• This topic has 33 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by 220si.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • DB Inline users, are you happy?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps

I’ve had my DB Inline on a Specialized Enduro 650b for about 4 weeks now and can’t get it dialled in perfect.

I’ve spent an evening sessioning to get the setup right with the tuning guide, but it just doesn’t feel great.

I’m of the general belief that there’s a good setup waiting to be found, but the amount of permutations that exist could mean I never find it.

Is anyone happy with their DB Inline? And are there others who have swapped theirs for a Monarch RC3 who are happier with the ‘set sag, set rebound, ride’ way of riding?

Cheers

Ricks

scaled
    Free Member

I miss mine dearly.

To the point i’m thinking of selling my BOS kirk and getting the full DB Air for my Capra, the kirk is great but my inline made my Mega in to an absolute hooligan

rickon
    Free Member

How long did it take you to get it dialled in? We’re you far off the recommended settings from Cc?

MSP

I have one on a enduro 29er, and I can’t get it right got me, I just feels completely linear through its travel no progression, which seems to be a know problem for big guys. I am thinking of getting the non inline version. Can’t afford to replace it at the moment so will wait to hear how the ohlins shock reviews.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Have you guys tried using the volume spacers? I’m by no means that big at 78kg and ended up with 7 in mine to get it feeling how I wanted.

ajantom

I would say yes, been through some ups and downs over the last couple of years, but things are looking……

Oh, you mean with the shock 😉

Mine has been excellent. It was light years ahead of the wooden feeling X-Fusion it replaced. I rode it with the settings that TFT sent it to me with for about 2 months – DMR Bolt, 125mm rear travel, 160mm forks, lots of singletrack, and the occasional uplift day. In the end did a little tweaking to the HSR (up half a turn) and the LSR (up 3 clicks) – I like my shocks to be a little firm and to resist G-outs.

I was thinking about having a play with the air-can spacers that came with it, but to be honest it’s great as it is.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve got one on a HD3 and it seems great to me. No changes from recommended settings. Love the climb switch. I’m 70kg.

rickon
    Free Member

Im 77kg fully kitted and have thought about adding some more volume reducers.

I’ve sent a request into Jtec for setup settings and will send what they come back with. £8 is cheaper than £250 for a new shock!

rickon
    Free Member

The bizarre thing is the shock started to have a top out feel when in Climb mode, which was very odd. It eased off after being ridden for a while.

MSP

Have you guys tried using the volume spacers? I’m by no means that big at 78kg and ended up with 7 in mine to get it feeling how I wanted.

I have 8 in, didn’t really expect to put more in than that, not sure many more would fit before it stopped being an actual air shock.

rickon
    Free Member

When you say 7 and 8 reducers… Is that of the single small ones?

I’ve got one large and two small in.

John_Key
    Free Member

Also got one on the HD3 and miles better than the previous Fox RP23. Messed around with the air pressure a wee bit, but I’ve stuck with the settings it came with.

poah
    Free Member

totally happy with mine. small adjustment from TF tuned and 7 strips of volume reducers in it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Love mine (on a Rocket, based on settings from Cy) but I’m only two rides in so early days yet. How hard is it to take apart and get the spacers in? I’ve not tried yet but I’m a sturdy chap so it’s probably not a bad idea.

MSP

I have 2 big spacers so that is actually 10 not 8, 5 small = 1 big.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very pleased with mine, though we did go through a bit of a rough patch before it was fixed under warranty.

Mine’s on an FSR-style 4-bar bike and it feels very, very good – so it’s probably worth persevering.

My review here…

Review: Cane Creek DBinline

creamegg
    Free Member

My mate pretends he’s happy but deep down I know he wish he’d have gone for the coil or non-inline version

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d spec one on a 160mm bike myself TBH, but since the OP’s already got it…

poah
    Free Member

why?

chakaping
    Free Member

Likely usage and CC’s own recommendation.

LoCo
    Free Member

PSSST Rickon, you can now get ohlins for your bike 😉

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Got one on my hd3 too Base settings and never had to touch it and im a fussy sod. Glad you posted this as you only ever hear the few negative when there are clearly a lot of happy people who have them.

davosaurusrex

Happy with mine on a DW SUltan. Did a bit of tweaking over the first few rides, not touched since, about 10 months old. No spacers. Use the climb switch a lot but otherwise don’t notice it which is about the best thing you can say about suspension I think.

MSP

PSSST Rickon, you can now get ohlins for your bike

Are they actually better than the non inline or other shocks though, not many reviews yet, and no long term testing.

I was disappointed that spesh changed to the inline for the 2015 enduro in the first place, and no 2014 frames were available in my size when I was buying mine, I even preferred the 2014 colour scheme.

LoCo
    Free Member

Are they actually better than the non inline or other shocks though

I would hazard a guess as yes, by a fair margin.

stuker
    Free Member

put one on my my Tallboy LT to replace the FOX CTD came with the frame. Miles better in every department so far.

chrismac

Got one on my 29er enduro and love it. I have mine 1 or 2 clicks softer than the default as I prefer the plusher feeling and don’t do big enough drops to need a big ramp up.

davosaurusrex

Jinxed myself, bah. Squeaking on compression and no rebound damping. Have emailed CRC. At least it’s 10 and a half months old, better than 12 and a half months old….will see what they say. Still seem to be a lot of reports of premature failures on recent ones though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

To davosaurus

Does your shock chirp / squeak in compression like a budgie??
    My first DB inline did that but it still felt like it was working ok. I contacted cane creek who asked for a short vid of the squeaky shock.
    I sent a vid and they offered me a replacement shock and pre paid return box for the old unit.
    fantastic customer service.

davosaurusrex

Yes but only on bigger hits. No rebound damping at all though, it’s a pogo stick! Will try CRC first

radrob
    Free Member

Got one on my orange five. It feels awesome, I ride to the trails so the climb switch is ace on the road. Feels bottomless on rough stuff and drops.

chris_db
    Free Member

Are they actually better than the non inline or other shocks though
    I would hazard a guess as yes, by a fair margin.

Any weight limit on these – I heard they don’t suit the more portly rider…..?

220si
    Free Member

Is the shock in perfect working order??

If you got it 4 weeks ago I presume it’s brand new or brand new bike?? Some revised parts on the newer ones.

I’m chuffed to bits with mine on a Lapierre Zesty. Had a problem with the chirping on compression due to oil getting past the diaphragm.

Sent it to TF Tuned whom were excellent and aloneg with a service, they fitted uprated parts as I’m the 2nd owner.

I set mine up with approx 35% sag 9 clicks from minimum on Lsc.

1 turn from max on Hsc

12 clicks from minimum on Lsc

1 1/2 turn from maximum on Her

Pressure @ 190psi

I weigh 95kg and this is spot on. Supple over small bumps but doesn’t bob too much due to Lsc.

Then it can also handle big jumps to flat 3ft without bottoming right out so I think the perfect set up.

Flick the CS if you have a big slog and it firms right up for climbing otherwise I leave for short burst/rough/switchback climbing.

Key is knowing what you want and adjusting it bit by bit to know how you got the adjustments

Hth

220si
    Free Member

@ Chris_db

There isn’t a weight limit as such but rather the pressure to achieve correct sag. Over 250psi then you should get the Ccdb air.

I’d say if under 110kg you would be ok.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘DB Inline users, are you happy?’ is closed to new replies.