Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cyclist killed just near my office – be careful out there
  • phutureproof
    Free Member

A woman in her 30s has just been knocked off her bike and killed by a cement lorry just down the road from where I work in Oxford. On my daily commute route.

Just be careful out there everyone.

ourmaninthenorth

How sad.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Very sad news. Whereabouts in Oxford?

Edit: Woodstock Road http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/9332485.UPDATE__Cyclist_dies_after_Woodstock_Road_crash/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dr_Bakes
    Free Member

I saw that too. On the Woodstock Road.

MarkN
    Free Member

Sad news.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Apparently the police are asking for witnesses, but the driver of the lorry has been arrested for dangerous driving. However, that may just be a default response.

Either way, it is horrible.

Macgyver

That’s terrible. Went through that junction on Monday night on my bike.
    I hope the usual tirade of anti cyclist jibes does not pollute the Oxford Mails comments page for a matter as serious as this.

donsimon
    Free Member

😥

BoardinBob

Never nice to hear, but didn’t I read something that there’s a disproportionate number of women killed by lorries as they’re not as aware of the dangers around lorries?

binners

BoardinBob – I’ve read that too about London cycling accident Statistics. Most of the deaths have been female riders on the inside of large vehicles – buses or lorries. God knows why?

Its a damn shame, whatever’s happened. There but for the grace of god….

MrsToast
    Free Member

Never nice to hear, but didn’t I read something that there’s a disproportionate number of women killed by lorries as they’re not as aware of the dangers around lorries?

The theory I heard was that women are less likely to ride aggressively and obey the rules of the road (not jumping red lights, etc) and are slower at setting off at junctions, so vehicles (especially lorries) tend to miss that they’re there and turn across them.

Very sad, does make you realise how vunerable cyclists are. Thoughts go out to her friends and family.:(

hora
    Free Member

On my commute close to my house I came across the aftermath of a cyclist who undertook bits of helmet everywhere and a large pool of blood. Seems it wasn’t cleaned up.

That’s one of the reasons why I stopped commuting on the bike.

RIP

Bunnyhop

There is a drive to educate women cyclists to the dangers of riding inside large vehicles, mainly lorries and buses.
    I was explaining to a newbie cycling neighbour to make sure she positions herself in a way that the drivers will be aware of her presence on the road.

Such sad news.

project
    Free Member

A lot of cement delivery vehicles,now have signs on the left hand side at the back advising cuclists not o pass on the inside.

Still very sad for the family and the driver though.

grtdkad

Why are we assuming the lady was at fault?

grtdkad

…no-one else concerned that a 74-yr old is driving anything like the size of a cement mixer?

Compulsory annual re-test for over 70s

druidh
    Free Member

grtdkad – Member
    …no-one else concerned that a 74-yr old is driving anything like the size of a cement mixer?

Compulsory annual re-test for over 70sWe did this already..

Accident statistics for the over 70’s show that they are safer than the under-21s. How about we raise the minimum diving license age to something more appropriate – say 25?

Very sad news about the cyclist though. Stats say the roads are getting safer and we can all help that my refusing to be bullied off the roads, thereby increasing the number of cyclists and overall driver awareness.

brakes
    Free Member

disproportionate amount of female cyclists killed by skip lorries, tipper trucks and cement trucks.
    I’d say it was a compound issue because those types of vehicle are often driven by dicks in a rush and for the reasons MrsToast gives above (although I see the same proportion of females RLJing – more about awareness if you ask me)

grtdkad

…and I’d bet my house that the 74-yr old driver involved today wishes he had hung up his keys last week rather than having a death on his conscience to the end of his days !

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

A woman in her 30s has just been knocked off her bike and killed by a cement lorry just down the road from where I work in Oxford. On my daily commute route.

It was my team that had to deal with this, including assisting the paramedics by giving CPR in the back of the ambulance. Shouldn’t say too much as it’s an ongoing investigation, suffice to say I believe the arrest to be very well justified-we don’t arrest as a matter of routine.

Today was a day of serious accidents, there were 4 in the space of a couple of hours, and I believe another one of those involved a cyclist who luckily this time survived.

A heads-up. The clocks go back this weekend. Every year at this time we have an operation clamping down on cyclists without lights (usually issued a ticket that is cancelled if a receipt for lights is issued). This year will be no exception.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

God knows why?

I often see women cyclists edging up on the inside of a lorry or big vehicle at traffic lights, but very gingerly and they don’t push in front of them, they stay to the side, right in their blind spot probably.

Either push through and then out in front of the lorry if sure the lights aren’t about to change, or stay behind.

they are not assertive enough

there is also a problem when the vehicle is occupying the cycle box, as often happens (with buses as well).

I have seen a d*ckhead policeman giving out fines to cyclists who have stopped in front of the cycle box, having crossed the junction line, but ignoring the lorry that had taken up 80% of the cycle box – said it was not an issue when we challenged him.

takisawa2

Poor lass. Condolences to her family.

el_boufador

+1 turnerguy

nich3000
    Free Member

I’m female. For years I used to ride to work (work at home now). I once went on the inside of a very big lorry at a red light. When the lights turned green, off we went. It was obviously the first the lorry-driver had seen of me and he beeped his horn, lots, as I set off. I felt very very stupid and I have never done it again 😳 Reading about the number of people killed in London over the last yr by lorries I realise now how extremely lucky, unaware and dumb I was. Unassertive? I dunno, but I definitely ride more aggressively (and sensibly) now. Lesson learnt. Perhaps some education needs to be aimed at cyclists not just lorry drivers.

Dancake
    Free Member

Terrible news.

i was overtaken by an Artic the other day. The vehicle came up behind me, moved to the inside lane of a roundabout, passed me and made me jump onto the kerb to avoid being caught by his trailer as he moved back off the roundabout.

British Plates, 5.45 AM. Bet the driver didnt have a clue.

samuri
    Free Member

How terribly sad. Why can’t we start mandatory cycling proficiency again? With up to date training on how to deal with modern hazards?

I’ve no idea who was to blame in this incident but by taking everyone, sticking them on a bike when they’re at school and making them understand hwo to deal with hazards on a bike and understand what it’s like to be a cyclist will guaranteed save lives.

Obviously there’s a recession on so thst’s not important.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

so sad, people become complacent about the tonnes of steel they are hurtling about the place and from our side just how vulnerable we are. +1 the comment on the darkness at this time of year, i know there are alot of coppers on here and if you see me on the pavement this time of year it because im scared not cos im a thoughtless ****. thoughts to the family 🙁

hora
    Free Member

A 74yr old holds a commercial driving licence?

Sorry that is blatantly wrong.

project
    Free Member

but has probably a lot more expereince than a 21 year old just passed his LCV test, and allowed legally on the road with little experience of driving.

The cememt mixer that fell on the train recently the driver had just qualified a few weeks before, but there was negligence by the local council to do with signage as well.

more details at raib.gov.uk

DezB
    Free Member

Very sad. Bit perturbed by the people who seem to be suggesting it was the woman’s fault in some way. The driver has been arrested for dangerous driving…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve no idea who was to blame in this incident but by taking everyone, sticking them on a bike when they’re at school and making them understand hwo to deal with hazards on a bike and understand what it’s like to be a cyclist will guaranteed save lives.

Obviously there’s a recession on so thst’s not important
    I think you’ll find all Local Authorities do offer Bikeability training in schools.
    Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Warrington (and no doubt other areas) also offer FREE adult cycle training too.

Sue_W
    Free Member

DezB +1

Not particularly impressed with the repeated assumption that because she was a female cyclist she was at fault – would there be the same reaction if it was a male cyclist?

Above all, it is a terrible, tragic loss of a young woman.

soobalias
    Free Member

RIP unknown rider

chatting last night and saying how oxford is so much safer to ride than my home town, due to the number of people out on bikes. Unfortunately this goes to show that its still dangerous.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bit perturbed by the people who seem to be suggesting it was the woman’s fault in some way.

cheap shot – in fact no one has suggested this – someone pointed out the statistics that show a higher rate of these types of incident with female riders, that’s all.

crazy-legs

Samuri wasn’t implying that the poor cyclist was at fault. His comment about mandatory cycle training is to do with the idea that ALL drivers should be made to ride a bike before they’re given a driving license so they can appreciate just how dangerous it can be out there on a bike.

Maybe it would help reduce the “I pay for the roads” nonsense and the continued perception of cyclists as second class citizens.

RIP, another tragic and needless death. 🙁

fourbanger
    Free Member

RIP. Bad news.

(usually issued a ticket that is cancelled if a receipt for lights is issued).

Bang on.

stumpyjon

Bad drivers / bad cyclists, not a lot will change until we take road safety from all angles seriously and that isn’t going to happen until some othe recent stupidity with road design is reversed (inappropriate speed reductions, traffic aclming etc.), a mssive increase in enforcement and much more draconian punishments for cyclists and other road users a like. As none of that is going to happen the carnage will continue, the best you can do make yourself aware.

On a related note I’ve in cardiff for a few days and the number of people riding bikes atrociously (I don’t class them as cyclists, no helmet, complete disregard for the rules, BSO) has rather shocked me. Loads of cyclists on the roads around where I live but I don’t see quite the same level of blatent stupidity, maybe inner city riding brings out the worst in people.

Condolences to the family of the lady killed, at least the police weem to be taking it seriously, lets hope every one esle involved does as well.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist killed just near my office – be careful out there’ is closed to new replies.