Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dakine vs EVOC packs
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I have a Camelbak Hawg which is enormous and I use it for everything, most of the time it’s pretty much empty with a tube, multitool and cereal bar in it. I needed a big bag for commuting and couldn’t see the point in having 2 bags.

However having ridden a couple of times with no bag I can really see the advantage, I can’t really go bagless as my bike has no bottle cage bosses so was thinking of a tiny 3L bag for racing but it dawned on me that a small 6-8L pack would be enough for 99% of my rides and not that much bigger so I’m after something to hold multitool, tube, snacks, pump, minimal spares and ideally a jacket.

I’ve narrowed the options down to the Dakine Session 8L and the EVOC CC 6L: Cost is the same, slightly prefer the colour of the EVOC, but like the idea of the armour straps on the Dakine, whilst the shoulder and waist straps look comfier on the EVOC. Not bothered about bladders as I have a few Camelbak ones I can use.

Anyone have experience of either or ideally both? Or anything else I should be looking at?

miranmtb
    Free Member

Have Dakine Nomad, had Evoc CC 10L. Session and CC 6L are a bit different. Maybe try a bum bag / fanny pack.
    They are both very good, sturdy packs, but prefer the Dakine:
    * Nomad came with hydrapak bladder, replaced the mouthpiece with camelbak (much better).
    * The routing for hydration hose is a bit fiddly on evoc, the internal mash pocket gets in the way.
    * Nomad has a magnet to fix the hydration hose on shoulder strap.
    * Nomad has a separate compartment for hydration bladder.
    * Nomad is better organized, more pockets, armour straps.
    * Dakine has smoother zippers.
    * You have to unclip the front flap on Nomad to access the front pocket.
    * Evoc fits me a little better, has a bit better ventilation and is a bit more stable (longer, slimmer, smaller).

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve been using an EvoC 16l bag for a few years now. It’s a bit bigger than needed, but is really good quality with well thought out pockets / tool organiser. It always washes up well too.

Some of the zips are a bit stiff these days. It’s lasted better then my last Camelbak. When it dies, I’ll get another one.

onewheelgood

Worth looking at Osprey – I won one in a competition and it is so much better designed (and made) than anything I’ve used before.

kimbers

endura have a 16l with a back protector

they also doa 10L thatll accomodate a spine protector, tho doesnt come with one, mine will be arriving today, and ill put in my d30 protector

PrinceJohn

2nd the Osprey shout, have had one for a couple of years, lasting very well.

Even when it started leaking from the lid they sent a new one out next day foc.

jairaj

I have a 5 year old Dakine session that refuses to die. Looks used but everything is still in good nic, all the stitching is in place no fraying, all the internal mesh and pockets are still intact and zips are working fine.

The pack itself is nice and comfy in use, the internal dividers and pockets are sensibly laid out. And the helmet and padding carry straps work well.

I highly recommend it.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve had both. EVOC shape fits me better as they are slightly thinner/ longer. Both equally well made; fabrics tough but comfortable, both with good adjustability on straps and each have great organisational compartments. Ultimately hinges on what fits you best, if you can’t try on the go for the best price/ colour you like!

kayak23

Some of the zips are a bit stiff these days.

Rub a candle over your zips to keep them sweet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dakine vs EVOC packs’ is closed to new replies.