Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • 'Designer Watches' are they worth it?
  • can-uk
    Free Member

I would like a nice formal watch.

I had been considering an Omega Railmaster or an IWC mark xvi.. but am reluctant to fork out $$$$ on another watch at the moment..

I’ve just seen a Hugo Boss watch that i quite like.. which is significantly cheaper.. but still hundreds of pounds..

So I was thinking.. with these ‘designer’ watches.. e.g Hugo Boss, Chanel, Armani etc.. are you mostly just paying for the brand.. or are these quality timepieces??

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There was an excellent thread on this topic a little while ago……

warton
    Free Member

paying for the brand IMO.

donsimon
    Free Member

paying for the brand IMO.

Traditionally, isn’t the brand a brand for a reason?

julianwilson
    Free Member

oh dear lord, not again!

(to save you reading the rest, what will now ensue is an argument discussion featuring several stw-ers with thousands of pounds worth of omega seamaters and various permutations of rolex, versus several stw-ers who swear by a £6 casio from Argos.)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Watch nerds seem to despise branded “designer” watches.

You’d be better off with a decent Seiko or similar “proper” brand timepiece for similar money.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon Julian that thread started out as a weak troll and went on to hit +300 posts. It makes fantastic reading.

nols
    Free Member

Ok so most of the brands you mentioned: Boss, Chanel, Armani etc are what would be defined as fashion watches. Personally I don’t think they have the same clout as an IWC, Omega, Panerai, Bell & Ross etc.
    As such, I wouldn’t buy one as your essentially paying over the odds for a relatively simple cheap watch mechanism with the word Chanel (or whatever) written on it.
    If you’ve got the money to do it then by all means by a proper watch from a respected watch manufacturer. There definitely over priced trinkets, but if you buy wisely then it’ll last forever. I have an Omega my parents bought me for my 21st that looks as good now as it did when I got it 13 years ago… Its been worn everyday, been all over the world and I’ve come to rely on it.

can-uk
    Free Member

oops.. sorry didn’t realise there was another thread.. will do a search!

Jerome
    Free Member

Get a Rolex Explorer Mk1 – end of thread…
    Wiill be a good investment – maybe..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wont use anything other than a Seamaster nowadays. I’ve had designer watches before and I’ve noticed that over the course of maybe two weeks, they can lose a couple of seconds. Doesnt sound like much, but when you work it out over 27 years (the amount of time I’ve had my seamaster), that works out to be alot of lost time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My Omega, handed down from my great-great grandfather, who wore it as a sumbmariner in both the Boer War and WW2 (Desert Fox campaign), can only be criticised for the fact that it is actually better now than it was when it was new, despite needing the time corrected on a daily basis, an a £500 bi-annual service.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I buy the most expensive watch I can afford, purely so I can calibrate my Gadgetia Super Pro espresso machine more accurately – trust me, the several thousands of pounds I’ve invested in both are more than compensated for by the exquisite Creme Caramel Frapuccinos I produce. The other essential ingredient is soncically perfect hi-fi equipment blasting out ‘Money For Nothing’ by Dire Straits. Yes, people will argue that all those items are an extravagance, but what do they know? I buy Superstar sintered pads to balance the branding scales.

Jerome
    Free Member

Wow an omega wristwatcj in 1900.

brassneck

BWD, you sound worryingly close to the Genesis monologue in American Psycho

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

BWD – 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

My girlfriends mum treated me to a Rolex datejust, it’s a limited edition one and more bling than I would have picked for myself (I’m not complaining) I used to have a Tag Heuer F1 that I had for over 12 years, it’s still ticking away in my drawer, I like watches and wouldn’t buy one purely for the name but I understand how some people do as a status symbol. Depends if your the kind of person who would buy a ferarri as you like driving/engineering/motorsport or because it’s a ferarri.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at Dire Straits & high end hifi reference – funny because it’s true.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

LOLs at Dire Straits & high end hifi reference – funny because it’s true.

Was just thinking the same 8)

GrahamS

I wonder if women argue about their chosen jewellery in the same way.

“Well Sandra, this bracelet has five Marquise Diamonds, all 2 carat and rated VG or Ex.”

“Bah mine has six one-carat Cushion Diamonds in open claw settings, butted with emeralds and surrounding a central three carat Asscher Diamond”

“Listen girls, I got mine from Lizzy Dukes for a tenner. It has five cubic zirconia and it does the job just as well as your fancy pants expensive bracelets – though the strap does turn my skin green. ”

Junkyard
    Free Member

that works out to be alot of lost time.

And time is money David 😉
    your girlfriends mum bought you a watch for thousands of pounds….is that actually true?

loddrik
    Free Member

Designer watches are indeed shite. I am sort of a watch nerd and not really into dressy watches. Something like a rolex sub is the perfect allrounder as does dressy and tool with aplomb. Sinn watches are my vice though as they are superb value fir money.

I’ve got 2 watches – A Seiko diver’s watch I bought in 1993 and an Omega Seamaster my then girlfrield bought for my 30th birthday.

If I had neither and had to buy myself a similar watch, I’d go out and buy today’s equivalent of the Seiko which is about £300 I think. It’s not fashion branded or a status symbol, just a good dependable watch that looks alright.

GrahamS

I wont use anything other than a Seamaster nowadays. I’ve had designer watches before and I’ve noticed that over the course of maybe two weeks, they can lose a couple of seconds. Doesnt sound like much, but when you work it out over 27 years (the amount of time I’ve had my seamaster), that works out to be alot of lost time.

Given that you presumably alter the time twice a year for daylight savings then (assuming it always drifts in the same direction at the stated rate of two seconds in two weeks) the maximum error you’d be faced with would be around 31 seconds.

Terrifying. That’s a problem that is easily worth spending thousands of pounds to solve. 🙄

warton
    Free Member

Traditionally, isn’t the brand a brand for a reason?

Yes, they make expensive, in most cases quality clothes. Watch Brands such as Omega, Rolex etc make expensive, quality watches, I wouldn’t buy a Rolex coat.

D4declivity
    Free Member

The posh makes are overpriced too. If you’re not bothered about the name on the dial there are plenty of high quality makes that use the ETA2824 automatic movement a la Omega & Oris but don’t have the reputation and charge much less. Sinn (who make Bell & Ross watches), Glycine, Doxa, Eterna, Lemania etc. Big problem is they’re only available on the net so you can’t get a look at them and I’ll admit I haven’t been taken enough looking at a screen to chance it yet. I’d love a Sinn U1 though, Loddrik. Where do you get yours from?
    My best watches, modern & vintage all came from auctions, boot sales & autojumbles.

jools182
    Free Member

branded designer watches like chanel, hugo boss etc are a complete waste of money

they are no better than a cheap casio or seiko

I think if you want a really good expensive watch you have to look at watchmakers line Tag, Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Omega, Breitling etc

Jerome
    Free Member

Lots of money to be made in watches if you know what you are doing, specially at the moment with low savings returns.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yet you still can’t get more accurate than an atomic/radio synching watch made by someone like Casio.

Tiger6791
    traildog
    Free Member

Most designer watches are quartz and as such they probably lose less time than the more expensive proper watch brands. It really depends on what you want from a watch.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It really depends on what you want from a watch.

This may be a little controversial but…

…tell the time?

thepurist

It really depends on what you want from a watch.

Ah but Matt, if you accept that for some people a bike can be more than a means of getting from A to B (or A to A for most of us), that a car can be more than a means of transport, that a piece of fabric can be more than a means of keeping you warm and decent, that food can be more than sustenance then what’s wrong with saying that a wristwatch can be more than a means of keeping time?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Yet you still can’t get more accurate than an atomic/radio synching watch made by someone like Casio.

An atomic watch??? 😯

Hang on, I’ll just start my count down timer for this boiled egg…

3…

2…

1…

flebby
    Free Member

Look a knob and spend less

lol

I think the “tell the time” element of a watch is less important these days given that most people carry a mobile phone everywhere they go, so don’t really need a watch anyway. Yeah, a good watch should keep good time, but most people probably buy on what it looks like and brand cachet than actually how much of a precision piece of kit it is.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yes, an atomic watch.

thepurist – well a fairly cheap digital watch will do way way more than a big bucks Omega/Breitling/whatever and probably be more accurate 😉

I know the main reason people get flashy watches – and it took a while to realise.

It’s something on you at all times that’s a bit “shouty” You may have left your 911 outside, your big boat may be at the marina, your huge house might be miles away but fear not, the flashy watch shows that you are well and truly loaded at all times.

In many cases though, the car, boat, big house, etc don’t actually exist… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheap Casio keep perfect time and are extremely robust.

Anything else is a fashion item.

cynic-al
    Free Member

D4declivity – Member
    The posh makes are overpriced too. If you’re not bothered about the name on the dial there are plenty of high quality makes that use the ETA2824 automatic movement a la Omega…

How do folk KNOW this or that Sunn watches are good value? Been in the industry or something…or just read it in magazines/forums?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘'Designer Watches' are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.