Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • DAB Audio for the car
  • flyingmonkeycorps

So the Yaris passed it’s MOT, and I’m spending close to a couple of hours a day commuting by car (when I’m too lazy to ride, which is often). I’m after replacing the original stereo with something a bit more modern. I’d like DAB radio, and I’d also like USB / AUX in – Android integration would be a plus. CD and Bluetooth would be nice, but by no means essential. Budget under £100, preferably with an aerial.

A quick look on t’internet reveals a bewildering array of options from companies I know (Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Kenwood) and some that I don’t (Pure, Beat, Mutant, Sonichi, Clarity) around my budget. Anyone know what’s good? Are they all much of a muchness? Is there much difference between a £50 Clarity and a £100 Pioneer? I’m not too fussed about the best quality audio (it’s in a car!) but I do want something that’s nice to use and works like it should.

l0key
    Free Member

not at that price using std Yaris speakers much of a muchness

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I figured sound wise there’d be little difference, cheers.

sadexpunk

i got my dab sorted from dabonwheels

they were excellent and let you try before you buy.

kimbers

got one of these, no bluetooth, which wouldve been nice but other than that its been ace, excellent reception though I did have to fit a DAB aerial (got a cheapy own brand halfords magnetic roof one which i fitted myself- reasonably easy in my focus)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_918359_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

had great signal all over england/wales apart from bits of snowdonia

and best of all 6music, teamrock, recognises ipod and android etc

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers Toys19, that Sonichi sounds ideal – I like that it comes with a proper aerial and all the bits too. Bargain!

banks
    Free Member

Got a mutant something or other, SD card slot, aux, Bluetooth & USB. Unlimited data on me phone so just use that for Dab radio

toys19
    Free Member

I got halfords to fit mine, only to do the microphone and aerial, was 29.99. woulda done it myself but this is in my work car which is 600 miles from home, no tools, its dark and cold in scotland and I am lame.
    Halfords did a reasonable job. They fitted the mic on top of the steering column, which I am unconvinced about. They said it was the recommended place but I think it was laziness on the fitters part…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m amazed how they have come down in price – last time I looked you couldn’t get anything for under £500.
    Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_916757_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

flyingmonkeycorps

Reckon I’ll fit it myself, with it being a Yaris I’ll need a new fascia too. Mic looks like it’ll be the faffiest bit, but to be honest for the amount I’ll use it I just might not bother! Apparently it’s supposed to go close to head level.

Whereabouts did they put your aerial?

toys19
    Free Member

out the passenger door, under the seal, and straight onto the roof-magnetic innit.

flyingmonkeycorps

Sweet.

redstripe
    Free Member

I just put a JVC DAB head unit in my van, this one for £80 delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-KD-DB52-Car-CD-DAB-Digital-Radio-MP3-Player-USB-iPhone-Aerial-Refurbished-/350901849547?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51b3614dcb came with aerial, said refurbished but looked brand new to me, has remote and aux in plus USB for ipod etc. Easy to fit and sounds great, but I did also upgrade the crappy standard 4″ speakers to Vibe ones for £30, huge difference. Had to do it for 6 music and a lot less fiddly with wires everywhere I had previously with a pure highway plug in thing.

andrewh
    Free Member

As Rockhopper said above they were properly expensive last time I looked.
    I’ve got a mains 3-pin transformer which plugs into the 12V for charging my laptop (£30ish) and I just use the DAB radio out of the garage, plug it in and it sits on the passenger seat. No faffing with wiring anything in and can very easily be transferred between cars.

flyingmonkeycorps

What’s the aerial like with that JVC avontyrrell? Looks pretty decent.

jkomo

I got a pure highway ( recon) for £30. Have it on 6music permanently so keep it velcro’d under seat, plugged in to 12v socket and aux in.
    Bob on.

redstripe
    Free Member

It’s a big stick-on one with a long lead, I ran the lead around the window edge and wedged it in a map holder above my van window, didn’t stick it on screen in case I ever change van. Took a few minutes to set up and find and store DAB stations (RTFM etc) but reception fine where I am. Buttons a bit small for my fat fingers but very pleased with it overall.

hora
    Free Member

When I put radio6 on at work I’m literally almost lynched by the girls 🙁 so this looks a great idea as I need a new CD player too.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I should have said, there’s no point me getting an “addon” one ‘cos there’s no aux in on the Yaris stereo, I’ll need to replace the whole lot. Gone for the Sonichi in the end, seems to have everything I need and has a 12 month warranty despite being a refurb.

Will let y’all know how it goes…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘DAB Audio for the car’ is closed to new replies.