• This topic has 74 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Running….
  • Sam

I used to run quite a bit in my school days – mostly I was a 400 runner and did some 1500s as I dabbled in decathlon before I really discovered bikes. I did our school cross country and some 10-15k fun runs but never trained for distance running. Since that time I’ve run barely at all – with the exception of a brief and ill-fated dalliance with triathlon in the mid-90s. However the past year I’ve started running again, just getting out a bit with the dog. It wears her out more quickly than walking and gets me some exercise too. Not that far and not that fast – 5-10km two or three times a week.

I read something a while back and the thought stuck with me – a relatively high proportion of marathon entrants are 39. I turn 39 in April. So I started thinking maybe I could give that a go… Being moderately sensible I have entered the Milton Keynes half marathon in May. Depending on how that goes I will make a decision as to whether I have a tilt at a full marathon – likely March 2016. However being moderately competitive I don’t want to just plod around, I could probably do that tomorrow and make it. I think a reasonably achievable goal is 1.30 for the half in May, then sub 3hrs for the big one.

Given that my primary focus for training is still cycling (predominantly endurance track and CX with a bit of XC mtb racing thrown in) I wonder how achievable this is likely to be and whether I can do it without having a detrimental impact on the cycling. Cycling training at present I’m doing one or two longer rides a week (2-3 hours solid tempo), two interval sessions a week, racing once a week (track or road circuit) and weights twice a week. I figure if I throw in one longer run 10-15km in weeks when I’m not racing, one running interval session at speed plus keep up the ‘dog jogs’ I should be good to go.

Thoughts?

molgrips
    Free Member

How hard it will be to train depends on your natural aptitude. It sounds like you have it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Most people i know who have built up to a marathon have lived like monks for the duration and just focused purely on running, eating & rest, nothing else.

If however you entered an Iron Man, you’d get to enjoy 3 disciplines throughout your training and you’d still get to ride your bike!

😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Sub 1.30 and sub 3 hours is bloody good pace .

nickc

that’s 7 min miles.

s’not impossible, but it’s hard. Can you run that fast?

Sam

I haven’t done a timed run on the road for quite a long time…. I guess that is the first step to see where I’m at now. Regular stops to open gates, cross roads and yell at the dog make it hard to get a handle on how fast I’m running now.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Maybe worth finding a flatish road 5km route. Do a timed tough effort and see what your time is…

That’ll give you an idea of where you are at. Sub 3 marathon is doable by a half decent club runner but takes ‘a bit of work’ to get there 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Sub 3 hours by a very decent club runner I reckon

sweaman2
    Free Member

I reckon that in order to get close to 3 hours you’re going to have to be a bit more dedicated to running for a bit.. 42km is a lot further than 15km so at some point you’d have to increase the distance a bit otherwise it’s going to be a long way.

crossland
    Free Member

From my experience sub 1.30 half is much easier to achieve than a sub 3hr marathon. To run sub 3 you need to be around 1.25 for a half. That for me will take some structured and dedicated training.

Sam

Yeah, I should have said that the ‘plan’ outlined above is intended for up until the 1/2 this May. If that goes well and I decide for a full I appreciate I’ll need some more dedicated running training. Will let you know how the 5k test goes…

cynic-al
    Free Member

As a cyclist who got into running at 42, I’d say you are very ambitious, and will need more running time than you think.

Running is very different to cycling and you simply need a lot of miles in your legs to get them used to it so you don’t get injured. It is very easy to overdo it as you have the strength but not the resistance to injury.

I’d be surprised/impressed if you got 1:30 in your half. I may not be as fit a you but I spent the best part of 3 years trying to get under 3hrs and got to 3:12. I’ve had a break but may try again.

richmars

Based on my experience, it’s mostly down to genetics. If you were born lucky, the times you’re after are possible with a bit of training. if not, still possible but with more training.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Doing a 90 minute 1/2 at your first attempt would be very good & i’d be quite jealous – I managed 2hours having put in a reasonable training effort (albeit not very focused).

tenfoot

Running is very different to cycling and you simply need a lot of miles in your legs to get them used to it so you don’t get injured. It is very easy to overdo it as you have the strength but not the resistance to injury.

This.^^ I started running back in September. My fitness was more than up to it, but I ran too far, too quickly and picked up a calf strain, during a run where I was 2 miles from home. I had to limp all the way back.

I laid off running for a month or so and have now built up to 10k, in 55 minutes, injury free. Next step for me, is to pick up the pace some more, without injuring myself.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you are reasonably natural at running then what you are planning should see you to 1:30. I also did this at my first attempt (but this was after a couple of years when I did the odd 5 and 10k race on little training). I suggest you build up the longer run to as close to the full distance as you can, albeit at a slower speed and only gradually (add 1-2k per week). The last bit of the race might still be a bit of a struggle otherwise.

As others have said, a 3h marathon is a rather different thing and would take a more dedicated plan. It took me two goes to manage that, and I only scraped it by the skin of my teeth.

Edric64
    Free Member

Started running in November 2013 and been injured to some extent since April 2014 .Now have a medial meniscus tear and awaiting an MRI to see if I get surgery or not

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

1:30 half and 3:00 marathon are very different beasts.
    My last couple of halfs have been 1:31 and 1:32, yet i’d be more than happy with a 3:20 marathon.
    The training loads needed to get that fast for that sort of distance are pretty heavy duty and you could write off any riding for several months (you won’t have time and will be knackered)

…unless you are very talented/fit/lucky

spacemonkey

Going from running a but to completing a marathon is one thing. Going from running a bit to completing a marathon sub 3hr is entirely different. I know good club runners who struggle to get close to the 4hr mark.

Like others have said, being good at a half doesn’t automagically endow you with the speed, endurance and mindset to keep it up for another half. A strong body and strong mind can often be defeated by “nothing left in the legs”. One can still finish, but the pace/time just goes out the window.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Sub 3 is the top end of most clubs, inhabited by 6-7 day a week runners doing 15-20 miles every Sunday and a weekly mileage upwards of 60 miles (up to 80+ when fully into marathon programme).
    They’ll be doing enough speed work and intervals to be cracking out 17 min 5k’s and sub 60min 10 milers as well.
    Big undertaking and not something i’d want to mix with bike training /racing.

again,…unless you are very talented/fit/lucky

mogrim

The one and only time I’ve trained for a marathon I did a 1:27HM 5 weeks before the main event, and 3:09 in the marathon itself. I followed a plan religiously for 16 weeks before the race, including a lot of time on the treadmill and heading out at the weekends despite snow, rain, wind etc. It’s definitely doable, but don’t underestimate the amount of time you’ll need to put into it – for me the weekends weren’t a problem, but midweek 1.5hr runs were a bit more complicated…

That was 2013, I’ve thought about going for the 3hr mark, but tbh I can’t be bothered. I’m no longer working at that office, and have less time available during the week. I’ve also since got into trail running, which is a lot more fun and trying to beat your PB isn’t an issue. And finishing an ultra is a much better high 🙂

D0NK

a relatively high proportion of marathon entrants are 39.

blokes fighting off the big 40 I’m past it feeling. Mate did a marathon last year for his 40th year, did ok too. Think he trained for about 9 months, sounds like you’re ahead of where he started from. He didn’t have a cycling habit to distract him tho.

My completely unsubstantiated ill-educated guess would be – once you’re running is into double figures other stuff needs to take a back seat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I’m realistically capable of a sub 3hr marathon. On Sunday I did my local 11.2km fairly hilly loop in 55 mins, which is about 7m50 pace and I am thrilled to bits with this having been running for quite a while. However I was buggered afterwards and my legs still hurt. The thought of going almost a minute faster for four times that distance is inconceivable.

Sam

Ok, the 3 hr marathon may be over ambitious…. At the moment the plan is to do the half and see how things go with that. I’ve plotted a route to run my 5km test so will give that a crack tomorrow.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I did this a couple of years ago.

Cycled twice a week and ran three times.

Ran 3:05 around Stockholm, so its definitely possible, it just depends on how much talent you’ve got and how committed you are.

I did it off a 16 week plan running one interval session, one tempo, and one long run a week combined with a couple threshold cycling sessions.

As has been said there is a world of difference between 1:30 and 3:00

nickc

once you’re running is into double figures other stuff needs to take a back seat.

hmmm, I’m not sure about that, I’ll happily run 20 miles round the Chilts and it doesn’t really effect my riding, but I’m not quick; 9min miles, which is only good for just sub 4hours. But I’m post 40 😆 and I’d say only reasonably fit.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

It’s taken me 6 months at 50 miles a week to get down from 1:40 to 1:30 half marathon, 44min to 39:03 10k and 20+min to 18:50 5k

That’s 5-6 days a week running (long runs, hills, track, recovery, tempo and racing).
    At 44 with a young family, i wouldn’t have had time to cycle as well (even if i’d had the energy!).

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

FWIW i did a marathon in April while still ‘half fit’. Did a 16 week programme and was running 1:40 half and 20min 5k at the time.
    Managed 3Hr45min but vowed not to do another until i was fit enough to do it justice…which i still don’t feel i am.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sam – Member
    I’ve plotted a route to run my 5km test so will give that a crack tomorrow.

Running hard when you aren’t used to it is risky.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have a look at the FIRST method, basically three runs a week and will allow you to fit some cycling in. Runners World also used to have a calculator, use your 5k time to predict your other theoretical times. My only advice is to make every run have a purpose and get good shoes, preferably from someone who knows what they are talking about. Half the battle is getting to the start line uninjured.

ajc
    Free Member

I know it has already been said. A 1.30 has no relation to a 3 hr marathon. I did 1.30 for my first half, but would never really hope to get much under 3.20-3.15 for full distance. That American cycling drugs cheat only just managed a sub 3 marathon at his first attempt and he was quite fast on a bike.

D0NK

nickc – Member
    hmmm, I’m not sure about that,

like I said random guess, mentalists will be able to ride hundreds of miles a week while still running 20+ a week. Other motivated but more “average” people will have family, work and social lives competing for their time.

I’m not far off 40, mrs was asking if I was going to try an iron man or something – “erm no I’d be training 2 – 3 times as much as I’m currently riding, not sure you’d appreciate that” not that I’m getting much fun riding in lately 🙁

oldboy
    Free Member

Why is the marathon such a holy grail for non runners? Beats me! Most competitive club road runners I know tend to use their 10K times as a yardstick to judge themselves and others by.

cynic-al
    Free Member

oldboy – Member

Why is the marathon such a holy grail for non runners? Beats me! Most competitive club road runners I know tend to use their 10K times as a yardstick to judge themselves and others by.

It’s more of a challenge.

oldboy
    Free Member

It’s more of a challenge.

Yes, exactly what most uninformed non-runners believe.

brassneck

My completely unsubstantiated ill-educated guess would be – once you’re running is into double figures other stuff needs to take a back seat.

I’m aiming for a 16M trail run at the end of March, and with family and work I don’t have time for anything else – what was my bike ride time on a Sunday morning is now long run time, the couple of evenings I have free are shorter faster runs.

I guess I could get up earlier 🙂 – but 6:00 is normal at the moment with a 4 year old..

molgrips
    Free Member

Trail running is vastly easier imo. I did a 15 mile mountain run a couple of years ago, in about 3 hours ish. Never would have considered running that far on road.

Sam

I guess the reason ‘why a marathon’ you could equally ask why people want to ride a century – a 40km TT is a much better gauge. Why do people do sportives when they could just ride the route – they want some recognition of accomplishment. Call me shallow but I’d like to have done one. Yes, I’d also like to run a sub 40 10k….

nickc

as a measure of speed over distance maybe, but a marathon is still bragging rights. 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

“Yes, I’d also like to run a sub 40 10k….”

A sub 40 10k is a lot easier than a 3hr marathon.
    My 10k is 39:03 but no way am i near 3 hrs for a marathon.
    6:17 min/mile for 39 mins is a LOT easier than the 6:52 m/m you need to do to run 3 hrs.
    3hr marathon runners need to be doing 35/36 min 10k’s!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Running….’ is closed to new replies.