• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TN.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dark Peak – route recommendation/help required please.
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi

I am trying to plan a route for me and my husband to ride. I have a few bits that I think he would like and be able to ride but am having some difficulty linking them up so I wonder if anyone could help me out. I can't include anything too hard/with big drops/too perilous because he has to ride one handed and falls off quite regularly – hope that makes sense?
    Here's what I've got so far:

Park at the top of Winnats Pass and ride to the western end of Rushop Edge on the road, ride Rushop west to east then turn left onto the road over the top of the hill and then right onto the back side of Mam Tor to Hollins Cross. I've never ridden this but looking at the map it looks okay but I don't know what sort of terrain it is?
    Then, I would *like* to get us to Hope Cross to ride along the roman road to either Hope or Aston.
    I am not sure how best to do that? Drop down left from Hollins Cross to the road via Backtor Farm looks the most logical way but I don't want to kill him so the 'easiest' route down would be best here, please?
    If it means I have to take us right and back down into Castleton then so be it, I can make something up on the road from Castleton, probably riding the next section in reverse or something…

The final question I have is about getting down from Hope Cross – ride southeast along the Roman Road and then the bridleway splits. The right fork goes down to Fullwood Stile Farm and then Hope. I have ridden this with a friend who had never ridden off road and rode on a normal hybrid type bike. She enjoyed it and didn't find it too tough, so I reckon J would *probably* be okay but I wondered what we would face if we forked left instead and headed along the side of Win Hill and into Aston. The gradient looks less steep but I don't know what the surface is like – can anyone help with this bit too?

Like I said, I would rather not break Julian but he's getting a bit bored with the routes we have been doing so I need to find something a bit more exciting. (but not TOO exciting)
    Basically the 'sub plot' to all of these questions is, could you ride it one handed?

Thanks in advance.

T&J

TN
    Free Member

Ugh, epic – sorry…

joiner
    Free Member

roman road is less rocky but not without its dangers

off hollins cross heading towards greenlands is the easier way but the top section you may have to walk

TN
    Free Member

Thanks joiner, I see where you mean. And neither of us is too proud to get off and walk. 🙂

It's looking like he might be getting a 'riding arm' at some point, but I don't think it's going to be any time too soon…

BadlyWiredDog

Park at the top of Winnats Pass and ride to the western end of Rushop Edge on the road, ride Rushop west to east then turn left onto the road over the top of the hill and then right onto the back side of Mam Tor to Hollins Cross. I've never ridden this but looking at the map it looks okay but I don't know what sort of terrain it is?

That bridleway climbs quite easily, just been restored, no rocky bits, then descends again onto the ridge on grassy, rutted stuff with a couple of small rock steps. All quite doable, I'd guess.

Then, I would *like* to get us to Hope Cross to ride along the roman road to either Hope or Aston.
    I am not sure how best to do that? Drop down left from Hollins Cross to the road via Backtor Farm looks the most logical way but I don't want to kill him so the 'easiest' route down would be best here, please?
    If it means I have to take us right and back down into Castleton then so be it, I can make something up on the road from Castleton, probably riding the next section in reverse or something…

The climb up to Hope Cross via Jaggers Clough is your best option heading up. The righthand descent from Hollins Cross is small rocky at the top, then a slightly rubbly chute with a couple of rock steps and some awkward rutty bits. There's one step that you'd definitely want to walk, but otherwise it's not too bad. The lefthand descent has a couple of rock drop-offs high up, but the rest is more big ruts than anything else, probably easier on balance. The drop into Castleton is grassy and easy high up, finishes down a bouldery, narrow, walled path which a lot of folk walk anyway. A bit off course though.

The final question I have is about getting down from Hope Cross – ride southeast along the Roman Road and then the bridleway splits. The right fork goes down to Fullwood Stile Farm and then Hope. I have ridden this with a friend who had never ridden off road and rode on a normal hybrid type bike. She enjoyed it and didn't find it too tough, so I reckon J would *probably* be okay but I wondered what we would face if we forked left instead and headed along the side of Win Hill and into Aston. The gradient looks less steep but I don't know what the surface is like – can anyone help with this bit too?

The Aston descent from Hope Brink is mostly fast grass, long continuous ruts, one large hump, but easier, I think than the drop on the Roman Road which is rubbly / rocky though nowt big.

On balance, I'd take the righthand descent from Hollins, walk the awkward bits, then at least you have a short road section before the Jaggers climb, which is pretty straighforward.

TN
    Free Member

Thanks, that's really helpful.
    I'm quite excited about this now, knowing that I hadn't come up with anything too silly. I'll let you know how we get on. I will make sure he's all armoured up, just in case… 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dark Peak – route recommendation/help required please.’ is closed to new replies.