Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cyclist hit twice!
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

This link is from another forum I go to.

Luckily no one hurt but a rather saddening video of what is probably a very good indicator of the standard of driving in this country.

No sure what the cylclist could have done differently. Seemed to be good visibility – but this could have been a trick of the camera – with clear sight between the cars and cyclist.

project
    Free Member

Been done already.

flow
    Free Member

Been done 15 times already

Bregante

Ah but have you seen the one where the mountain biker gets hit by an antelope? 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Well you miss these things when you spend most of your time in the real world.

kaesae
    Free Member

If I was that cyclist I would have been able to see the car coming and move over to the left. He didn’t even swerve at all. But I think making him swerve was the whole point of what happend.

However I also find that kicking wing mirrors off! or damaging body work sends the, this aint gonna be cost free moron, message loud and clear!

Best if most people go about their business unmolested, hopefully it will not come to that, but if it does anything goes, after all it’s mental and well, dangerous out there!

DezB
    Free Member

If I was that cyclist I would have been able to see the car coming and move over to the left

I would’ve pressed my special eject button and flown into,the air, clear and safe to ride another day against the evil Car Drivers.

warton
    Free Member

BENTON…….BENTON…… JESUS CHRIST

Is it that one?

cookeaa

I’d not seen it before… Bloody hell!!

I really enjoyed that Dappy Woman’s total incredulity…

monkeyboyjc

The internet is filled with vids like this, and yes its shocking – but there is an equal number of vids of cyclists getting hit by cars where its the cyclists fault.

bruneep

BENTON…….BENTON…… JESUS CHRIST

Thinking that would make a good T shirt slogan

brakes
    Free Member

I would urge you to watch this video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QSiBVTtrS1w[/video]

kimbers

brakes who is that guy does he ride around waiting for people to cut him up?

brakes
    Free Member

I assume so. He’s a bit of a tool – looks like he provokes drivers so he can play his favourite game of ‘read out the numberplate’

skaifan
    Free Member

Does that guy send a list of registration numbers to the DVLA every week?
    Not using the cycle lanes when available, will often end up with you being squeezed, as the overtaking vehicle has to pull out close to oncoming traffic. It does look like a lot of these helmet camera folk go out looking for trouble, or putting themselves in harms way. These videos do as much to highlight bad cyclists as they do idiot drivers.

brooess
    Free Member

to be fair, you need to take your lane in London so you’ve got some space to go to other than the kerb when you get squeezed, which will happen.. It does feel a bit like open season on bikes here at the moment…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

skaifan some of those cycles lanes put you far to close to the kerb. Much better to ride out in the lane. sometimes he would have been better off riding further out even still IMO

radoggair
    Free Member

not a thread about this video again.

‘ forum readers waiting for cyclists to be killed before understanding that its NOT him in the wrong’ shocker

user-removed
    Free Member

Brakes – that dude must keep Air Zound Horns in business. There is a quite amazing amount of shonky driving going on in that vid though, no matter whether the guy is a t0sspot or not.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Interesting video

I like how that fat bitch is still squawking about ‘where were you?”

I did appreciate the chap who caused the accident stopping and making it clear he was in the wrong.

Cycling on our roads is precarious.

Can I assume we have the right to ask for insurance details in an accident where a driver is in the wrong? Like a lot of you, I spent a few k on bikes.

The roads freak me out. Drivers freak me out.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

That last bit in the above clip would have had me contacting the cab company and licenceing people about him.
    A lot of that is just bad driving that happens regardless of what your doing. It does make me very glad that my commute is on quite roads with little traffic now.

zilog6128

You do realise that the cyclist deliberately either booted or punched the guy’s cab, which is why the driver stopped and got out? That kind of incendiary behaviour can only be bad for his health in the long run.

skaifan
    Free Member

some of those cycles lanes put you far to close to the kerb. Much better to ride out in the lane. sometimes he would have been better off riding further out even still IMO

They also keep you out of the flow of traffic allowing unimpeded travel by both motorists and cyclists. If used properly, they serve to reduce conflict between road users. In a city like London, there is often so much that you need to keep an eye on, that by riding outside of the cycle lane you become another hazard for motorists to watch, regardless of how aware of defensive you are. Occasionally you will get the idiot motorist who drives or parks in the cycle lane, but conversely, you also get the odd idiot cyclist who impedes the flow of traffic to the annoyance of impatient motorists, as they don’t want ride too close to the kerb.

D0NK

but there is an equal number of vids of cyclists getting hit by cars where its the cyclists fault.

bet there isnt.

Some bike lanes are stupid and using them is more dangerous than staying in the traffic even with “impatient motorists”

warton
    Free Member

brakes, that guy is an idiot. that last clip of the taxi driver just shows what an wind up merchant he is. 65% of that video, i struggle to find fault with the drivers, and I commute every day. cyclists like him, so confrontational do the rest of us no favours at all.

Regarding cycles lanes. In belgium if a cyclist isn’t using them the police will stop you and tell you to use them, granted their cycle infrastructure is far greater than ours, but it annoys me when I see very good cycle lanes in the UK, and cyclists ignoring them.

EDIT: I understand that many UK cycle lanes are totally unfit for purpose

D0NK

EDIT: I understand that many UK cycle lanes are totally unfit for purpose

thing is most people (and that includes plenty of cyclists) wouldn’t know a good cycle lane from a bad one but the “cyclists must use cycle lanes” attitudes pervades everywhere, I’d prefer it if everyone layed off that one for a while, atleast until we actually had a decent cycling network

warton
    Free Member

at least until we actually had a decent cycling network

I’m not holding my breath!

richmtb

Being cut up at roundabouts and junctions is bad driving, but if i got that upset everytime someone came a little bit close the stress would have killed me by now.

For sure there is a lot of bad driving out there but as the video proves there seems to be at least one obnoxious cyclist too.

zilog6128

These videos do as much to highlight bad cyclists as they do idiot drivers.

If you check out his other youtube videos, he has a lot called ‘silly cyclists’ where he films (and gives a running commentary of!) bad cyclists. There are a lot of accidents out there waiting to happen, and judging by these videos, some of them will be partially or wholly the fault of the cyclists.

joao3v16
    Free Member

there is an equal number of vids of cyclists getting hit by cars where its the cyclists fault

Shhhh, quiet.

There are many many self-righteous cyclists who’d rather we didn’t know this. It adds too much of a ‘reality’ element to their ‘motorists are all evil’ propaganda.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

skaifan

A cycle lane that is a bit of painted tarmac a foot wide is worse than useless – see the other thread but you should be at least 60 cm from the kerb and IMO in the middle of the lane – remember in towns the bike is quicker – it does not hold up car drivers at all. You do not hold up traffic – you are traffic.

Some discussion here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/01/cyclist-take-the-lane

that by riding outside of the cycle lane you become another hazard for motorists to watch,

Yup – so you are safer than if you are hugging the kerb where you can be ignored

the highway code says 60 cm from the kerb – some of those cycle lances are less than 60 cm wide

skaifan
    Free Member

TJ

We may be faster in a town if you take an average speed, but city centre car driving is very stop start, cycling is a lot less so. So by using the cycle lanes where available and unobstructed would allow us free flowing cycling, with a reduced risk of rear ending a car or obstructing someones acceleration phase. It doesn’t matter if it means they get to the next red light, traffic jam before you fly back past them or not, it means that you are out of each others way.
    Sure, some cycle lanes are next to useless, but in the above video I originally referred to, the rider was ignoring a perfectly good one across vauxhall bridge (?). In fact, he was overtaken by another cyclist in the cycle lane, who appeared to be making decent progress.
    There is a time and a place for hogging the centre of the road, such as approaching blind bends or turning right into a minor road etc, but in the Vauxhall Bridge incident, the guy didn’t have obvious cause to do so, which could easily be seen as antagonistic by some.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We agree to disagree

The primary position ie the centre of the lane should be the default. did you read the discussion in the link?

I would have been riding further out from the kerb in places and would go no where near the cycle lane on the bridge – lethal one to ride in as it encourages cars to overtake when there is no room to do so safely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Chief inspector Ian Vincent, Cycle Task Force, said:

“There is no specific Metropolitan police service guidance on cycle safety. We refer cyclists to the Highway Code and Transport for London’s (TfL) cycling safely page, which recommends cyclists ride assertively, away from the gutter. If the road is too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it may be better to ride in the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking.”

Be in the right place

* Ride assertively, away from the gutter. If the road’s too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it may be safer to ride in the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking
    * Ride in a straight line past parked cars, rather than dodge between them, and allow at least a full door’s width between you in case a car door opens suddenly

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14798.aspx

skaifan
    Free Member

I did, but it seemed to be a one sided blog post, rather than an unbiased discussion, so I have chosen to form my own opinions based on my own experience as a car driver, cyclist, ex londoner etc.
    As I stated earlier in the incident I commented on, I could not see any reason for him to be in the middle of the road. The cycle lane was clear and perfectly usable.
    I do understand that you need to be assertive in traffic, and sometimes the best option is to “take the lane”, but surely the better option is to stay of harms way when there is the opportunity. I did once witness a lady getting hit by a lorry on waterloo road. She got squashed between a metal barrier and the truck as they both turned left. If she had taken the lane, she may well still be around, but this does not make it correct to do this everywhere. If there was a cycle traffic system in place, she may not even have had to attempt to share the space with the lorry.
    I have recently come back from Amsterdam, where there are 2 separate traffic systems operating in harmony. It requires a lot of cooperation from motorists for it to work, as well as a bespoke road system built from the ground up. In this country it wouldn’t work but some amount of compromise would go a long way.
    In short, I agree to disagree with TJ on this.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist hit twice!’ is closed to new replies.