Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Deore/SLX or Zee for an Alps trip?
  • andylitespeed
    Free Member

Wanting to change the Avids on my AM bike as I don’t really like them.

Tempted to go for the Zee’s but wondered if Deore or SLX would be ok for a week in the Alps?

Any other 15 Stone blokes have experience of them?

coogan
    Free Member

SLX worked fine for me in the Alps and Spain, great brakes. Deore meant to be just as good, but never used them personally.

scruff
    Free Member

SLX fine for me, even have them on my DH bike. I’d prefer Zee but they cost alot more and very few deals to be had.

Northwind

Does depend on how you ride and what flavour of alps, would be fine for me on my alps hols but you might want to go somewhere more downhilly, or you might be more brakedraggy. Still I reckon any of the 3 is a good shout.

Andy_K

SLX more than good enough for the Alps these days. If you’re concerned about fade get the ice-tech rotors too.

andylitespeed
    Free Member

thanks for the replies, very helpful!

Think I’ll save a bit of money and go with Deore or SLX

Trip is mostly DH, always try and avoid dragging but in the past Gustavs were the only brakes I’ve not had issues with.

scruff
    Free Member

I’d suggest using only Resin pads for the larger gentleman. I took Superstar but they were lasting half the time of proper Shimanos. Oh and 200mm rotors.

andylitespeed
    Free Member

ice-tech and resin pads noted – cheers!

Scamper
    Free Member

Used both Deore and SLX in the Alps, no issues at all, but I’m only an average rider at best. Latest Deore 615m also take ice tech pads. Now use Zee, partly as they offer better modulation than SLX/XT.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Deore/SLX or Zee for an Alps trip?’ is closed to new replies.