Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Depression and running a business
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

There’s been quite a few threads on here re:depression

I have just been reading a blog about a chap running a business and how he mentioned it failed due to the quite talented guy suffering from bouts depression, are there any success stories out there of people?

rone

My business partner suffered for a while, not sure what he did to put it right in the end (counselling?). But he’s still here with me now.

Not sure it was the business causing it though, necessarily.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know if it counts but Winston Churchill managed to combine a prime ministerial career and long-term depression, or his “black dog” as he called it. I imagine running a global war effort has some similarities with running a business.

perchypanther
    Free Member

JK Rowling also seems to be doing OK for herself.

the-muffin-man

Running a business usually causes depression!

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Depression is a complex issue, nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. Its an illness just like any other. My advice, seek professional help, but try avoid anti depression medication….

badnewz
    Free Member

Ive known a few people who were depressed because of corporate, working for the man, life.
    Since they’ve set up their own businesses they’ve regained some autonomy and the depression has alleviated. But it can’t be much fun running a failing business, with creditors at the door.

simmy
    Free Member

I suffer depression and have my own business but i work completely alone so if I don’t do it, money doesn’t come in and the bills don’t get paid.

It’s not as simple as that though. The main issue I have is the isolation. When I was employed, it was easy to just vent off to one of the other lads about ” the ********** customer who is a nightmare ” now it’s just keep it all in.

One thing I have done though is cut the hours back a bit. I was averaging 5 x 11 hour days and about 6 hours on a weekend which left me no time for anything apart from work and just put me in a bad mood as, by the time I was getting in, I was too tired to go out for a ride.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Ive known a few people who were depressed because of corporate, working for the man, life.
    Since they’ve set up their own businesses they’ve regained some autonomy and the depression has alleviated.

I had figured it would be more this .

funkmasterp

but try avoid anti depression medication….

Curious as to why you think it should be avoided? Dread to think where I’d be now without it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Since they’ve set up their own businesses they’ve regained some autonomy and the depression has alleviated.

A lot depends on what the root of the depression is, won’t it?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Depression and running a business’ is closed to new replies.