Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Day trip to the Lakes from London by train- is Garburn the best option?
  • vinnyeh

After seeing a post last week, I’m thinking of doing a day trip to the Lakes, from London by train. If things go right, I could get to Staveley by half ninish, and a train back at about sixish. Is one of the routes over Garburn Pass likely to be my best (sensible) bet at this time of year? All suggestions welcome. 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Garburn would be great, but if you’re coming up all that way, you may as well do the 3 passes route. Map HERE

Another option HERE

Go and see the lads in Wheelbase for more route advice. Seems a long way to come for ride ? Can you not do an overnighter ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yep, definitely get off a Staveley, visit the nice big bike shop, have coffee and cake, read the papers………..and there’s lots of excellent routes round there.

vinnyeh

Ta. I wondered about the 3 passes, but decided that it might be too tight timewise. I’m a soft southerner, after all.
    Can’t really go for a weekend either- it’d be a bit tough on the family at the moment.

I don’t suppose there’s anything like left luggage/showers etc around there?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Stavely station is quite literally a platform next to a field, nothing fancy pants like shops or lockers. However, there’s a pub 300m down the road http://www.eaglechildinn.co.uk/ which might hold your luggage / feed and water you and might rent you a room to wash / change in. Give em a ring. If they can’t help you these chaps should be able to help you out with some local info http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/.

hth

crazy-legs

Garburn is about 3hrs max, even at pootle pace so I’d suggest something a little bit more adventurous. It’s a hell of a way to come for a day though, I’d seriously consider staying over at the excellent Eagle & Child (about 200m from Staveley station).

If the Three Passes route is too long, try the Two Passes one – Staveley head NE over to Sadgill, N up Gatescarth, down to Haweswater, turn L, up Nan Bield, down Nan Bield to Kentmere then follow the plantation track SSW back down through Sawmill Cottages to finish off. That’ll be 5-6hrs. Have a look at a map, you’ll see where I mean.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

phone wheelbase re the showers, I’m sure they had that facility last time I was there. You can wash your bikes round the back of Wheelbase, I’m sure they’ll also let you leave some kit with them (obviously you would need to return in shop hours).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Wheelbase has showers and bike wash.

London and back in a day is daft IMO. You’ll be so tired after it all that the next day will be a write-off anyway.

Stay overnight and a few pints at EagleandChild, nice breakfast the next day at Wilfs, lunchtime train, back by mid afternoon. Jobs a goodun.

I’ve got kids too. Surely you can squeeze a day and a half in….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

when are you thinking? I could guide you a good route if it aligns with my dates.

vinnyeh

London and back in a day is daft IMO. You’ll be so tired after it all that the next day will be a write-off anyway.

I was hoping it wouldn’t be too mad- I thought a nice relaxing train journey each way.
    Phoned the Eagleandchild, and they’re full til end of Feb it seems- looks nice though.
    I’d be doing it on a Saturday, that’s when the trains run earliest, probably in 2 or 3 weeks time- whatever the advance bookings for rail dictate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Day trip to the Lakes from London by train- is Garburn the best option?’ is closed to new replies.