Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Descender Bender @ mabie
  • Monster101

New redrafted section pish, prefer old rocky singletrack

Anyone agree?

Getting pissed off with sanitisation of trails. Carron Valley Cannonball run just had the same treatment

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well one man’s “sanitisation” is another man’s “going round a 180 berm almost horizontal feeling the g forces” 😀

Northwind

Monster101 – Member

Anyone agree?

Nope.

althepal

What’s with all the bumps at CV now.? Is so you can pump the trail?? Seems to be all pump and no circumstance..
    Don’t see how that will help newbies to the sport either..

thegman67

Mate was at Mabie yesterday he prefers the gnarly descent feels they have spoiled it

Monster101

Spoke to a couple of people in the car park, they agreed! Liked the berms but the wide track before and after is poor!

My wee boy likes the re sculpted Carron Valley cannonball run but some of the pump rollers seem to be in odd places and they have removed the sharp turn and “that rock” 🙁 always gave the heart a flutter at full pelt

Northwind

It’s fresh machine-built trail, so it’s wide and flat. Give it a year for the edges to encroach and the surface to wear in.

MartynS

rode it on Tuesday. Never ridden there before so I don’t know what it was like. Its different to what I normally do/like and defiantly felt more bike park than any of the other trail centres I’ve done. To be fair though, that’s only Marin/Penmachno in Wales!!

Enjoyed it though.. bit short but good fun. Wouldn’t make a special trip but if I’m passing again..

grum
    Free Member

Where was the gnarly descent at Mabie before?

Monster101

Agreed it should bed in better, however berm baby berm was outstanding from the get go and descender bender has more of a vertical drop

Northwind

True dat. TBH Berm Baby Berm’s a fantastic bit of work.

But does Descender Bender not retain bits of the old trail? (could be wrong but it felt that way, new bits wanged into an old track)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

First couple of laps I didn’t rate it but its grown on me, old surface was still better though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Descender bender has been resurfaced and follows the old one. Of course you can miss out the sections and do an off-piste ultra slippy old school downhill should you so wish, which gets interesting in the wet, and of course you can find other ways to descend too, in a local stylee, not so far from the madding crowds.

mintimperial

all pump and no circumstance..

*polite applause*

Trekster

Funny how the auld brain plays tricks on you. Mabie is my “home” trail and is where I started mtbing a few 😳 yrs ago. Rode the new section 4 times over the weekend and the “brain” had me sheeting myself/bike up for the auld trail which causes nae end of bother ❗
    Have voiced my opinions to the guys responsible for the berms, doubles and various “features” which crop up on the trails….seems they no best what “clients” want.

Trekster

rudedog
    Free Member

Thought the new section was good

althepal

Cheers mintimperial!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Here you go for anyone who wants to know what we’re talking about.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jW_HPnhOA[/video]

vannic96
    Free Member

Yeah, afraid I’m with you on this Monster101. Spoilt it. Much preferred it as it used to be, was a whole lot more entertaining, even on a hardtail. As you say trails are getting far too sanitized now. 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – its not sanitisation its repair,

Trails like this erode and wear getting looser and bumpier until the surface is gone when they then need extensive and expensive repair.

When repair by machine building ( as anything else is too expensive) you get a smooth surface until it beds in. its a cyclical process and will simply continue.

Erodes, repaired . moans. erodes repair moan ad nauseum.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

TJ its not just a repair of the original surface though, new features have been added and the whole feel of the descent is different its as if it has been downgraded to blue.

vannic96
    Free Member

There’s repairing and there’s repairing. In my view it didn’t need to be so comprehensively “repaired”, money could have been saved and put to good use where/when it was really needed.

ChrisL

TJ its not just a repair of the original surface though, new features have been added and the whole feel of the descent is different its as if it has been downgraded to blue.

I’d be really very surprised if anything like those new berms turned up on a blue route in the near future!

I don’t have particularly strong memories of what that descent was like before the rebuild. I remember it had a few small berms and was fairly fast. It was quite an old bit of trail IIRC, the berms probably seemed bigger before Spooky Wood at Glentress got rebuilt (and similar trails sprung up in various places) and I expect it wasn’t as rough when it was first built as it was before it got changed.

I would not be surprised if the logic behind the changes was to make something that was fast and bermy like how it used to be, but updated to reflect how many people are used to bigger berms and faster trails at trail centres these days.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Go to dalbeatie then, if you dont like Mabie, there is something for everyone in the 7 stanes.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I like the new section it flows much better than it previously did and as many have mentioned it will bed in and roughen up over time, though I do fear they may rebuild the elevator/bad step descent too which is a lovely rough, worn in piece of trail.

If you want harder, rougher technical descents then there are plenty around.

scruff
    Free Member

If you dont like it go get involved in the trailbuilding and put some effort in or shut up whining.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scruff – Member

If you dont like it go get involved in the trailbuilding and put some effort in or shut up whining.

Trekster

TandemJeremy – Member
    scruff – Member

There is no option to get involved anywhere on the D&G trails

When Rob had the Ae shop he did a survey after seeing the negative threads on here and elsewhere. He managed to get a group together and with support from Tally @ Upliftscotland started repairing/upgrading the bits that were highlighted in his survey. Sadly that group could not be sustained for various reasons. The repaired sections then got slagged for being too smooth, no pleasing some people 👿

For the moment there does not seem to be any mechanism or way to influence the way trail repairs/development takes shape.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Large ugly manmade feature in manmade forest shocker,

However it will all wash away come the summer deluges

stevewhyte
    Free Member

In a few years the new section will have some vegitation on it and be a bit more rutted, it will look more part of the trails.

I am more worried about what happens once the funding vanishes for the trails, as i dont see the useless D&G council putting money in to them.

For a region that has so much going for it in terms of both mountain and road cycling its has very poor support from the LA.

Trekster

^^^^^^^^^^^ 💡

Trekster

For a region that has so much going for it in terms of both mountain and road cycling its has very poor support from the LA

True up until last year and they support the Go-Ride clubs that have sprung up with more on the way hopefully
    Max High is part of a Cycling Scotland project
    http://www.cyclingscotland.org/our-projects/award-schemes/cycle-friendly-schools/
    http://www.southwestscotlandcyclingproject.com/page/page/7885620.htm

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It needs so much more.

rudedog
    Free Member

This talk of sanitisation and reducing the section to blue grade had me a bit confused to be honest – i don’t remember anything technical or challenging on this section of trail prior to the resurfacing?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its wasnt technical or fast, its was a bit of a mess, hence why it got changed, and much for the better. It adds something to an ready nice flowing downhill, its a shame they couldnt connect the first section to the new section without the short bit of forest road that kind of stiffles it.

Northwind

See, I have absolutely no memory at all of the old trail, it just got filed under generic trail centre stuff- I thought I remembered it, but it turned out I was remembering a bit of generic trail centre stuff at Ae instead.

Whereas the berms the size of houses, I will remember.

But yeah, if they mess up the Bad Step and the bits preceding it, I will be wroth, that’s a lovely bit of trail and it’s the sort of thing that the current techniques don’t do well. Could possibly do with some sort of warning for the unwary- “Watch out, big **** off black feature right in the middle of a flowy red trail”, perhaps- but still. Very good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I love it. And I can also see the logic in why they build trails like this, It means all riders can ride it, the slower newbie riders rolling the doubles etc, and the more experienced riders hitting those at speed. Horses for courses though, some people won’t like it, I appreciate that.

It’s all biking.

Euro
    Free Member

Someone builds and maintains trails for you to ride and you have the cheek to bitch about it??? Some people don’t appreciate how lucky they are.

stevious

Went to Mabie a few weeks ago. Rode the new berms. THought ‘that was jolly good fun – isn’t it great that they’re still investing in the trails’. Went about the rest of my day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Descender Bender @ mabie’ is closed to new replies.