Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • devinci hectik with rp23??
  • djflexure

Seen the previous posts. Considering one of these as well priced at present. Will need to demo but comments appreciated. Anybody running the 2010 model?

kevin1911

That’s a brilliant price. I have an older Devinci DH bike and love it. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another of their bikes. At that price, an absolute bargain!

Rickos
    Free Member

Freeborns website is down. What price are they doing them for?

kevin1911

just over 1500 for the Hectic 1; 799 for the frame if I remember correctly

phil56

I’ve bought the Hectik 2 – quite stunning bike for the money.
    This is my first ‘big bike’, and I can’t get over just how usable it is for everyday trail riding. Stunning.

djflexure

Thanks. They do look like a good deal at present. Phil what made you go for the hectik. Did you try out any other frames at the time? Also what size did you end up with. I was thinking of a large – i’m 6ft.

djflexure

Any more? Also looking at the Rune and inevitably Mega.

phil56

I’m 6ft too, and the large is just right for me.
    I spent several months looking at all the usual suspects, new or second hand, but really it came down to how well the bike rides, the spec for the money and visual appeal.

I think most of the longer travel bikes I tried descend well (Orange, Ellesworth, Enduro etc) but for me the Hectik climbs better than them all, the back end really feels passive and I don’t even touch the pro pedal.

The spec is amazing – from the Fox 36 Talas forks to the DT Swiss 340 hubs, it really is a quality build.

I like how they look! Might be a low priority to some, but to me it has to look the part – oh, and a lifetme warrent on the frame – got to love that. I don’t think anything else comes even close for the money.

Where do you live? Come and ride it!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

at those prices its got to be a no-brainer, cheaper than the nukeproof mega?! If i hadnt recently bought an Alpine 160 on a similar cheaper-than-used deal I’d have got meself one. The H2 in particular is blinding spec for the cash (the H1 has basic kit given the frame and frame/fork deals they will do).

djflexure

Thanks again- I’m in Solihull Phil – any good?
    Did you go to Freeborn and try the Rune as well

phil56

I live les than 30 mins from Solihull, I’ll email you

bigben69
    Free Member

I just bought the Hectic 2 frame from freeborn last week for 799… also bought the fox36 talas for 550… built up and what a great bike!! Go for it.. freeborn is a great shop very friendly. life time guarantee on frame too..! Going to wales early july,.. yipee!!

mildred

I’m 5’11” I bought a large, which felt massive for me. When I received the frame I built the bare basics onto it so I could have a ‘sit n see’ for the size and it just felt awful to me. It was very long and put all my weight forward. It puzzled me a bit because according to their numbers it should’ve felt spot on (based on bikes I’ve had previously). I got the inclinometer out and measured the angles and found the seat tube to be 76.7 degrees with the head tube being 67. Coupled with a long top tube, I think this is why it felt wrong.

I sent it back and got a refund (less a 15% re-stocking fee – OUCH!!). I was quite miffed because they’re a frame I’ve always liked the look of. Unfortunately i live absolutely miles away from a dealer so couldn’t try before I buy. I’ll not make that mistake twice.

So moral of this story is to try one out first.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

how does restocking fee fit with distance selling regulations, you have a 7 day cooling off period?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Situationsthatcanchangeyourconsumerrights/DG_183048

wwaswas

If he’d fitted a headset,fork wheels and BB etc then I think he did well to get any sort of refund, tbh.

phil56

Strange that the large felt so off for you, I am only just 6ft, so it’s surprising – what size stem did you fit? DJflexure (posts above) is also 6ft and he came and had a ride on my bike last weekend, seemed OK for him as well – he was excited enough to be ordering one.
    Rode mine yesterday with Ed Oxley on a coaching day round Hebden Bridge – my first taste of proper steep rocky terrain (not much in Leicestershire!).
    The bike was brilliant, so much so the riders limits in terms of skill and bottle were cruelly exposed!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

fair point wwas, i was thinking more generally about restocking fees which are fairly common. I guess if they tell you about it before hand then theyd argue you are accepting their terms when you pay for the bike. We need consumer champion TJ to resolve it. 🙂

mildred

If he’d fitted a headset,fork wheels and BB etc then I think he did well to get any sort of refund, tbh.

It actually comes with the headset included and fitted (not at my request, but a bonus nonetheless).

Having said that, to a certain extent I agree with re-stocking fees; I bought the frame size on their recommendation, and because I couldn’t get to the shop to try for size I had to trust to their judgement. I don’t think it would have been so much of an issue if the geometry had matched up to the manufacturers specification, but the seat tube was so steep it forced me right over the front, on an already long bike. It felt like how Graham Obree must’ve felt on his superman bike! I have dodgy knees and I would have been in agony after 10 mins.

So yes, I fitted the bottom bracket and wheels to see if a bike would fit me then had to pay £120 + £20 courier fees for the pleasure. As I said, I agree with re-stocking fees to a certain extent but think in this case that the fees are too high, especially given that the angles simply do not match those advertised.

Other than a steep re-stocking fee I can’t actually criticise Freeborn – They didn’t build the frame, they just sell them, and Jim in particular was very patient and talked through the issues with me. Unfortunately, they couldn’t offer me what I wanted (I tried to pay the difference and exchange it for an Enduro – but they didn’t have a medium left), and getting another Elsworth was stretching the budget too much.

djflexure

Phil – glad you enjoyed your day with Ed. We have a nice time round Gisburn with good lunch at the Dog and Partridge. Looking forward to building up the Hectik.

bigben69
    Free Member

I`m 6-2 on a large and it feels great never had an issue with going over the front end..??
    Did you buy as a full bike?
    What forks did you have?
    Length of stem?
    Why didn`t you get a medium?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘devinci hectik with rp23??’ is closed to new replies.