Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DAB radio in the car help please
  • Pigface
    Free Member

My latest car hasnt got a DAB fitted, are there any “bolt ons” via the Aux socket that you can get. I am thinking about when Ipods would transmit to the radio type things. I may be in moon on a stick territory here.

jam-bo

i’ve got a sonichi receiver that broadcasts via FM. works pretty well and was about £50 in a halfords sale.

Wozza
    Free Member

I tried this a few months back, I bought two of these:

Play.com linky

The signal was rubbish, it cut out under every bridge and then ultimately I had to hard reset it to tune back in again. They refunded me on both of them.

Interested to hear if anyone has a working solution without changing the head unit and/or the car antenna.

righog
    Free Member
    spacey

This is what you need

I have one, it works well if a bit fiddly,

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a car with built-in DAB. It’s rubbish. Signal is so shaky for most of the time that I don’t bother with it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

bookmarked for the links, ta.

Pigface
    Free Member

johndoh the one I had in a 13 plate Polo was brilliant, the only place it would go dark was two spots in the town, otherwise clear as a bell.

sadexpunk

i was in the same boat, went to dabonwheels.co.uk and bought a little clarity receiver and a magnetic aerial. they work perfectly and cost me around £75 all in if i remember correctly.
    you can try before you buy there too, they were excellent with me.

hora
    Free Member

I have a car with built-in DAB. It’s rubbish. Signal is so shaky for most of the time that I don’t bother with it.

What car/unit? Is it an aftermarket unit or OEM?

Worrying.

On the above Parrot-style add-on’s. They look quite amateurish(?) but also bloody expensive.

I was going to buy a DAB-enabled aftermarket stereo as my CD player has packed in anyway but I didn’t realise most sellers dont mention and it needs additional purchase of an external aerial ontop.

stumpy01

johndoh – Member

Sure it’s not faulty?
    My OH’s new (to her) 12 reg Ibiza had really bad radio reception (not DAB, just normal analogue).
    She took it back into the dealer, they plugged something in that basically diagnosed that the radio wasn’t getting any signal from the aerial – changed a few bits under warranty and it’s now working perfectly.

johndoh
    Free Member

What car/unit? Is it an aftermarket unit or OEM?

Factory fit (Audi A6)

Sure it’s not faulty?

Not sure but I put it down to not really getting a good DAB signal anywhere where we live (Harrogate) – gave up with DAB in the office as I couldn’t get a signal and at home the radio needs to be ‘just right’.

tthew

I’ve got one of the Halfords Sonichi ones in my van. Works pretty well even with the, (supplied) ariel mounted inside. The suction pad bracket is a pretty ugly and cheap affair though.

flyingmonkeycorps

I was looking at the addon jobbies, but in the end I just bit the bullet and fitted a new headunit and aerial – but my old headunit had no way of getting aux in, so it was a bit of a no brainer.

£75 for a Sonichi (cheers toys19!) and a few bob more for an aftermarket fascia and bob’s yer uncle. Came with an external aerial and reception has been faultless – even this morning when I couldn’t get any signal on the DAB in the kitchen.

Plus I can stick an SD card or USB stick in there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DAB radio in the car help please’ is closed to new replies.