Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Maddison addict Waterproof, DWR or Softshell
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

My altura attacks lasted 6 rides before the saddle area gave up the ghost, so I’m now looking around for a replacement pair of winter shorts.
    maddison appears to be doing some good looking stuff with the above all being pretty close price wise.
    No local supplier close by though so looking for some advise on who has the above and what they think.

Ideally they need to come just over the knee and more importantly need to have a really good arse patch as the grit in the peaks eats through my shorts (other options around £50 welcome)

mark_rich
    Free Member

Interested in a pair too, I noticed wheelies have em in stock at 10% off but more importantly offer free returns like crc so worth a punt.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Good spot Mark they also have all 3 types in all colours and all sizes in stock (this sounds to good to be right).
    So may order all 3 to try

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I considered the DWR or waterproof ones and eventually went for the DWR with the waterproof arse.

The waterproof patch is huge and kept me dry in the pish conditions last week but can’t comment on longevity yet – they look well made though.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Feedback on these, got the waterproof ones in med they came up a little small but still ok.
    Quality looks good although the chunky zips on the pockets we’re pretty Sharp edged and hurt my hands.

First ride: all of the short material that feels like a water proof material works very well, Unfortunately whilst the 3 layer material on the saddle area appears to be pretty tough it was not water proof at all and my arse got a drenching.

So they have gone back under warrenty like the pish altura addicts before them.

On advice from the store I’ve now just bought some endura mt500 II waterproof shorts.
    Initial impressions are they are more like an overshort in feel and design (no buttons or zipped pockets, just a drawstring) but that’s not a bad thing as they are very light, nicely cut (slim, no excess at the crotch and just over the knee) and comfy (but pretty noisy).
    Overall I’m impressed and hopefully they will keep my bum dry and the peak grit won’t destroy the saddle area.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmm, strange. I’ve had 3 pairs of addict shorts with the rear waterproof part, and I’ve never had a wet arse yet, in 3 years. I bought two pairs, and the stitching went in one pair after 2 years use.

Madison replace if the stitching goes, no question. This combined with the fit (purely personal btw) is why I keep buying Madison kit.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

NBITF the waterproof ones or the addict with the dwr rear end?

http://www.madison.cc/p/addict-men-s-waterproof-shorts/cl84715

It suggests that the saddle are is the same material as well

http://www.madison.cc/p/addict-men-s-dwr-shorts/cl84914

siloseven
    Free Member

My addict shorts are reasonably waterproof but I have helped them out a bit with some muc-off proofing spray. Did 5 hours in very wet conditions at the weekend and my bib-shorts underneath were still dry at the end of it. I think part of the problem is making sure they don’t slip down to expose your lower back and allow a route for water to get in then run down – I use some cheap clip-on braces to keep them pulled up.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I realise this silo but all my lower back is dry, as is the top of the inside of the shorts (which is a different material to the bum)
    But my bib pad is saturated and freezing.
    Its like the grit and pressure is pushing the water through
    I didn’t want to proof them as they are brand new and could potentially void the warrenty etc,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought them 3 years ago when they just did one type, possibly DWR rear end. They’re the best shorts I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had a few believe me. So much so, I keep looking to see if anywhere has the old ones left!.

siloseven
    Free Member

I’ve tried 4 different ‘waterproof shorts’ and the addicts seem to be the best. Water might still get through eventually but they hold out for longer than the others. So far I’ve had endura MT500 spray (not bad), moloja something or other bought used (not waterproof and really sweaty), raceface agent winter (really nice but the taped seams leaked) and now the addicts. For whatever reason, it is apparently quite hard to make a properly waterproof pair of shorts.

iainc

I have been struggling on this too and have some Royal Storm ones one the way from CRC on the back of a recommendation from a mate who has been using them for past few months…

andybrad

just a note, i had the tempest. 6 months and the crotch had worn all the way through. Tredz refused to warrenty them. I had to go to maddisons to get them to make tredz take them back!

new pair lasted a month before the membrane started to come away from the short.

still got them but wont buy any more.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My Madison Roam has lasted about 3 months, but the zips have given way. They use this crappy small teeth taped design rather than big teeth and storm flaps. Also the hood wasn’t the best.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’ll replace it frosty, and if you don’t want it, flog the new one.

matt_outandabout

Mudguards?

SimonR

Anyone tried the softshell version?
    http://www.madison.cc/p/addict-men-s-softshell-shorts/cl84806
    Bit difficult to judge how they compare with the DWR and waterproof versions.

They are about half the price of the Gore soft shell shorts and had very good experience of the Madison kit … very tempting

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Ahh I got them from tredz also, the reason I bought from them is they told me on the phone that if they need to be returned then they would replace / refund straight away whilst they send them off to Madison for inspection.

iainc

^^^those softshell ones do look pretty good – might have a look next time in LBS

SimonR

Hi iainc – did you ever get to look at those softshell shorts in your LBS?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Maddison addict Waterproof, DWR or Softshell’ is closed to new replies.