Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Dalbeatie ……Yawn !
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Went today found it really boring, lots of slight climbs with very little reward, a couple of highlights but IMO pretty poor as a trail center.

If you like fireroads, this ones for you.

Who_else
    Free Member

Only boring people get bored.

druidh
    Free Member

Isn't it half-closed at the moment?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its one of the best Stanes! Loads of funky tech stuff. Maybe you weren't riding it fast enough? Its one of those trails that you HAVE to ride fast…

Trekster

You don tknow where the best bits are tho 😉

ton

i like it cos it is quiet and pretty unlike all the other stanes….

coogan
    Free Member

There is a lot of fireroad, but I quite like it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is there a lot of fire-road? I've never noticed… Surely theres just as much at other centres?

I like it because theres stuff that tests me whereas the other centres are all reasonably simple.

Trekster

If we in the west side could get the resources to create as much new trail as they appear to do in the east side then there might be a bit less forest road.
    As it stands atm that is very unlikely.
    Dalbeattie due to it s very nature of being covered in granite boulders costs more per yrd/mtr than any other trail centre to build trails in/on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can't have been the same Dalbeatie I rode. That one was undulating rather than one big climb and descent but tricky in places and a lot of nice singletrack. Did have big stack o the tandem tho – the only time we have bridged it badly

yetiguy
    Free Member

Isn't it half-closed at the moment?

There was one diversion of a shortish section of red route.

Went to Kirroughtree last weekend , much better in my opinion.

As a XC track DB is ok, i just prefer long climbs with looong flowy, technical descents.

Also annoyed at the dog walkers, walking on the singletrack. 😯

Trekster – would love to know where the best bits are, are you talking about going off piste? Is that acceptable, in terms of trail centre etiquette.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Ride it single speed,rigid & fast, it makes everything interesting.I actually thought it was good anyway but heh each to thier own.

singlespeedstu

i just prefer long climbs with looong flowy, technical descents.

WTF are you doing on man made trails then….

richtea
    Free Member

dalbeattie's my favorite. horses for courses

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I was at Dalbeattie today also and the conditions were fantastic. I have never really appreciated it in the past, but as Tweed is still snowbound I thought I would give it another chance. Okay there is quite a bit of fireroad, and it doesn't flow like Kirro, but it is great in its own way. I will be going back soon 🙂

yetiguy
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – WTF are you doing on man made trails then….

Dude you need to get out more, there are LOADS of man made trails with exactly that

singlespeedstu
    yetiguy
    Free Member

Hey duggie style – Cant argue with the conditions up there this morning – FANTASTIC !

You hit the nail on the head with "flow"

It just aint got flow, like a lot of other man made trails i have ridden – treat it like a XC ride and its not bad.

But for 2 and a half hours driving i need more than "not bad", I live next to the lake district so have loads of natural xc type riding on my doorstep.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Nice pics stu, as i said in my op, "a few highlights"

Trekster

Trekster – would love to know where the best bits are, are you talking about going off piste? Is that acceptable, in terms of trail centre etiquette.

Yes & Yes.

Here is the odd trail I made earlier 😉

Also annoyed at the dog walkers, walking on the singletrack.

We live in hamony up here. Wait till you meet the guy walking his ponies 😉

singlespeedstu – Member

i just prefer long climbs with looong flowy, technical descents.

WTF are you doing on man made trails then….

Did nt like to say that myself but was thinking it ❗
    Think the man mainly rides in and around the Lakes so can undrstand his frustrations.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Trekster's second photo down doesnt do that bit justice – it is an awesome section of a few km of off-piste fabness.

I guess you barely noticed the slab, terrible twins, whale sections as you breezed over them with barely a whimper? 😀

For me Dalbeattie is nice and chilled as opposed to being one of deep Glentress style thrills and as it has hardly any visitors is a great day out for me with plenty of places to help me practice and get better.

singlespeedstu

Trekster.

I think these two were taken near your first picture.

yeti guy – Member

Nice pics stu,

It was all done with smoke and mirrors by a fatbloke that knows how to photoshop. 😉

0range5

Kirroughtree is one of the best trail centres anywhere IMO, but Dalbeattie isn't half bad either. You get spoiled living near 7stanes trails!

proteus
    Free Member

If we in the west side could get the resources to create as much new trail as they appear to do in the east side then there might be a bit less forest road.
    oof! that chip on you shoulder must sting a little. what new trailbuilding has there been in the east (other than the holy GT)?

been a while since i've been dalbeattie had a couple of nice sections of trail and the slab. natural stuff was ok, but nothing to travel for.

kimbers

too much dull gravel firedroad imho

forge197
    Free Member

Dalbeattie does have a fair bit of Fireroad, but the section in between make up for that, there a a few bits closed off for forestry work which will give the impression of even more fireroad as it cuts out chunks of singletrack and as it stands doesn't do much for the flow of the trail. I'll be glad when that's done but appreaciate the forestry work is essential.

Compared to Kirroughtree it's a different beast. Each of the Stanes has a unique feel, but equally it's the case that sometimes it can take a couple of visits to "just get it" at least it did for me, some of the trails can be growers.

Give it another try once all the trails are open.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is ok and the technical features are good fun…I actually find Kirroughtree dull apart from that great descent once your past McMoab…each to there own I suppose.

scotabroad

Yeti-guy – you are trolling surely? Its one of my favourite stanes due to the mix of rolling woodland, quiet trails and granite boulders, and for my skill level its little techy bits are good fun.

wool

Ah the Scotish trail we dont talk about.

anotherstan
    Free Member

i was up there at the weekend, and thought dalbeattie was great, along with mabie. it also has to be said that (imo) kirroughtree is some of the best man made riding i have ever experienced, apart from the bit just after the black cragg (?) when i suffered a black eye and 2 skinned elbows 😳

…can't wait for the next trip 😛

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Dalbeatie ……Yawn !’ is closed to new replies.