• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pnik.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic frames…worth the effort?
  • jonnnblue
    Free Member

I like steel hardtails, currently got an 18″ On-One 456 Evo2 which i love, value for money, the geo is great and it will pretty much do anything i want. I also have an older 16″ On-One 456 which i use as a SS with rigid forks for day to day use and very light recreational riding. im thinking of changing the smaller 16 as sometimes i think its a little on the small side.

I have been looking for another 456 but i keep seeing Cotic Soul and BFe’s spoken of highly. They arent all that disimilar aside from the price obviously. I get that the BFe is a heavier duty Soul.

What are peoples takes on the similarity. Experiences?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m in the minority because I didn’t really like my BFe; it was stiff, harsh and felt heavy to ride. I much preferred the Slackline that twas placed it.

A mate of mine loves his BFe though.

FOG

I went from 456 to Soul after a test ride, never regretted it and still use it regularly despite having an FS alternative.

jimmy

The bfe felt very solid and I guess unresponsive. Can’t compare to a 456 but as above the Soul is a beautiful thing and a joy to ride – also ride mine instead of a full suss.

flaps
    Free Member

45650b?

martinhutch

You can pick up an older Soul frame for not much these days and probably get the money back re-selling it if you don’t like it.

jonnnblue
    Free Member

Are the older Souls capable? Im a heavy guy at 95kg. Light trail and day to day business. Ive no experience atall with any cotic frames. A used frame will be the option i think.

Thanks for the info

matt_bl
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk 1 Soul and another 10kg on you. Incredibly surefooted frame, even built up with burly wheels etc., it doesn’t feel heavy.

As above, if you don’t like it in 3 months time, someone else will take it off your hands for the same money.

Matt

matther01
    Free Member

I’d defo get the Soul mk3 and in trademark orange. Fantastic bike and a decent used one shouldn’t cost you the Earth. Its a very capable bike and mine coped with most stuff I threw at it. Super comfy too.

In fact it replaced a decent 2012 Trek ex8…and felt it was the better bike!

I’ve just picked up a good condition XS mk3 for the wife with Hope headset and BB for about £245.

P20

I had a 456. Fun bike, but heavy and harsh. Replaced it with a C456, much lighter and more forgiving, but I never really enjoyed it. Now have a Soul and love it. Lovely feel, comfortable, fun handling. My hardtail (C456 especially) tended to only be used when the FS was bust, but now I’ll use the Soul as a genuine alternative.

MoreCashThanDash

Got an old Mk1 Soul, built up bling now and a lovely 25lbs or so. My lad has an Inbred with the kit that used to be on the Soul, and now he’s ridden both, he’s pestering me to find him a second hand Soul

Davesport

The thing to do is get a demo on something similar to what you want. I’ve had people try my Solaris and they cant tell the difference between it and a garden gate. Get a go on one and see what you think. I love my Solaris but I reckon there would be a few steel hardtails I could build that would tick all the boxes.

chorlton
    Free Member

Cotic frames…worth the effort?

There’s no effort. I’ve a Soul mrk 2 it’s mine I tell you. Mine 🙂

Northwind

I haven’t ridden the current models but I absolutely loved my Soul, proper masterpiece- only my Ragley Ti could match it as hardtails go and it had an RRP 3 times as much so that’s only fair 😆

Didn’t really rate my BFe at all, it just didn’t have the things that made my Soul special,I just thought it was a lump. Better geometry and handling than a 456 but similar uninspiring feel/character. It’s not just about being made of steel, or posh steel, it has to be designed right and made right.

jambalaya
    Free Member

2012 Bfe lovely lovely lovely. I have a very nice Transition Covert which I should ride more but the Bfe is so good. I am fully signed up Cotic fan, have been bidding on 2012 Soul 26ers to put alongside the BFe and the Flame looks very nice too 8)

hornetfancier
    Free Member

Beg,borrow or steal a Soul,I’ve been riding mtb’s since 1984,but out of all of them my absolute favourite is the above.

pnik

Ive recently swapped out an inbred for a solaris mk1 that i got from on here, only difference is the headset reducer and the seatpost, it is lighter, snappier not life changing, but definitely an upgrade. Feels like 1 or 2 gears higher most of the time. But could be mind tricks. I now want to upgrade wheels, forks, etc to save more weight, its a slippery slope…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic frames…worth the effort?’ is closed to new replies.