Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Damaged Cavity Tray – What're my options?
  • Daffy

So, during the recent storm, our west-facing wall was subject to substantial driving rain which penetrated the outer wall (I’m having this re-pointed and water-sealed when the better weather arrives) which resulted in the destruction of our hallway ceiling.

Our hallway once (I’m guessing, as this is a new house to us) had another, main door which opened into a porch, The porch door has since become the main front door and the inner wall/door removed to make a larger hallway. The twin lintles above this old door support the brickwork above. the cavity tray which is above this is half missing with the other half badly damaged and leaking.

What’re my options for repair of the cavity tray?

Cheers,

M

Bear
    Free Member

Replace.

Get an Arbotech saw and remove bricks as required.

singlesman
    Free Member

Hi Daffy, when retrospectively fitting cavity trays you have to cut out a course of external brickwork above the existing lintel and feed in a new section of membrane before reinstating.
    Are you sure poor pointing is the problem? Cavity trays are really only to direct moisture/ condensation to weep holes in the external skin.
    To have enough water coming in to ruin ceilings, ( down the internal face of the internal brick/ block work? ) I would have thought you possibly have roof problems.
    We work on many property’s that have had no cavity trays fitted, although they should, but I can’t recall any significant damp problems caused by their absence.

singlesman
    Free Member

Sorry, just re- read your post, are we talking about the same thing? How are you able to see damaged/ missing cavity tray? Is the damaged section of ceiling just the head of the reveal where the door frame fits?

peepingtom
    Free Member

If your house has had a porch once then chances are any tray fitted was for the flashing for the porch NOT the lintel your mentioning .
    Ive been a brickie for 37 years and had to alter a canny few ill fitted trays on brand new builds .
    I’d be knocking out 3 course above the lintel then you want to make sure the ends are turned up and weep holes fitted on the new tray .

{ Capillary action } !

Daffy

Hey Peepingtom,

That would make sense. The upstanding on the flashing is also non-existent on one half of the porch which hasn’t helped.

As a gauge, what would you charge for doing something like this?

M

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Damaged Cavity Tray – What're my options?’ is closed to new replies.