• This topic has 42 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I was told I was getting a promotion but…
  • swoosh
    Free Member

In November we had our annual performance reviews at work, and whilst a director who left a year ago is still a shareholder and that’s kind of hanging over the company until he leaves, my boss told me that they want to give me a promotion once the old director accepts the severance pay and stops being a shareholder.

My boss told me that I’m currently doing the role anyway so this will be more about kudos than anything else. He mentioned that the old director should be out of the way by end of January but it actually happened earlier than expected (about first week of Jan) but nothing has come of my promotion. I was thinking it might be when our pay slips were handing out but nothing was said yesterday about it and the pay was the same as before.

We’re only a small 8 person office based company so we generally all know what’s going on so I’d have thought I would have got a sniff of it by now but nothing has happened. Am I being too presumptuous in expecting the promotion to be forthcoming? He’s already said I’m doing the role so it would be nice to have the recognition, I’m not even after any financial recognition.

It’s not like I can just walk up to my boss and say “so about that promotion you mentioned…” Is it?!

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not like I can just walk up to my boss and say “so about that promotion you mentioned…” Is it?!

Unless that’s the final test?

mechanicaldope

Why not?

sadexpunk

if he told you youd be getting it when matey left, id say its exactly like you can just walk up to him and ask him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t get where I am today without…….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Funny shoes?

wallop

Post it notes?

Jamie
    Free Member

There’s ways of asking. For example don’t do this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZomwVcGt0LE[/video]

…but just ask politely.

Cougar

I would, but then I grew a bolshy streak and stopped giving a toss about office politics in the mid-90s. (Also, my boss is awesome.)

wallop

I would totally ask my boss about it!

Jamie
    Free Member

I would totally ask my boss about it!

Good plan. Let’s all ask our bosses, and hopefully one of them can pass the message on to OP’s boss.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why not?

Just ask politely….

footflaps

Good plan. Let’s all ask our bosses, and hopefully one of them can pass the message on to OP’s boss.

My boss says has the OP forgotten about the incident with the photocopier and the tube of Ralgex….

scaredypants

My boss told me that I’m currently doing the role anyway so this will be more about kudos than anything else

like pay, for example ?

scaredypants

my boss says my tea’s ready on the table

8)

swoosh
    Free Member

How should i phrase it if I ask nicely and politely?

perchypanther
    Free Member

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

jonnyboi

If you don’t ask you don’t get

funkmasterp

TheBrick
    Free Member

If your boss doesn’t give you a promotion when all you want it kudos he is a fool. Cheapest way to get someone to do more for no extra money.

I used to work at a place where folks would turn down promotion as it took them over the threshold for paid overtime and it meant a pay cut.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What was your new job title going to be?

swoosh
    Free Member

He didn’t say but I have a good idea what it would have been.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Assertiveness Director?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

oldnpastit

If your boss doesn’t give you a promotion when all you want it kudos he is a fool. Cheapest way to get someone to do more for no extra money.

+1.

You’re actually doing him a favour by reminding him, as otherwise in about 6 months time he’ll have to find someone to replace you.

Managers hate hiring new people more than almost anything else (severe toothache maybe just squeaks ahead).

burko73

I like hiring new people if duffers leave.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Sounds great. My work told me I was getting promoted, 8 months and a lot of chasing later they announced they had messed up the paperwork so I wasn’t getting it. Voted with my feet there…

mefty
    Free Member

Ask him to sign off an order for new business cards.

brakes
    Free Member

ask for a chat, mention the conversation you’d had before – tell him your keen and looking forward to the opportunity.
    see what he says. don’t press him for a response, just make him see that you’re interested.

Cougar

I used to work at a place where folks would turn down promotion as it took them over the threshold for paid overtime and it meant a pay cut.

Just don’t do overtime then. What halfwit works for free?

wallop

I do, frequently 😆

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s already said I’m doing the role so it would be nice to have the recognition, I’m not even after any financial recognition.

Isn’t the point of promotion that you get more money? Otherwise what’s the point?

The manager might just need reminding, his mind may have been on the other situation so he may have forgotten.

IA

Isn’t the point of promotion that you get more money? Otherwise what’s the point?

Gets him a better “current role” when shopping around for a new one? 😈

gobuchul
    Free Member

It just maybe that any promotions have to be agreed at a monthly board meeting.

When do the directors formally meet?

Just ask your boss if it’s happening? Where’s the harm?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I had this at the last place I worked at.
    Boss offers me a promotion to director I express great interest.
    Fast forward 2 years nothings happened then out of the blue offers it to me with no extra pay. I was that fed up with it by then I turned it down saying ‘I’m here for the money not the job title’
    He took it quite well to be honest.

angeldust
    Free Member

Just ask FFS. Do it politely. What’s the worst that could happen? He won’t have forgotten about it, and if he is avoiding the discussion because the promotion is no longer available, it still needs to be discussed. If you leave it he will just think you are a pushover.

IHN

He’s already said I’m doing the role so it would be nice to have the recognition, I’m not even after any financial recognition

Ah, so you’re a mug then.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

don’t ask, don’t get

Just start with “so, we had a conversation regarding…”

If he can’t remember then remind him you know where he lives and make a creepy comment about his wife, it can only end well

swoosh
    Free Member

It just maybe that any promotions have to be agreed at a monthly board meeting.

When do the directors formally meet?

They don’t have organised meetings, probably discuss this sort of stuff when they are the last ones left after hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I was told I was getting a promotion but…’ is closed to new replies.