Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)
  • Defender 110, Ugly or elegant?
  • Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Wife wants a posh Mitsubishi Outlander, I want a Defender 110 9 seater, both would be fairly new.
    I think the defender is as at home on a farmyard as it is outside a nice restaurant.
    Thoughts??

TooTall
    Free Member

Defender has no manners, ugly, terrible handling on the road and levels of comfort last developed in the Austin Allegro. Heap of crap, but loved by blinkered devotees the world over. The SS of 4WD – does some things very well, but at one pace and with no quarter given for comfort.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Having this delivered next week:

I think it looks quite cool!

Outlander is trying a bit too hard IMO. Freelander 2 is cooler.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It’s functional looking. Don’t buy either if you want to pose.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d have one but there again I’d use it for what its made for. I’m a ‘functional’ person me.
    Anyway, I think it says ‘you can **** about with me, but don’t **** me about’ kinda thing.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It looks don’t **** with me If it’s dirty, if it’s clean it looks geeky.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It looks don’t **** with me If it’s dirty, if it’s clean it looks geeky
    hmm.. that sounds about right actually. you don’t **** about with Dales farmers do you!

geoffj

The 110 is way cooler than the Mitsubishi.
    BUT a 110 is uncomfortable, noisy and unsafe (don’t pass us safety specs)
    the Mitsubishi will be much nicer to live with.
    Depends what you want.

I love landrovers and owned a 110 for a few years. I’d have another if I could justify it.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like the look of it but I prefer Landcruiser FJ40 even more.

😆

Northwind

It’s certainly not elegant, but it’s functional looking and stylish in its own way. “We need to put this taller engine in it” “Fine, we’ll just put a massive lump in the bonnet” sorted.

geoffj

I used to drive one of the FJ40s in Kenya. Short wheelbase, 4 l petrol engine and 3 gears. Tough as old boots. Brilliant!

Markie
    Free Member

Don’t buy either if you want to pose

I think it depends on the kind of poser you are…

nwilko
    Free Member

slow,
    drinks fuel,
    no elbow / shouler room,
    side impacts dont bear thinking about,
    leak,
    cost a fortune to service,
    chassis rots,
    steel bodycappings rot,
    great fun off road, rubbish on..
    a toy..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

defender as ‘bushi will be worth **** all in 10 years

chewkw
    Free Member

Pose if you are FJ40 bird above otherwise get a Landcruiser. 😆

TooTall
    Free Member

I think it depends on the kind of poser you are…

If you wear Finisterre or Boden clothing and you work in a modern trendy media job, it is right up there.

fisha
    Free Member

slow,
    drinks fuel,
    no elbow / shouler room,
    side impacts dont bear thinking about,
    leak,
    cost a fortune to service,
    chassis rots,
    steel bodycappings rot,
    great fun off road, rubbish on..
    a toy..

All of the above. but its still great. I miss my old one in its various guises. I’d buy one over a mitsu any day.

andrewh
    Free Member

If you need an off-roader then get the Landy.
    If you don’t actually need it then Volvo/Audi/Subaru/Skoda/etc all have good 4×4 estates, we will laugh at you in an Outlander.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I like LR’s, used to own an ex mil Lightweight when I was younger, but for day to day life I’d choose a softroader over a Defender anytime unless I had a need to be travelling greenlanes on a regular basis.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

No you can’t pose in any LR with any credibility. It’s a tool. Posing with it just doesn’t work. The only people who will be impressed are other LR fans who will want to tell you stories of thiers. It’s not a novelty product either, those who buy it for novelty soon get bored.

rootes1

Defender have to drive with the window down all weathers to give some room for your arm, and they only feel right to drive if you wear wellies!

cranberry
    Free Member

All of the above. but its still great. I miss my old one in its various guises. I’d buy one over a mitsu any day.

^^^^^ Wot he said.

They are superb vehicles. Far from perfect, they leak, are slow, blah, blah, blah. Mine puts a smile on my face each morning when I climb into it, whether I am driving to work, or off to North Africa for a spot of camping.

Tiger6791

110 is an icon,

the other is generic jap stuff.

Jap stuff is an all round, more modern better vehicle but an icon it ain’t

Simples!

benjamins11
    Free Member

I used to have a 110. Now I have a sensible saloon. The saloon is far more sensible and practical day to day, but I still really, and I mean really miss the landy.

Hohum
    Free Member

4 by 4s do nothing for me, so my honest response to you is that both look like keech, sorry.

Hohum
    Free Member

sorry again, double post

chewkw
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – Member

110 is an icon,

Simples!

Icon!? They are no good if you are stuck in the jungle and your life depends on it. 😆

mattbee

Not as cool as a 90 but more space inside. I’m 6’2″ and I have no elbow banging problems or leg room issues, even with military sliding windows. I do get wet knees when it rains though, so swings and roundabouts….

timber

Defenders are utilitarian, tool for the job. I have one for work, albeit a 130, but at home its a mondeo estate for mile munching bike transportation and hopefully a fun 2-seater too in the near future.

If you’re not going to use it as intended, it’ll be a waste, a drain and you’ll look like a pretender.

None of this is an excuse to get the outlander though, that really is pointless, excels at nothing I can think of.

Any more than 10k miles a year and get a capable car based 4wd if you need some field and track capability, may even swap one of the 110 at work for something like that.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Versatracks should come as standard.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

“Defender have to drive with the window down all weathers to give some room for your arm, and they only feel right to drive if you wear wellies!”

It makes no difference, you’ll get cold and wet either way if it rains, as all the heater does is stir the fog about really and you have to drive with the window down to get any kind of demisting effect at all, after a year or two, water pours in from every orifice and the sterring rack will fall off as you turn right in rush hour traffic. If you’re really lucky you still get wet even when it doesn’t rain.

I’ve got a 100 inch hybrid and it’s poo for all the reasons mentioned above, but I love it too bits.

Tiger6791

chewkw – Member

Icon!? They are no good if you are stuck in the jungle and your life depends on it

Explain the relevance to the OP?

and also the logic behind this?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Heated seats and aircon in ours (and heated windscreen) – almost a bit too luxury really! It might even keep the rain out?!

Being delivered next Saturday and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

110 is an icon,

Simples!

Indeed. 🙂

As said before, if you NEED a vehicle to go offroad, carry mountains of crap, dogs, sheep etc, that can be litererally hosed out when it gets too filthy to press the pedals to the floor, tow more than its own weight, that can have all manner of stuff bolted to it to do certain jobs (The hole in older landies in the back ‘bumper’ was for fitting a power take off, I believe) and that can be repaired and modified ad-infinitum, get a Landy. Nothing else will do.
    They simply wipe the floor with the pretenders.

If you don’t need any of this, there’s simply no point even thinking about it.

One of my pet hates is Landys that are nice and shiny, with posh alloy wheels and all the trendy accessories on them, that obviously never get used as intended.

Tiger6791

@Surf-Mat

As soon as you get, read this and check.

Also really worth looking at some of the electrolyte corrosion issues or it will happen. It’s not a real problem but it’s ugly

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tiger – cheers. Struggling to download it but will try later.

Going to get it full waxoyled and protected as much as possible. Will also be jet-washing it regularly to get all the salt and crap off.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are not a farmer or some other type that needs a defender, you will look a TOTAL KNOB in one. Fact.

Talk about wannabe.

What would you think of someone walking around with a surfboard who never surfed, just to try and look cool?

marcus
    Free Member

Mat – Nice truck.. I’ve not driven 1 of the ‘new’ ones with decent spec, transit engine and 6 (12) speed box. Might change the old discovery for 1 soonish though – probably a 110 utility for tax / vat reasons. How did it drive at speed, i.e. could you live with doing say 100 miles at 70 / 75 on the motorway and still be sane when you got there?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you are not a farmer or some other type that needs a defender, you will look a TOTAL KNOB in one.

We are in this category.

Calm down FFS Mol – you do make a complete t1t of yourself at times.

We live in rural Cornwall, not urban Cardiff. We have a boat to tow. We have a 5 acre “smallholding.” We love green laning. We wanted one so got one.

My “realistic” (poor mans!) “dream garage” is now complete. 😆

Marcus – slightly wierdly only tested a 90XS 2.4D a couple of years ago but driven 1000s of miles in the older TD5 110s. The 90 was pretty good – the XS extras are genuinely useful (ABS, traction control) and the newer interior, while still basic, it a lot better. I’d say anything over 80 is a bit much – it’s happier at 70-75ish but does so fine. The extra torque of the newer unit really does help keep it going and feels fairly smooth (relatively speaking). Also has a nifty “anti stall” function that’s pretty useful. Still crude and noisy but better than it was! Had it for a 24 hour test drive and drove to Plymouth and back (about 80-90 miles) and was still alive when we got back! Takes some adjusting to but it’s definitely easier to live with in normal conditions.

hora
    Free Member

Oldschool Range Rover. Sheer class.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Defender 110, Ugly or elegant?’ is closed to new replies.