Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • dedicated sat nav or phone
  • sofaking
    Free Member

my sat nav(tom tom 1) is starting to play up so looking at replacing it.
    is the Sat nav on newer phones any good ( i need a new phone too) or should i just get another dedicated sat nav.
    any recommendations either way and what to look at

sheldona
    Free Member

Just buy a map with all the public phone boxes marked on it FFS

thomthumb
    Free Member

i'd be getting a sat nav.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have Navmii for my iphone and for £20 its very good.

rootes1

you can get tomtom app for most smart phones

FuzzyWuzzy

Last review of phone sat nav I saw mentioned they all updated too slowly and the screens were often hard to read in the car but things might have improved now. Personally I'd get a proper sat nav.

sofaking
    Free Member

Just buy a map with all the public phone boxes marked on it FFS

ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE RUINING THIS FORUM 👿

toby1

I've got one and I'm not sure why I bothered, I rarely use it, and when I do it seems to take me to the wrong place (ok for houses shite for most other things). Not my best tech purchase of the year.

sheldona
    Free Member

ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE RUINING THIS FORUM

ooooooo get you all shouty 😉 bit tired from yesterday are we?

sofaking
    Free Member

ooooooo get you all shouty bit tired from yesterday are we?

only tired of listening to you all day.

"look at me on my niche bike with only one gear, i'm so much better than the rest of you "
    "please look at me, i'm running out of attention"
    "i'm over here, yes me on the orange fake IF"
    "you can stroke my wok if you pay attention to my chariot"

etc etc
    etc etc

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Sat Nav on my Nokia XP 5800 is good. It locks on to the satellites faster than the Tom Tom One I have and the route planning and turn by turn insructions are fine. Where its not so good as the Tom Tom is for modification of its chosen route to avoid a road you don't want to use. Very straight forward in the Tom Tom but I haven't found a way of doing this with the Nokia.

However when we go to France this summer I'll be using ther Nokia as its got free world mapping unlike the Tom Tom where I'd need to buy the Euro maps for something like £40

Strangelove
    Free Member

I had tomtom running on my old HTC thingy and it was fine.
    I dont use sat nav frequently enough to justify the outlay of a proper device and having it on my phone meant it was always with me.
    It was slower at updating than a dedicated unit but perhaps an additional arial would have sorted that and although the screen was not as big and bright it was still enough.
    I am using a paper map at the momemnt and keep missing turnings and arriving late.

fwb2006
    Free Member

HA HA HA, this may get interesting…

pacemaker
    Free Member

I also have the Nokia 5800 and the sat nav is good,and as it has free world coverage i will be using it in the states soon.

I use a Tom tom one for day to day use at work though and it is easier to use and more reliable.

I would say sat nav if you use it quite regularly, but for now and then a phone would suffice.

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers folks

a big hug to Ayatollahofniche

monkeyp

I run Garmin mobile XT on my HTC Touch HD and it's excellent. Had Tomtom on a Palm Treo before and that was good too (but let down by the screen size).

If you get/have a dedicated touch screen phone with a decent sized screen then it is well worth it in my opinion. You then also have the added benefit of live traffic updates and other web based things (Google search for directions to any directory location is good too).

I would never go back to a dedicated unit. Surely that is one of the biggest benefits of a 'smart' phone – it has loads of uses so you don't have to carry half a dozen electronic devices around with you!

orena45

I've got CoPilot Live on my HTC Hero (Android) and it's actually pretty good. It did have problems with loosing GPS signal occassionally (even tho the phone was still picking it up) but the latest update seems to have sorted that. Admitedly, sometimes the route choices aren't quite as direct as what TomTom would choose but it's fully featured and runs as well as a dedicated SatNav unit. For less than £30 it's a bargain IMHO.

sheldona
    Free Member

Thanks for the hug SK but don't be dissing my attention chariot 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Halfords are doing some good deals on dedicated SatNavs at the moment.

sofaking
    Free Member

any recommendations on a sat nav then ?
    about the £150ish mark

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Try satnaveasy.co.uk

I got a £300 Garmin with all the bells and whistles for £140-ish, they are very good indeed. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In fact, they still have the same offer on. I doubt you'll beat this anywhere TBH. Rips Halfords and other high street prices apart.

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-nuvi-765wt-fm-traffic-copy-i19351.html

(Take no notice of the low stock and 'ends Monday' offer though. It was the same when I bought mine….)

5lab

if you use most phones to do satnav, it streams the maps live from a central server (some have the ability to download a map prior). This can get 'interesting' in areas of low phone reception (ie mtb bike centers) and (very) expensive when abroad

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

any nokia phone using nokia maps you can download the maps before hand

cp

most of the sat nav apps for iphone use on-board maps so no downloading. there's one for the iphone for uk & ireland for £10….

orena45

Likewise, CoPilot's maps are all stored on the SD card too

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘dedicated sat nav or phone’ is closed to new replies.