Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dartmoor
  • Pz_Steve

I’ve got half a day to kill this weekend in the Totnes area. Aiming for SE Dartmoor and looking for suggestions. I know there are loads of route guides online, but my real question is; what trails will still be worth riding after the kind of rain they’re forecasting for this week?

I’m after 2-3 hours riding, something fun but not TOO punishing… I want to enjoy myself, rather than enjoying the feeling when the ordeal is over!

Thanks for your help…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ride around Avon dam is not bad – fair bit of steady climbing but it will be a big soggy for a mile or so about 20 min in – the rest is pretty all weather – nothing really super-technical or drop offs. Best thing I can think nr to you?

luked2
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

crispybacon
    Free Member

IMHO – anti-clockwise is better on that route & you get a good downhill section just before Ugborough Beacon which you wouldn’t really want to ride up if you were going the other way 🙂

Pz_Steve

Thanks Foxy & Crispy. Reckon I’ll dig out my wet weather gear and compass for when the cloud level comes down, and head out there.

Cheers!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Pz_Steve – if I was you then I’d park in South Brent near the station is good & start/finish from there. Take the road to Lutton & then take the bw left to Didworthy before picking up Foxy’s route above. As Foxy says the bw running North to West above the reservoir will be very boggy now with all the rain we’ve had. Aim for the clapper bridge then hike-a-bike up the steep hill. Once on the Two Moors Way it’s nice track back towards Ugborough Beacon & South Brent.

Have fun.

Si
    Free Member

If your around Sun at some point il show you the moorland singletrack around Hound Tor. Well worth it.

Personally I think its god awful riding around Avon Dam

carlphillips
    Free Member

try Slugwash of Totnes parish, he’ll have a few good routes most probably in the near vicinity.
    my experience of the avon dam area is the same as Si’s im afraid more slog than fun.
    hound tor/lustleigh/widecombe/easdon tor is the way forward for routes.

oh issue 49 of this mag has some good routes of most of the legal stuff in the east dartmoor area.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

God how I miss Dartmoor 🙁

😛

Si
    Free Member

Sluggers is away in spain at the moment im afraid. May have to retract my offer too as im up at the moment feelin like absolute shit

foxyrider
    Free Member

I only suggested Avon Dam as its pretty close to him in Totnes 🙂 – of course there are much better routes – Depends how far he wants to travel in the car! Houndtor, Bowermans and the cleave are my frequent haunts! It show you around but I am away this weekend 🙁

Pz_Steve

Thanks guys – really appreciate all the responses. TBH I’m happy to drive a bit more for good riding.

Also happy to get the map out and have fun linking up likely looking bits of bridleway. What is really useful is thoughts on what’s going to be a boggy hell and should be avoided, and what’ll still ride well when wet.

Also, any pointers on hard-navigate trails that I’ll want to avoid if the cloud comes down? I don’t want to be botehring the Dartmoor Rescue team particularly…

Cheers!!

Si
    Free Member

I live in Totnes and its not much further to get to Bovey / Hound about 30mins all in. What sort of riding you after? Moorland trails, steep and technical and il have a think.

Drop me a mail as will show you about if your around.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry if I had more time or the weekend off I’d be happy to show you around but going to Italy tomorrow and a bit snowed under – hope you have a good ride 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

Steve – ygm

If it doesn’t get through drop me an email (addy in profile) & I’ll try again.

focusrider
    Free Member

If you fancy a nice ride this Sunday you are welcome to join us for a ride from Bovey Tracey, around Houndtor Woods etc 30km in total. We are a friendly group of riders of mixed ability and fitness but always go out and come back together.

Our group is called ‘Over the Hill’ (OTH) and details are found on Bikeradar – forums – Mountain bike – mtb rides

Cheers Paul

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor’ is closed to new replies.