Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cycling with osteoporosis
  • cinnamon_girl

Real world experience anyone?

Thanks. 🙂

knightsolaire
    Free Member

Don’t fall off.

njee20
    Free Member

Fairly common in cyclists, depends on severity, but ^^ that’s about the sum of it for most!

A friend had it fairly seriously, he chose to ride more on the road and what not, to avoid crashing, but it didn’t directly impact his riding.

wwaswas

I broke my hip at 35 falling off a bike and was subsequently diagnosed with osteopenia (osteoporosis for the under 40’s).

Assuming you’re looking to build up bone density what worked for me was doing more impact exercise (basically running 2 or 3 times a week and walking more) and taking some calcium supplements. There are more ‘pill based’ solutions available – talk to an endocrinologist to get your blood etc checked.

I managed to get down from the bone density of a 75 year old man to a 40 year old in about 18 months.

In the meantime I was just careful on the bike to try and avoid any repeat bone breakage.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mrs Rider has osteopenia, migratory osteolytis, tried miacalcin, then fosamax (sp?) and it helped strengthen bones but still too many recent fractures, lately collarbone, means no two wheeled cycling of any type. We’re off to try a KMX offroad recumbent trike next week, awesoooome!!! Not being a big cyclist this is not a traumatic decision, if it was me – I’d be triking also.

wwaswas well done, that’s amazing and encouraging, what’s the secret?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cycling with osteoporosis’ is closed to new replies.