Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Dark Side – Best Bike on an unlimited budget?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

OK – looking to upgrade from a Cervelo S3 to something with a bit more panache.

It’ll have full 7900 groupset (with SRM cranks) and every combo of Zipp wheels available but what frame to go for? Any fancy carbon bits that folk can recommend in terms of bars etc.

Ideas?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

THM carbones cranks, fibrelyte carbon rings, KMC X-10sl ti-N chain, nokon carbon outer cables, good selection selection of FMB tubs, schmolke bars and if you must stick to shitmano, surely Di2?

wwaswas

I’m surprised, most people buying at this level have a pretty clear picture of what they want from a bike and a good idea of who can provide it.

What sort of riding do you do? road racing, sportives, just for fun?
    do you do lots of climbing, mostly flat, bit of everything
    do you want custom geometry?
    what frame material? carbon, Ti, 953?

not sure where you are but I’d get a ‘proper’ bike fit done as a start point and look at some of the q’s above and then see what provides what you need?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    sc-xc

Boardman, Ribble or Planet x

sc-xc

*hopes the default ‘what road bike’ answer works*

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

“panache” you say..

According to google this is a panache.

Not showing off it’s ‘dark side’ that much though?

..or being more serious.. what wwaswas said.

Or is it just for posing about on? In which case stick with the panache 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Crumpton – custom made carbon.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Baum

Love the Gulf inspired Correto.

BigJohn

Some would say a Pinarello Dogma, some would say the new Specialized McLaren Venge, but I would go for an Indy Fab Crown Jewels.

You can have it in Ti or go for the Rapha version for extra spend with no return.

And who wants a bike made in Brum?

sambob
    Free Member

OMG want the Baum. What about a custom Ti indyfab thingy.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Upgrade from an S3 ??

AFAIK, that’s a 3499 frameset! – Do you honestly think it’s holding you back?

I’m sure Storck could sell you something for twice that – provided you have more money than sense.

* Indy Fab / Pegoretti all nice and that for poncing about and showing off on, but they couldn’t match a decent Carbon frame for weight/stiffness, the only thing they’re got going for them is the ‘prestige’ and the romance of ownership

oddjob
    Free Member

R5CA must be up there but I think I’d go for McClarn Venge

Having said thatt, I don’t think I could top my R3SL unles it was an S3 bu rumour has it there will be an update tp the S3 coming later this year…

mrmo
    Free Member

on an unlimited budget, i quite fancy a Cinelli supercorsa, kitted with Super Record. I don’t race so am not interested in having the most efficient machine.

tonyg2003

How about Pardee (made to measure carbon frame), DI2, Lightweight wheels. no change for £10k but very, very bling.

RealMan
    Free Member

Why are people just suggesting cheap mainstream crap? Do you people not understand what unlimited means?

It means this.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/interbike/interbike-2010-tech-gallery-%E2%80%93-a-45000-six-pound-carbon-road-bike-assembled-by-fairwheel-bikes_142776

mieszko
    Free Member

Unlimited budget buys You downtube shifters only? 😉

wallop

McLaren Venge, for a laugh

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

That frame Realman looks like it’s been made by college students or cynic-al 😉

Is the OP question genuine? That sort of money he’s willing to splash out I’d have thought he should know himself what he wanted.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Is this real?

RealMan
    Free Member

That frame Realman looks like it’s been made by college students or cynic-al

Last I heard that bike had had a couple of thousand km put into it and it was still running perfectly.

Unlimited budget buys You downtube shifters only?

Why would you want to ruin it with handlebar shifters? Why would you need them, there’s no advantages.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Loving the Cervelo I saw Ryder Hesjeda on last night in the Tour of California

frameset is £7,500

tonyg2003

Storck is a good call too. I have a friend that has one with a custom made carbon travel case for it too. If you have to ask how much……

mieszko
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Why would you want to ruin it with handlebar shifters? Why would you need them, there’s no advantages.

I might not be into road bikes for too long but for me STI shifters are much better than downtube shifters, having to find the shifter, reach to it etc. I had a go on a bike with downtube shifters and it was crap. Integrated shifters all the way for me. You probably have STI’s on Your road bike as well don’t You? Just swap to some downtube shifters then if there are no advantages 😉

Also I imagine there is a weight limit on most if not all parts on that uber light bike so at hefty 89kg I would not be able to use it and it would not last under me that long. And also chainrings out of carbon fibre? It might look good but I would like same usability as a normal road bike.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

It might have had a few thousand km put on it doesn’t stop the fact it looks like it was made in a garden shed.

RealMan
    Free Member

You probably have STI’s on Your road bike as well don’t You? Just swap to some downtube shifters then if there are no advantages

I use my road bike to train and race though, where there clearly are advantages. You wouldn’t use a £45,000 6lb road bike for either of those things, so why ruin the looks and the weight?

It might have had a few thousand km put on it doesn’t stop the fact it looks like it was made in a garden shed.

You can get a good looking bike for £1000. On an unlimited budget, I’d want something special. There’s nothing more special then that.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and thats a fine example their 😉 Each to their own 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

The guy in the Tour of Cali yesterday, Sutherland did well – get one of what he had – Boardman I reckon Halfords will sort you out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s nothing more special then that in my opinion at least.

FTFY

ourmaninthenorth

* Indy Fab / Pegoretti all nice and that for poncing about and showing off on, but they couldn’t match a decent Carbon frame for weight/stiffness, the only thing they’re got going for them is the ‘prestige’ and the romance of ownership

And the quality of the ride. Mate has had a Pegoretti Luigino for several years. He’s now clearing out all of his other bikes to make the funds for, potentially, a Pegoretti Marcelo.

One of the bikes he’ll be selling is a 1970s Masi with full era-correct Super Record….

finbar
    Free Member

I’d get a Crumpton or a Parlee if i was an odd shape and wanted custom, and/or if i wanted something i’d never see anyone else riding.

If i didn’t have unlimited funds but was still loaded i’d hang on and get the new Cannondale SuperSix Evo when it comes out.

Cervelo are like the Audi of the road bike world.

As regards bits, full Enve composites (or Schmolke if you want to be different). AX Lightness brakes.

crikey
    Free Member

Ho Hum…

Spend whatever you want, but remember that in two years it’ll be
    ‘that must have cost a bit back then’,
    in 4 years it’ll be
    ‘they used to be ace’,
    and in 6 years it’ll be
    ‘there’s that old guy on that old bike’.

Bike tech moves on so quickly that that ‘bike for life’ or ‘best bike ever’ will be out of date before your haircut. The best bike ever when I started racing was some 753 Campag downtube shifter thing, then it was some alloy STI thing, then some carbon/alloy thing, then some carbon Super Record thing, then some carbon Di2 thing…

SBrock
    Free Member

I’m sorry for being blunt but isn’t this a Mountain Bike Forum?

I don’t want to read about road bikes….I would not post on a road bike forum what the best All-Mountain rig is?

I’m sure forums exist for road bike users?

And I’m sorry but doesn’t the OP seem a bit up his own arse.. “look at me I’m gonna buy carbon this…carbon that” WTF!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I don’t want to read about road bikes

Don’t open the thread then 🙄

SBrock
    Free Member

FFS its a mountain bike forum

TheDoctor
    Free Member

FFS its a mountain bike forum

All I am hearing is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh and get a custom Parlee, lovely they are!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

A mountain bike.

beej

Given he only had £2-2.5K to spend on a new car, and was selling a BeOne frame for £250, it might not be entirely serious.

Mountain bike, road bike, whatever bike – why worry about the difference?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Mountain bike, road bike, whatever bike – why worry about the difference?

Because they’re different sports?

What golf clubs…

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m sorry for being blunt but isn’t this a Mountain Bike Forum?

I don’t want to read about road bikes….I would not post on a road bike forum what the best All-Mountain rig is?

I’m sure forums exist for road bike users?

And I’m sorry but doesn’t the OP seem a bit up his own arse.. “look at me I’m gonna buy carbon this…carbon that” WTF!

CFH, care to suggest something that’s more special?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side – Best Bike on an unlimited budget?’ is closed to new replies.