• This topic has 103 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Dear Westminster – a divorce letter
  • mt
    Free Member

hels as I recall Burns puts the regrets better. “Parcel of Rogues”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, erm… Does this mean we’re NOT agreeing with TJ anymore?

Anyway, I thought he’d flounced off, vowing never to return?

Scotland. Yeah, errrrrr. Scotland… Remind me, somebody.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

O ye’ll tak’ the high road, and TJ’ll tak’ the low road, And he’ll be in Flounceland before ye!

j_me
    Free Member

Now I do like Porridge but I’m not sure about the WOG bit ?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Scotland. Yeah, errrrrr

Sunshine coach drop you home early today then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about we reinstate the “auld alliance”? Leith claret – yummy

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

TL;DR 😛

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    How about we reinstate the “auld alliance”? Leith claret – yummy

No chance TJ – we don’t want you and other than Edinburgh castle, we think the place is a dump and you all smell of neeps 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Edinburgh is the London of Scotland- It’s full of knobs. Mostly English ones at that. Just saying, like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tee hee

yossarian
    Free Member

Pay your own way Scotland and we’ll hold the door open for you.

j_me
    Free Member

Pay your own way

Why would we do that when your subsidies pay for free university tuition and personal nursing care for the over 65’s? Nah….don’t be daft man.

yossarian
    Free Member

Precisely. You can’t afford to be independent, sorry

When you’ve saved up for a bit and got a steady job we’ll talk again 😉

j_me
    Free Member

🙂 We probably could afford it, technically. However we’re way better off where we are, thanks Dad.

PS – Can I get some more pocket money please, I want to buy a new Forth Bridge.

yossarian
    Free Member

Ask your mum

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole ‘us and them’ attitude a bit wearing? Can’t we all be friends?

*opens arms for cross border forum iHug*

konabunny
    Free Member

– I assume a newly divorced Scotland would need to apply for membership of the UN, NATO and the EU. This last one could make it very expensive to join.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to join NATO or the EU. You could be like Switzerland and be a member of neither, or like Norway and not be a member of the EU. But I would imagine that the case for joining the EU would be strong.

One would assume that membership of the UN is a given.

Difficult choice – stay with Sterling or move to the Euro. In either case the Scottish Government would have little control on economic policy – which appears to be one of the main arguments being used in favour of devolution.

There’s a third option, of course, which is to issue new currency, but I think that’s a crap one.

There’s a fourth option, of course, which is to use another currency altogether e.g. the USD. Quite a few currencies do. Downside: probably heightened currency risk.

Taking monetary policy out of the hands of domestic politicians might not be such a bad thing.

duckman

KonaBunny for Chancellor,since we are not bound by tradition,how about a nice Mulberry bag for the budget instead of that crap old case.Is that the clincher? Whats that…”Your not Scottish!” Don’t worry,neither is President Tandem 😀

druidh
    Free Member

I assume a newly divorced Scotland would need to apply for membership of the UN, NATO and the EU. This last one could make it very expensive to join.

Actually, since the UK (of GB&NI) would no longer exist, all of the constituent parts would be similarly affected.

The UN wouldn’t be an issue (see Slovakia & the Czech Republic).

NATO – I would imagine that all parts of the UK are strategically important enough for NATO to want them in. A Scotland-less NATO would be missing one nuclear submarine base….

The EU? Given the renewable energy resources and that fact that it would be a net contributor, I can’t imagine any of the current EU members voting against a Scottish membership. Englandwales&NI would probably lose any “special” privileges/conditions upon re-entry.

sadmadalan

If the divorce happened the UK would still exist – just without Scotland. The EU is an interesting case. As the UK would still technically exist the rebate would still apply to England/Wales. Scotland would have to join and the EU could set the rules for it’s joining. After all the remaining parts of the UK would be involved in setting the rules!

duckman

Sadmadalan; The rebate does not come close to covering the actual cost of membership,and the basis by which it is calculated would change.I can’t see why it would be in Enger-lands interest to oppose Scottish membership, although they do have previous of being sneaky when involved in political decisions about Scotland 🙄 Actually we are quite pally with the French and Germans,maybe we would get a better deal on the CAP than our neighbours.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Given the fact Scotland has oil and fish I don’t see any reason why an independent Scotland would not be welcomed into the EU

Waderider
    Free Member

The majority of us are quite happy being both British and Scottish.

I wonder if this is true. Not in my social circle.

Some Scots need to spend more time studying history. The way the Union was forced onto Scotland was a disgrace, it was totally unwanted by the people. Granted, it brought economic growth by opening up markets developed by England within its empire. That’s the nicest thing I can say. But England has been a bully to neighbours for centuries, and while this is no longer an issue, there is plenty of evidence small independent (Northern European?) countries can do very well for themselves.

A personal viewpoint – I believe the essential first step to solving Scotlands problems with unemployment and a forgotten working class is to get some more pride back into the country – starting with independence.

No stupid internet arguments entered into. The internet is full of opinions and this is mine. If you want something concrete and proper debate please go to academia or politics.

j_me
    Free Member

fish

Ha ha ha ha……..you’re having a Giraffe ?!?
    (help me with the WIKI article that evidences this)

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Dear Westminster – a divorce letter’ is closed to new replies.