• This topic has 114 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Dating – what's your story …
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Now watching Ch 4 How to find love online …

Bloody hell that’s a lot of effort put in to find date sitting in front of pooter.

How do you find dates nowadays anyway?

There are nutters out there so how do you avoid being kidnap for ransom?

😯

samuri
    Free Member

I dated women quite a lot, they’re all nutters.

chewkw
    Free Member

samuri – Member

I dated women quite a lot, they’re all nutters.

😆 How did they punish you?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Were you kidnapped for ransom ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s been a little while now (many years) but what worked for me was to stop looking.
    The reek of desperation is about as off putting as anything. Listening to some absolute horror stories from friends would be enough to put me off.
    Get on with your life and see what comes along. Get out be sociable, do things you enjoy and expand your social circle. A fairly good way to meet people who like the sort of things you do.

maccruiskeen

Bloody hell that’s a lot of effort put in to find date sitting in front of pooter.

My gf had to find contributors for a documentary about internet dating. To be able to contact people on dating sites you need to have a profile that matches their interests, so to contact straight men you need a straight female profile and so on. So she had to create multiple profiles – ages, genders, orientations in order to be able to see and contact peoples profiles, and had to do this across multiple sites. I think to get a dozen or so contributors there were something like 3000 initial contacts made. Theres a scene towards the end of Homeland where Clare Dane’s character melts down and here house is covered in notes about the case. Thats what our spare room looked like – hundreds of URLS, logins and passwords, on post-it notes all over the walls and she was contacting so many people the sites would lock her out for hours or days at a time. The site admins must have thought she was a massive bunny boiler

So her experience of the online dating sphere? In summary “Its a murky pond” 🙂

martymac

a guy at my work met a girl on some dating website or other, theyve been going out for about a year now, and tbh they both seem really happy with each other.
    the guy i work with is a decent bloke, ive been drinking with him a few times and the girl he has met seems really nice, although i have only spoken to her very briefly.
    although, im sure for every nice story there are probably several hundred horror stories.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKWIBaZHiWU[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Were you kidnapped for ransom ?

No, but then in GeordieLand anything can happen as they are plenty of women with biceps bigger than mine.

mikewsmith – Member

Get on with your life and see what comes along. Get out be sociable, do things you enjoy and expand your social circle.

Hhhmmm … where to start? Ask your co-workers? Social circle (with female is a massive failure) at the moment is non-existence with just blokes.

maccruiskeen,

Yes, that bit about creating profiles … 😯

Looks like she is trying to profile some criminals. 😆

That’s good Youtbue clip … :mrgreen:

martymac,

That is wonderful … you sure they have no split personalities …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hhhmmm … where to start? Ask your co-workers? Social circle (with female is a massive failure) at the moment is non-existence with just blokes.

1 night stands with all your co workers should at least make christmas parties more fun 🙂 That was more where expanding social circles comes in. Join something, go somewhere do something. Try a climbing wall, just to be 1 woman to every 200 blokes, now seems the other way round.

No, but then in GeordieLand anything can happen as they are plenty of women with biceps bigger than mine.

Being from those parts, a colleague who I worked with recounted a tale from a visit north for work. He asked about good nights to go out and was told Norses night was good (one particular night of the week)? Eventually when they got out they found it was Nurses Night (after payday) and everything was a lot better.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My question was aimed at samuri and all the “nutters” he’s dated chewkw.

Although I was interested to hear that plenty of women in your hometown have bigger biceps than you. So I understand your concerns. Take it easy fella.

batfink
    Free Member

I had a brief foray into the world of internet dating….. it was a total and utter waste of time and (emotional) energy.

After talking to some female friends that have also tried it, they told me that as a half-decent looking woman you get completely bombarded with messages from wierdos (hello!) thus rendering the whole system unusable.

I gave up and was convinced to try speed-dating. I had resisted doing this for ages. Best thing I ever did! Met my current GF, we’ve been together for 3 years now, and have just moved to oz.

The good thing about speed dating is that the format is a barrier to people who’s social skills are not up-to a 3 minute face to face conversation. Even if they do turn up, it’s pretty obvious who they are, and you can just mark a “no” on your card.

Anyway, maybe not for everybody, but the whole speed dating thing was much better for me that internet dating.

Kryton57

My one and only dabble with aol’s chat rooms has led me to a wife and 2 kids. The best £11.99 a month I’ve ever spent.

globalti
    Free Member

Sunday Times personals here. Mrs Gti placed an ad, I responded. The crazy thing is that I circled the ad then forgot about it and when I remembered, had to go looking for the paper – I could so easily not have bothered. Thanks to that little tiny impulse we married and made a baby who is now a healthy 14 year-old with a whole life ahead of him. It’s shocking and even distressing to think that if I hadn’t gone off and found the paper and written that letter, he would never have existed.

ononeorange

I was born ugly and could never get women to be in the same building as me, never mind dating. I did manage to get married to the most inappropriate old boot which was a disastr, and after that broke up tried Internet dating (quite some years ago now). Bloody hell, there are some weirdos on there! One Russian woman took an unhealthy interest in what car I had and wanted to meet in a specific secluded lay by (“so her husband wouldn’t find her”), another asked me within 2 emails to “cut the crap, how much cash have you got as I have 3 kids to support”. I ran a mile. The one date I did get from a newspaper to a quite stunning lady promptly went back to her ex on meeting me!

I gave up. To my utter surprise and never-ending delight, I met the now mrs o when I didn’t expect it and had resolved to give up trying at all.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you were a single bloke in Derby I would feel very very sorry for you, last time we were out I reckon the ratio was easily 70/30 men/women…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

How to find love online …

eeeeezy…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Friends & colleagues on the second lap use them, too many nutter stories for me, mostly male nutters.
    Colleague runs a singles night in her spare time and that seems a bit better, still get a share of oddballs and weirdos.

vickypea
    Free Member

My sister met a lovely bloke on an Internet dating site, they’ve been together 3 years now. Two of my friends, however, keep meeting nutters.
    I recommend Mountain Mayhem- that’s where I met Mr Pea!

samuri
    Free Member

Never got kidnapped but some of them certainly took social awkwardness to a new level. And that’s from a grade A geek.

dashed
    Free Member

Dabbled a bit on t’internet dating a few years ago. Met someone amazing first go, didn’t work out for a few reasons 🙁

Since had another dabble and just seem to meet crazies. Went on a date recently and the girl who I’d been emailing must have been busy as she sent her mother along… Either that or it was a very old photo on her profile!!

Another girl I met was absolutely stunning in a very understated way, rode horses for a living so was clearly in good shape, but then spent the whole date telling me how thick she was. I sure she wasn’t and it kinda felt like she was convincing herself she was. Weird!

I’ve been on a few mtb dates as well – never my choice, much rather go to the pub for a drink and at least you can get out of there quick if it isn’t working out. Despite claiming to be really into mtbing, they inevitably they turn up on a Halfords £99 special which hasn’t been out of the shed since last summer. I’ve now started taking a fairly well stocked toolkit 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

I get married in December .We met online Two years ago .There are lots of odd folk out there though most of them are on Plenty Of Fish ,which isnt where we met

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thought I’d give internet dating a go after been dubious about it for years, after hearing all the horror stories, etc. The first and only date i went on after only been on the website for a couple if weeks, I met my now Fianceé. Right place at the right time and all that…..

Torminalis
    Free Member

I met a girl on Plenty of Fish a couple of years ago. We got married and are now expecting twin girls.

I dated loads of women whilst I was looking for the right one and it is a numbers game at the end of the day. The more prospects you meet, the better your chances of finding one with whom you are suitably compatible. The internet gives you to access of massive databases of people who are looking to find someone to love. No mixed signals, everybody knows what they want.

I think it will do as much for the gene pool as bicycles did.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

. The first and only date i went on after only been on the website for a couple if weeks, I met my now Fianceé. Right place at the right time and all that…..

Almost the same here, was on a website for a couple of weeks chatted to loads of women during that time one women in particular stood out, we went on a date 3.5 months ago and have hardly left each others sides since.

🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Internet dating really worked for me although im an outgoing gobshite that stops when it comes to chatting up the opposite sex .Chatting on the internet before we met really made meeting after a couple of weeks a lot easier

mrmoofo

I used to know two women who used internet datings sites … it seemed to be a way of guys getting easy casual sex… by promising anything the ladezee wanted …
    One of them even moved in with a guy she had met, the day after the first date …
    She left him after two weeks – but I guess they had great sex …. and then they had to start talking.

missnotax
    Free Member

Bloody nightmare – I have recently decided that i’m happy with my steady decline into crazed spinsterhood, but cleverly replacing cats with bikes… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Talking of Channel 4 – did anyone see that “First Dates” thing, where they have set up a restaurant with cameras especially to film the first dates? Christ, if that’s the sort of idiots that are out there! I think there was 1 normal couple that were intelligent enough not to talk about stupid things (paedophiles, dead wives, innuendo, blow jobs, poo, etc).

Bloke I used to work with met, moved to the US and married a woman he met online – this was in 1990 on a Bulletin Board!

footflaps

I met my OH on Fitness Singles 4 years ago, we get married in 7 weeks….

stcolin
    Free Member

Every girl I’ve ‘dated’ was from online. I simply don’t have the balls to go up to a girl in real life as start a conversation. With my girlfriend now almost 2 years, met on POF.

nbt

I’m currently enjoying this blog

http://28dateslater.blogspot.co.uk/p/new-read-it-from-beginning.html

I’m *so* glad I’m happily married and out of this game

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i met my gf through online dating. after a year of being on match.com, and i’d pretty much given up hope of meeting anyone who wasn’t insane or totally incompatible (and i’d got to that point without having a single date too), then a week before my membership ended she showed up in my search thingy.
    this was 3.5 years ago now.

steveoath
    Free Member

Met Mrs. Oath 5 years ago on a dating site. Had been out with 1 nutter, 4 other women first. Our paths would never have crossed otherwise. Been married for 2 years and first child on the way in Sept 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

missnotax – Member
    Bloody nightmare – I have recently decided that i’m happy with my steady decline into crazed spinsterhood, but cleverly replacing cats with bikes…

Fancy dinner sometime? 😆

momo

I met the current MrsMomo through match.com – I also met the previous MrsMomo on there, lovely girl but didn’t have time for anything but work. Yes there are a lot of weird people on there (POF is worse than most, 1 girl I went on a date with looked like she had eaten the person in her photos!).

Have also met women in the pub when I wasn’t really looking.

missnotax
    Free Member

dashed – Member

missnotax – Member
    Bloody nightmare – I have recently decided that i’m happy with my steady decline into crazed spinsterhood, but cleverly replacing cats with bikes…

Fancy dinner sometime?

No money for dinner – keep spending it all on bikes 😉 😆

crazy-legs

The girl I met through online dating (we were together for a year or so) once showed me some of the emails she’d had from other guys.

Oh. My. God.
    One guy suggesting she was just the sort of bit on the side he was looking for while he was “working away”. Loads of men who made it obvious that all they were after was sex. Some emails that were barely readable due to the appalling spelling and grammar.

And someone who, in his introductory email to her, had said he expected her to dress up in nurses uniform and spank him.

Mind you, some of the women I met on there were just as weird.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I haven’t dated anyone since 1990. These stories don’t inspire me to start!

sharki
    Free Member

I’m not in a position to do online dating sites, but tbh, it appears a numbers game and sadly it seems the people on these sites aren’t exactly accurate about themselves, certainly in the case of fitness singles..

Luckily i don’t seem to have a problem in meeting lovely ladies and do so, despite my social status of a rambling hobo.

Somehow, ladies like the idea of me living a minimalistic life, dwelling in a cobweb strewn outhouse and doing various jobs from Bee keeping, orchard care, apple pressing, audio and visual and construction. Then there’s my love of the outdoors and in wildlife photography. Maybe it makes me interesting to talk to.

It helps i’m relatively fit, not carrying lard and easy on the eye, so i’ve heard. Plus if they even get my sense of humour as it’s a little quick for most, it’s a good.

It’s just a well then that i’m at first very shy and rarely approach women. But wherever i go, there they seem to be and for some reason, they approach me. It’s then i strike with either a repellent or a waft of natural pheromones to lure them to my lair.

I don’t wear aftershave or deodorant, i wear no fancy fashionable clothes and am at most of the appearance that i’ve just walked through a hedge or festering ditch, which i normally have.

What i’m saying here is that i don’t go looking for it, i don’t make an effort to be anything other than what and who i am and in doing so, i only meet people who are genuinely interested in me, i’m almost always in a place where i like to be, doing the things i like to do and thus, meet likewise people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Dating – what's your story …’ is closed to new replies.