Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dell monitor warranty experience?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Anyone dealt with Dell for a monitor warranty?

I have two odd bright points that have appeared on mine, for no damn reason at all. Now the right hand side of the screen has odd pinkish and green tinge/patches as well on the right 1/5th.

It’s not a stuck pixel, it’s probably the diffuser. You can see the bad one near the top right of this pic, and the not so bad one just above the pointer, though the interference in the camera makes it hard. I have no idea if the colours come out.

The monitor is a 13month old Dell from ebuyer IIRC.

Any tips etc when dealing with them?

andyl
    Free Member

No monitor experience but had to claim when my laptop screen got a load of black marks in it from something breaking up. And it needed a new case as most of the holes had been over countersunk at the factory so were stripped and some screws had been glued in!

First guy from getronics (company they use for on site warranties) turned up in an old banger full of dell boxes and food packaging and his clothes covered in food stains. Despite the alarms going off in my head I let him take the laptop apart but had to go out for a walk so I couldn’t watch. When I got back my laptop was in pieces and he realised he had the wrong chassis and the new screen was broken. When he put it back together with the old bits he had managed to corrupt the OS.

He offered to fix it. I told him to leave.

Next guy met me at work to do it. Also from getronics but this guy turned up with all the bits neatly in his car. He set to work in a tidy manner and did it all very quickly and left me with a fully working laptop.

The same fault to the screen occurred again a few months later. I didn’t bother getting it done again as it will just end up as my data logger laptop soon.

Hopefully they will either swap it out for you or send someone like guy 2!

Cougar

I can’t imagine that that they’d send an engineer to swap the panel in a monitor. It’s barely cost-effective to DIY, let alone pay to send a man in a van halfway across the country.

Call me Mr Wild And Crazy, but have you considered asking Dell?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sure, I am going to ask them what they’ll do.

I thought it is sometimes better to be forewarned than 4 armed.

Uhh, or something.

No – seriously, you I never know what tips there may be out there 🙂

marmaduke
    Free Member

Just print-screen and send it to them so they can see the damage.

andyl
    Free Member

I can’t imagine that that they’d send an engineer to swap the panel in a monitor. It’s barely cost-effective to DIY, let alone pay to seund a man in a van halfway across the country.

This is dell we are talking about!

martinhutch

Just print-screen and send it to them so they can see the damage.

🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Heh. Good one.

COTD 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is it in warranty if it’s 13 months anyway?

Still, contact ebuyer first. They’re the ones your contract is with and first point of contact to sort out issues. Even out of manufacturers warranty, they can still be argued to sort it out if failed before a reasonable time.

If all else fails, then Dell. If it’s out of warranty, Dell with tell you to go to hell. Had one just out of warranty and asked about them fixing it for a fee. They said chuck it away and buy a new one as they don’t do repairs out of warranty.

Local monitor repair bloke wanted £100 to fix. New one was barely much more.

Cougar

Could be, donno about Dell specifically but I’ve seen some manufacturers warranty monitors for up to three years. “Warranty” aside though it’s still covered by EU law (two years on electricals) and the SoGA (up to six years).

Still, contact ebuyer first.

Ah, yes, good spot, I’d missed that. Your contract is with them and it’s their responsibility to make good.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Could be, donno about Dell specifically but I’ve seen some manufacturers warranty monitors for up to three years.

Yep, three years, and within this time they will come to your house and replace the faulty monitor with a …..

ancient Pentium 4 tower?!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dell monitor warranty experience?’ is closed to new replies.