• This topic has 27 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DB Alpine or Blue Pig?
  • minzo
    Free Member

wanna get a long travel steel hardtail frame, these two are my faves at the moment. I live in S.Wales so I'll be riding a mix of stuff. Weight is similar, think I prefer the look of the Alpine but it costs over £100 more, any advice?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I can only comment on the alpine myself, I love mine and find it very versatile. It has lyrik u-turns on the front and I use it for everything.

The only downer for me is with my long legs the seat post looks a bit silly at full pedalling height, had it been around I would have got the 18" mark 11. The ragley is available in bigger sizes, so better for the taller rider.

scruff
    Free Member

I had the old alpine and swapped it for a new one as I wanted a longer TT. Best HT I've had, can be thrown about and is still great for all dayers. New one seems more comfy aswell, possibly due to the plate bridges on seat and chainstays.

alpin
    Free Member

again, i can only omment on the Alpine.

the finish on the frame it faultless, the welds are all very clean.

the Alpine is a very versatile bike that can be pootled along and up and hooned back down. a very smiley bike.

minzo
    Free Member

Thanks lads, I'm definitely leaning towards the alpine, height not a problem being a bit of a short arse, 16" spot on. Was thinking of sticking 140mm forks on, would this work well or would i be better with something like 120-160 adjustable. Also was wondering why the alpine is £120 more exspensive, is it better quality steel cos it ain't any lighter.

st

Alpine is partly 853, Blue Pig isn't

ash

The Alpine is more expensive because it's made of 853 steel… so it's no lighter than the Blue Pig but a lot stronger.

Another vote for the Alpine here. A very very versatile frame.

rs
    Free Member

Was thinking of sticking 140mm forks on, would this work well or would i be better with something like 120-160 adjustable.

I had 140 pikes with uturn on my alpine and never used the uturn, now have domains with no travel adjust and it still climbs well, so in other words 140 will be nice, 160 would also be very nice, depends what your using it for.

brant
    Free Member

The Alpine is more expensive because it's made of 853 steel… so it's no lighter than the Blue Pig but a lot stronger.

To be fair, I'd agree with the first bit, but the second bit isn't necessarily true, or even, really, relevant – they're both very strong.

I think the Alpine is a great frame. Mike's steep seat, slack head angle is something that I've been a fan of for a while now.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

and I can only comment on the blue pig – ace bike 🙂 Think it's a bit slacker with a 140 on there than the alpine (not sure though!). You'd best ride them both to be sure. Strength isn't really an issue with either I don't think – you'll be hard pressed to break either!

I also have an 853 prince albert – can also take a 140 fork – but it's a bit more XC in it's angles and feel than the BP –

Ash rides his alpine in the alps, I ride my BP in the alps – I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

.duncan
    Free Member

I can only speak for the BP, its very good for steep techy stuff and extremely fun to ride.

ash

To be fair, I'd agree with the first bit, but the second bit isn't necessarily true, or even, really, relevant – they're both very strong.

Honestly not trying to stir sh1te BUT…

If you're a "harsh" rider, you ride "proper" terrain a lot, and you're comparing e.g. a DB Alpine to e.g. an old 4130 Inbred and the most important factor in buying a bike is that it doesn't break, then sorry but of course it's relevant. Hence, since the OP has asked about differences, it is at least worth stating that 853 is stronger than "standard" cro-mo, simply because it is (the buyer may or may not think this is important).

As it is, I'm sure that the Blue Pig is strong enough and, based on feedback, is a great bike. It certainly looks the part… there was one at the Trans-Provence.

brant
    Free Member

indeed, 853, the material, is stronger weight for weight, than chromoly. But frame strength is very difficult to compare. Example – thin headtubes cause head/downtube failures. Heavily indented rear stays and welded chainstay bridges can cause premature fatigue failure.
    Not sure why you brought up the inbred.
    I am sure if I was so minded, I could build an 853 frame that was far weaker than a 4130 frame of the same weight. But I think it's more fun to try to do it the other way round.

ash

Not sure why you brought up the inbred.

Neither am I, in retrospect, and it certainly wasn't supposed to be personal attack. I think I was trying (possibly unsuccesfully) to convey my opinion that saying "strength" and "irrelevant" in the same sentence in a thread about bikes which will be used by some people extensively on harsh terrain *could* may be somewhat unhelpful?? Some bikes made of 853 have been proved to be less likely to break than some bikes not made of 853. At the same time, I take onboard your point that material isn't everything.

domjohn123
    Free Member

Also the BP has been CEN tested, so i don't think that there is any point worrying about breaking it. I use mine, from XC to Dirt jump to downhill and it feels damn sturdy, while still being able to take the edge off the roots and rocks etc. 🙂

rs
    Free Member

I think brant's point was that they are both strong as ****, hence discussing strength of those two particular bikes was irrelevant.

alpin
    Free Member

the Alpine is shorter in the top tube than the B.Pig so might be a better all-day bike. despite that i have/plan to ride my Alpine for 7+ hours at a time.

minzo
    Free Member

Thanks for info lads, anyone know where i could get a go on either of these bikes, i live in Cardiff

souldrummer
    Free Member

I can't speak too highly of the Alpine (mines a Mk1). It has got me over, down and through things no other bike has. For some reason I just find it a great fun bike to ride. I have a Soul as well and although that is a lot lighter I am currently riding the Alpine a lot more: daft though it might seem on the North Downs!!!

minzo
    Free Member

Sorta leaning towards the blue pig now as the cash i would save could be put towards the build. Just don't really think the alpine is worth the extra cash for the extra strength as i would probably never break the blue pig anyway ( i change my mind every few hours, tough decision). Specs and photos of builds of both bikes would be appreciated

firestarter
    Free Member

Great bikes

brant
    Free Member

Thanks for info lads, anyone know where i could get a go on either of these bikes, i live in Cardiff

Rocky Mountain Cycles have a demo bike.

Lots of owners pigpics here – http://myragley.com/tag/bluepig

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Brant – any chance of a ragley with a 30.9 seat tube or is that moon on a stick time?

hora
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn't have the two in the same category when chosing (I know they are both hardcore)..

It'd be 456 or Bluepig
    Or
    Alpine or BFe etc

firestarter
    Free Member

what an odd statement. Whys that. If brant were to charge double for the would it be a better bike

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Its because the Pig isn't officially designed for a 160 fork like the other two.

but then it does work with a 160…

firestarter
    Free Member

well up to 150 so near enough 😉

tho having owned a 456 and a blue pig they are poles apart tbh

hora
    Free Member

Plus as a confirmed GearQueer I think the Alpine is cooler/in a different league to the likes of 456/BP 8)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DB Alpine or Blue Pig?’ is closed to new replies.