Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Daytrip to Afan from Torbay 06/02
  • thabo
    Free Member

I am planning a daytrip on Thursday to Afan Forest. I have place for one more person and bike. Anyone interested and willing to share petrol cost, let me know.

lucien

At least a 320 mile round trip – to ride Afan?

thabo
    Free Member

Yes I know ,but I am bored with the local stuff. Any other syggestions closer by ?

ashweee
    Free Member

Afan is about 60 miles from me and I don’t think it’s worth the journey. I rode whites level over Christmas and the tree felling that’s going on means the trail is nothing like it used to be and there are a couple of diversions too.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Just go a week later.

Whites is pretty much fully open with the exception of the crappy northshore on goodwood. Yes some trees are missing on the climb and final descent but thats it. I actually think its running better now than ever especially with the choice of two final descents.

Penhydd/Blue Scar open, the wall fully open, skyline final descent re-opened and Blade opening on the 12th.

I think Afan is totally worth a drive now.

KonaTC

Don’t forget the £6.40 tax to get into Wales but on the upside they do now accept cards 😯

superfli
    Free Member

Worth it once or twice a year for me, and thats a 400 mile round trip. Its pretty much my closest trail centre with mountains.

You could wait a couple of weeks for Blade trail to open. If you’ve already done the other trails.

lucien

Gawton?
    Haldon Forest?
    Dartmoor? – Highest point 621m – Here
    Exmoor? Dunkery Beacon 520m

Not sure how high Afan is, a quick look at the map doesn’t show anything much higher

slugwash
    Free Member

Spend the morning riding around up at Haldon. Lunchtime – go to the Curator Café in Totnes where Ian, who ran the Drop Off Café in the good old days now works. Then drive around Brixham for half an hour pretending your in that shithole Glyncorrwg, which isn’t hard to do!

There you go, the same experience without the journey time and petrol costs!

thabo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments. Especially your advice with recreating the experience Slugwash 😛

I know Haldon too well and Dartmoor/Exmoor is too much of an extreme survival experience in the current weather.
    I feel like doing long , fast flowing singletrack and Afan seem to fit the bill.

jam-bo

Quantocks then

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Daytrip to Afan from Torbay 06/02’ is closed to new replies.