Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Deeply unfashionable – saddlebags
  • bearnecessities

I don’t want a back-pack. Just something to carry a spare tube, tools, keys etc and maybe a piece of flapjack 🙂 . I last had a spesh thing that expanded out, which was great but rattled like a bastard.

Is there anything cheaper or better than one of these (medium)?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/topeak-aero-wedge-strap-on-saddle-bag/rp-prod7361

Sorry, I know it’s dull, but there’s a wealth of random knowledge here!

Ta.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My name is Paul, and I’m a saddlebag user (the shame) 😳

I’ve got the strap-on version (ahem) on my cross bike, and the clip on version on my road bike. I much prefer the clip-on version FWIW.

Tools, CO2, tube, patches, bit of cash all fit.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I use a little Spesh expander wedge pack (velcro fit). It has taped zips so keeps rain out. Prefer velcro fittings than those click-in ones as you can strap them up tighter and so minimise rattle. Puncture kit, minipump, spoke key, multitool etc. I then choose the largest oily rag or J cloth that can be crammed in there. Rattles gone. Handy rag.

*Edit: Fashion? I’m riding a bicycle…enjoying self too much to mince about wondering who is watching.

bearnecessities

Well done Paul. Admitting it is winning the battle. Round of applause for Paul everyone 🙂

Interesting about clip on thanks; I’d assumed that was unnecessary complications.

Edit: Never thought about shoving a rag in there. Good idea.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I went back to saddle bags, bottles and jersey pockets for short rides. Backpack comes along only on longer rides. Best saddle pack I’ve found for my purposes is the Ortlieb Micro. Waterproof, dropper compatible (attaches to saddle rails with a quick release buckle), and zipperless (roll closure). Takes a couple of tubes, tyre levers and a patch kit. I found it much better, especially if you’re using a dropper, than the Topeak Wedge which I’ve also used.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Screw fashion, I’ve used one for a while, cant be doing with a sweaty back from a backpack.

the topeak jobbies tend to let water in when it rains heavily and mine split after a year or so. I switched to an ortlieb thingy and its been excellent, tools dont rust and more importantly flapjack doesnt get damp.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Well done Paul. Admitting it is winning the battle. Round of applause for Paul everyone

Many thanks. I can now move on… 🙂

I take the bag off to put the bike(s) in the stand for cleaning and lubing. The clip-on/off ones are less of a faff. Just my tuppence.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Ortlieb Micro-pack and Saddle Bag in Medium here. Waterproof and looks…not too bad 😉

nedrapier

My name is Ed, and I have a bike-packing problem.

I have a Wildcat Ocelot framebag, which gets strapped on for most rides. Tools, pump, tubes. Plus food for long rides, jumper for evening pub rides. Poss camera, depending. Means I don’t have to fit pump clips to each bike, too.

bearnecessities

Ooh, from a forum search I’d come across ortlieb but I thought were more expensive than that. £17 is bang on budget really.

Think that may be it sorted for what I need. This place is great.

scaredypants

I use those tool-bottle thingies – thur gud IMO

I’m not totally averse to a saddlebag though, tend to use one when it’s really hot and I want both bottle cages for water

binners

I thought this thread was going to be about… ahem… gentleman’s issues……

senorj

It’s one of the rules I do break. Hangs head shamefully .
    I have a Topeak one on the crosser.the one that’ll take two tubes.
    They last about a year to 18 months and then the Velcro seat post strap ‘s stitching disintegrates .
    If you care about your seat post , tape it up.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

The Lezyne Micro Caddy works well for me. Attaches round the saddle rails only so works well with a dropper post.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a dry bag style topeak one, does the job with little/no fuss.

Only downside is I now have 3x multi tools, 3x CO2 heads, as I couldn’t be bothered swapping different sized tubes between bikes. A slightly better alternative would be to tape a tube to the frame on each bike and just keep CO2, tool and generic spares in the bag.

It’s a horrible addiction though. First a 0.2l one for a roadie tube tool, and CO2. Then a larger one on the MTB. Then one that’ll hold some food too, before you know it, you’ve an Alpkit Koala and wonder WTF you don’t just use a camelback like everyone else.

bearnecessities

Not me. I hate backpacks 🙂

Mildly confused now what to plump for. Probably the orlieb……probably?!

lunge

As ever for these small things, Decathlon is the answer, in this case the answer is this. Small enough so it doesn’t rattle, simple, cheap, perfect. I have these on every bike I own I think.
    And if you bike is blue, you can have one to match too.

Clobber
    Free Member

I use these:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP

Very secure, accessible on the bike, not inline for the crap thrown up from you back tyre that breaks all zips known to man, slim side for phones, wallet etc. main pocket for tools, also takes a reasonable size pump.

razorrazoo

I too have this shame. Recently bought one of those Topeak ones for my CX in medium (Amazon was the cheapest place by the way). Holds multi-tool, mini pump, tube, tyre levers, keys and cash.

I don’t like the aesthetic and may have a look at one of the bottle cage options, but it does the job well enough and you can’t see it when riding.

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Ortlieb. 🙂

Edit: I have the Topeak one you’ve linked to, that’s for the roadie. Ortlieb for the mtb although could do with being larger.

1-shed
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-energy-bag/ if you want a top tube bag.

cinnamon_girl

If you wish to be groovy:

leffeboy

It’s one of the rules I do break

as above. They do the job brilliantly of stopping you having just a bit too much in your back pockets

jekkyl

I have one of these: https://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=109

I have to say that generally I found all the saddlebags I have ever had, the light loop at the back breaks. I have a shed floor full of saddle bags where the light loop has broken so it ends up looking very awful with black tape holding the loop on. This includes the carradice one I’ve linked.

RustySpanner

Another Carradice, after years of Topeak.
    It’s much better – really well made.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mine is a muddy fox one. Do I win?

tang
    Free Member

For simple and works look at Arundel. I’ve got a couple from sponsors and they are surprisingly good.

scotroutes

The tiny Ortlieb ones are handy for a minimum of space. The same bracket is also used for the bigger ones (3L or so) which are handy on longer days out or in winter if you want to carry a warm jacket etc.

stumpy01

I’ve got a medium Vaude racelight saddle bag and it fits the essentials in but is a squeeze. Good bag though. Keep thinking about replacing it with the large version.

Pump attached to frame too for even less street cred amongst those who deem that kind of thing important.

Cowman

I use a tiny ortlieb one on most short summer rides, or add to it with a terra Nova quasar bum bag! Yes, I know. A monkii cage then holds my tipple of choice.

No its not fashionable but its the grab bag principle. Zero effort to get out & do a short ride and those short rides add up over time.

satchm00
    Free Member

I couldn’t fit a tube in but I could just about squeeze the rest in.

Guess it depends on your tools etc!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I wanted something for the road bike. Something small and discreet that I could fit a spare tube, done patches and tyre levers in. Most importantly I didn’t want it rattling around.

Saw these:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/97294985/tool-saddle-roll-choose-your-color?ref=shop_home_active_2

Thought they looked perfect but too expensive. A couple of weeks later one turned up in the post and I realised I had bought one while I was drunk.

It is actually perfect. Very discreet. However, I still hold that it is over priced.

back2basics
    Free Member

hmmm ive been using a bottle tool holder and can just squeeze in a mtb tube (or 2 roadie) , levers , multi tool, patches and a spare piece of tyre – however it doesnt half rattle depending on the position of the above inside the bottle – and i have a big fear over a jump or crash (!) it will pop out and i wont even notice….

i quite like the look of the long frame bags, as it take all the above, plus a pump, so i wouldnt need one on every frame! plus on the commuter it leaves the rear seatpost free for lights…

on all of our other bikes we have 1 saddle bag per bike all TOPEAK each with levers and 1 inner. we always have to swap multitools and pumps…. its a bit of a faf, and the zip pulls usually break off or the clips break at some point….

spacehopper

Saddlebag user here too..

dodgy shoulder means a backpack causes me problems if i use one all the time..

I have a Deuter XS.. no tube.. I just use the park patches on local rides

for longer further afield rides i generally have to use a backpack to carry other stuff.. and just chuck a lightweight tube in there.

devash
    Free Member

I have that exact same saddle bag as the OP posted. Its great. I can fit in a multitool, cable ties, spare tube, Co2 x 2 carts and an inflator. Tube patches, tyre leavers. It doesn’t rattle around. It means I can just put my riding gear on, grab a water bottle, and head out for an hour or so without faffing around with camel baks and searching for misplaced gear.

wonnyj
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

I had 2 topeaks fail on me, losing kit. Been using scicon bags for a while now. Like the fact it has a qr bracket for swapping between bikes / when left parked up.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m a convert, way better than a gurt big rucksack, currently just got a couple of lidl ones for mtb and a lezyne midi on the roadbike.

iainc

on the road and cx/gravel, I have these permanently attached :

lezyne

each containing a tube, patches, quick link, hexus. Pump is on frame.

If doing a longer day on the cx bike i have the Topeak wedge drybag, into which I pop the Lezyne bag above, an extra tube, brake pads, latex gloves and space for keys etc. munchies and jacket, phone in back pocket – nothing hard in there to cause back injuries in a crash.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Deeply unfashionable – saddlebags’ is closed to new replies.