Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Derwen green trail Brechfa
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Suitable for an absolute and pretty unfit novice?

For context I think that Blue Scar would be marginally too difficult both on climbs and perception of technicality (just because of that little rock plated bit at the start of Jim Crow)

ahwiles
    Free Member

The green at Brechfa is fairly mellow, but lots of it is true singletrack. Which can freak people out…

it’s quiet, and does have a remote feeling, which can also unsettle people, especially if they’re tired, and you can’t tell them exactly how much further they have to go.

(saying ‘i’m sure it’s not much further’ isn’t as reassuring as you’d think)

The final descents are great fun, easy fast swoopy singletrack.

it’s a ‘mountain bike’ green, not a ‘family trail’ green, does that make sense?

The additional blue bit is actually quite gnarly.

rusty90
    Free Member

The green’s an ideal introductory trail IMO and is regularly done by novices and tiny tots. Walk up the hilly bits and take it easy on the descents and lots of opportunities to bail out and return by fireroad.

shadowfax

The ultimate beginner’s trail. Challenging without being scary at any point.

You’ll be fine.

ferrals
    Free Member

Perfect! thanks all.

(saying ‘i’m sure it’s not much further’ isn’t as reassuring as you’d think)

Unfortunately I have previous on this too, when we set off from Margam on a short loop, I got confused and kept saying those exact words till we came out in Maesteg 😳

timidwheeler

The Brechfa green was my first proper mountain bike trail. I remember being so nervous of the descent down to the bus stop. I’ve been back since and it isn’t worthy of note. I was really surprised that it had scared me. The climb back out from the bus stop also made me gasp for breath. (This stayed the same when I went back.)
    It’s a great trail and suitable for anyone to ride. Just be understanding if they get scared by a feature you can’t even see. Also make it clear at the beginning, that there are a couple of short, steep climbs and you don’t mind if they want to walk up them.
    I can genuinely say the Brechfa green played a big part in me wanting to get into mountain biking. It was the most fun I had ever had on a bike and I hope your friend has a great time too.

ferrals
    Free Member

went with wife yesterday, typically we rode through the one portion of the day when it was pissing down. Didn’t do the whole green, about a third of the way round we too a fireroad left which went up a hill and then met up with the returning green trail (this was more my instigation than hers due to time limitations).

but lots of it is true singletrack. Which can freak people out…

This happened – not so much the singletrack per se as the bits that are cut into the side of the hill and the drop away to one side.

Just be understanding if they get scared by a feature you can’t even see

Again its amazing that the bits you perceive as a mild roller are seen as massive jumps.

Still main thing was she really enjoyed it and wants to go back. Think I probably need to do a tiny bit of technique coaching before next time. Up till now all our mtb has been on grassy open moorland tracks and it wasn’t till we got to single track i realized I’d never mentioned you should stand and pedal to tricky bits 😳

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Derwen green trail Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.