Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • David Sedaris
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Anyone else like him, really enjoy his stories, currently on 4 extra.

hairyscary

Thanks for the heads up. He’s a bit hit and miss for me, but when he’s good he’s very good.

Jamie
    Free Member

On paper I really shouldn’t like him. But got all his books, mostly in audiobook form as he reads them as well, and his Radio 4 series, meet David Senators, on MP3. Which I think runs to 5 seasons.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think his stories are fantastic. Never miss a R4 episode. And love his books.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I loved his Santa Land diaries. He also lives in the same town I do.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have you ever seen him out litter picking GT?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…the town with nearly no roadside litter?

RustySpanner

Yep, he great.
    🙂

Found some of his recent material about his sister a bit of a hard listen, but there’s always been some very dark stuff in there, especially about his family.

gowerboy

Yes he’s brilliant. I find him really funny.

I can see why you like him PF. You are quite similar…..

IHN

Not read anything, but his R4 stuff is a regular dogwalking accompaniment

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It took me a while to get beyond the tone of his voice, which is at times excruciating! Then, I found some of his stuff while on a flight, captive audience, had run out of things to watch/listen to. Have been an avid listener ever since.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, another fan here. His “intimidating rabbit” story was good last night.

kelvin

The turtle story got me hooked a while back… he always makes us all laugh in this house.

Junkyard
    Free Member

find him a bit Radio 4 but not heard much though
    I am tempted to listen to more given the number on here who i respect who like him

Is there a podcast or easy source ?

pictonroad

He’s a treasure, junkyard, start with ‘lets explore Diabetes with owls’ or ‘dress your family in corduroy and demon’. They’re very accessible and very very funny.

I’m going to see him in Brighton in September. Tickets sold out in a couple of days. These are £35 a head tickets to see a diminutive squeaky voiced American read from a book. 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

I tried to get tickets to Cadogan Hall, £40 a pop, but sold out.

He quite closely controls his production rights (not surprisingly really since his income is primarily from booksales of short stories he gets in magazines and then narrates at shows) so it’s not easy to listen to back catalogue stuff. The BBC radio iplayer will hold his current series for a month at most.

Stoner
    Free Member

On a side note, his shows are exactly the kind of thing I’d pay £10 to live stream from the event in HD to my home computer.

The met opera do something similar but require annual subscriptions. I don’t know why there there aren’t more venues working with streamers to widen audience

gears_suck
    Free Member

I recommend “Big Boy” if you haven’t heard him read this one, it’s pretty darn funny. No doubt many will relate.

IHN

Is there a podcast or easy source ?

I have him as a favourite in the (really quite excellent) iPlayer radio app. Like Stoner said, when he’s on R4/R4Extra the shows are on there for about a month after (and you can download them to your device)

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers folks will see what I can source legitimately and start with the recommendations

pictonroad

Sign up to audible, his books are on there. You can pay monthly and quit any time if you don’t find anything else to your taste.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What I want to know is: had anyone here actually has MET David Sedaris

johnx2
    Free Member

He’s really good. A lot to it, not just played for laughs. Works best written down for me. Perhaps less funny but more like tapping into thoughts without the distraction of comic timing etc (etc including his voice 🙂 )

His comedian sister’s the cat in Bojack. And in an advert “hi, I’m Amy Sedaris…” that lurks on the fringes of my memory. Not googling. Why would I Google with this useless salty string in my skull?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I find him a bit dry and self indulgent, but he’s ok for a listen on the long drive home. Certainly better than some of the 18:30 ‘comedy’.

Jamie
    Free Member

I find him a bit dry and self indulgent

He has to have some Radio 4 comedy qualifiers. Luckily, I think the rest of it balances out his odd moment of Stephan Fryishness.

righog
    Free Member

I have liked him since his first appearance on Radio 4.

We even went to see him live which I really enjoyed, as you could just sit and enjoy rather than the usual massive expectations of seeing a favourite band or the Faux hilarity of watching a comedian live.

It’s not all jolly japes some of his essays involving his sister are quite harrowing, because of their light delivery.

If you can find it his story about Dutch Christmas is worth a listen.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

6 to 8 black men?

righog
    Free Member

Thats the one

maxlite
    Free Member

Really enjoyed him on R4 yesterday.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

He’s currently on R4 every Thursday night 18.30-1900,it’s the comedy slot.
    I’ve not read his books,only heard his R4 shows,I think he’s great.

I recommend “Big Boy” if you haven’t heard him read this one, it’s pretty darn funny.

One of my mates was round fitting carpets earlier.He’d never heard of David Sedaris so I played him that sketch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘David Sedaris’ is closed to new replies.