• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nerd.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Decent, cheap road frames?
  • RustySpanner

My alloy road bike (Trek 1400) is 22 years old now and I’m a bit worried about the amount of abuse the forks have taken over the years.

Any decent quality frame bargains out there, or would I be better off picking up a complete Defy/BTWIN in the sales?

In terms of frames, the Spa Audax looks good, as does the Equilibrium.
    But I could pick up a basic Defy in the sales for not much more.

Just need a basic, lightish good quality frame I can use for a few hours blast every week or so, doesn’t really need rack mounts though the ability to add guards would be nice.

Not sure I trust cheap carbon from an unknown source.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

amedias
    Free Member

The Alu and Steel Ribbles are cheap but quite cheerful 🙂

Plenty of good second hand stuff for less than cheap new though, depends if you have other bits to replace at the same time or not as some of the deals on complete bikes are crazy good value! Or just put a new fork on your trek, 1inch stuff easily obtained if you look around, sounds more like you want an excuse for a new bike though, and I can sympathise with that 😉

Spa Audax is a good choice though…nearly bought one myself and may still do so at some point…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Planet X RT-58,
    Ribble audax (525 or 7005),
    Something newer but still s/h off ebay?

Plnet X do have carbon frames form £377 at the moment, might not be as good as a decent aluminium frame, but compared to cheap aluminium they should be good.

shermer75
    Free Member

Dolan, starting at £199.00, great bikes 🙂

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets.html

DezB
    Free Member
    kilo

Btwin bikes are very good value, even a rrp, had one as a commuter for a few years now – recommended

verses

Not sure how cheap is “cheap”, but these could be worth considering if they have your size…

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b0s25p0/Frames/Road-Racing

chakaping
    Free Member

Classifieds or local roadie FB group?

There are just as many serial bike/frame swappers in the roadie world, it seems.

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you Rusty?

I’ve got a 54cm Saracen Tenet 3 Frame/fork and few bits that are brand new that I need rid of. Not asking much at all… Bought to use as a turbo bike which never happened!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get a new fork?

RustySpanner

Thanks for the advice folks, some great options there.

Not replacing the fork, it’s a beautiful frame and will be hanging on the wall at some stage, so I’d like to keep it all together.

mboy, just over 5’5″, ride a 50cm horizontal top tube frame so probably a bit big, but thanks for the offer.
    I’ll have a look at the geo and see if I’m anywhere near – wife’s 54cm Trek is a little bit big, but sloping top tubes are very forgiving.

Have some wheels and a useable, though 8 speed groupset, so will do some calculations.

Much appreciated.

globalti
    Free Member

An aluminium frame will have work-hardened after 22 years and lost some of its qualities, if what the industry tells us is correct. It will also have a 90s geometry so will probably be quite stiff anyway. I had a 1990 Harry Hall in Columbus SLX steel tubing, a respected tubeset, but by God it beat me up.

You would be blown away by a modern carbon bike. Good value for money comes from Ribble, Wiggle, Planet X, Boardman at Halfords, even Decathlon though I find their bikes look a bit odd. Unfortunately I think you will struggle to fit your equipment to a modern carbon frame. Better to go for something equipped with the very excellent latest-generation Shimano 105 and save yourself a lot of ballache.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have dolan preffisio frame that I’m pretty happy with, doesn’t feel like a £200 frame. I built it up into a summer commuter, although I’m selling the frame now as it rains all the **** time.

philjunior
    Free Member

An aluminium frame will have work-hardened after 22 years and lost some of its qualities, if what the industry tells us is correct.

Only if it was a very early aluminium frame. And by “work harden” they mean “have a tonne of micro fissures leading to such a degree the stiffness is noticeably reduced”.

irc

Very happy with the Surly Pacer frame I’ve recently built up as a 1×9 flat bar hybrid. Takes 700×32 Vittoria Hypers without mudguards. So reasonably quick on road but still OK for towpaths etc. Bought second hand. Prev owner ran 700x28s and mudguards. Feels noticeably lighter and quicker than my tourers. As a “sturdier” than average rider I’m reassured by a solid steel frame and fork.

nerd
    Free Member

Aluminium Canyon Endurace start at £800 for Tiagra spec. Too much?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Decent, cheap road frames?’ is closed to new replies.