Did you know this about Council Tax?

Home Forum Chat Forum Did you know this about Council Tax?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Did you know this about Council Tax?
  • Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

wrote:

my council tax learning curve for this year was – finding out you pay 12 months over 10.
    its the first time i have ever lived in a house for longer than 6 months within the aberdeen city region.
    fwiw – aberdeen allows 3 months grace if you have zero furniture and the house is in an inhabitible state – but they are very explict on the no furniture bit and even mention that if thye visit and theres so much as a chest of drawers then you will get your CT backdated….. no one ever looked

Reported to the cooncil

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Rich wrote:

FFS, this is just getting argumentative for the sake of it.

Not been here long?

(seriously I recommend re-reading the thread with a bit of detachment and working out what it is in your posts which is encouraging other people to write theirs 😉 )

cynic-al

Not asking for sympathy LOL.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Rich wrote:

Short sighted in the way that I’ve always been happy with my LA, never kicked off when bins were on strike, never kicked off when streets weren’t gritted etc. Just let it go and guessed they had bigger issues to deal with. I’m a pretty easy going chap, don’t have a family to look after and therefore I probably use less services. Basically I’m a low maintenance council tax payer.
    Now they’re clearly trying to squeeze every penny out of me without giving two sheets of piss about my circumstances, I’ll be inclined to do the same from the service I’m paying for now and offer bugger all sympathy.
    That’s short sighted.

Going to write some rude letters to the local paper now then?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Sorry for having an opinion.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

cynic-al – Member

Not asking for sympathy LOL.

Any lawyer that says LOL is worth hiring.

divenwob

The good thing about this sort of forum is the you get a variety of feedback which you can the choose to follow or not,can anyone tell me how to copy and paste on here?

warton

You pay tax per property, not per person. Yeah the rules have changed, probably because the government is stiffing the LAs for every penny they can and the LAs need to generate more money to keep the libraries open, provide care for the elderly, help kids under the poverty line eat a hot dinner at school for free etc etc etc.

PJM1974

Central government cuts funds to local government. Local government is under the cosh of a council tax freeze…so local government has to pass on the cost somewhere.

cynic-al

Best thread for a while.

you can always sell the second property if it smarts so much?

He doesn’t own a second property though…… So I’m pretty sure that would be illegal.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

It does seem a bit sad that someone restoring a house to habitable condition, especially for use as their own primary residence, is having to pay the full amount of council tax. I would have thought the council would be encouraging folk to help increase and improve the housing stock.

mudshark

How can it be decided if a house is in habitable condition? I agree that this situation seems harsh but 2nd homes should pay full CT even if not lived in or the 1st home is rented. We need explicit rules, never right to leave things to opinion as that leads to people being treated differently.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

The good thing about this sort of forum is the you get a variety of feedback which you can the choose to follow or not

Yep.

You need to be pretty thick skinned posting as not every one is going to side with you….

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

I agree with mudshark. It is a little unfair on the OP but if there was any kind of loophole then the developers would exploit it. In reality its only a few hundred quid which is a chunk of money but a pretty small amount when it comes to buying and doing up a house.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

FFS, this is just getting argumentative for the sake of it. I’m not talking about 500 homes, I’m talking about 1.

And if 500 people do the same thing, we have a problem, so quite rightly the council is using a penalty to discourage it. Good on them.

Premier Icon eddie11
    Subscriber

CT is a charge on a property to contribute to the public services in your area. It’s paid by the owner or occupier of a property. OP owns or occupies 2 properties so pays twice. Its another cost to factor in. It’s expensive yes. But it’s not unfair.

cynic-al

scotroutes – Member
    It does seem a bit sad that someone restoring a house to habitable condition, especially for use as their own primary residence, is having to pay the full amount of council tax.

On the flip side, having to pay CT discourages folk from owning uninhabited properties, which is a good thing given the shortage of housing stock.

divenwob

When does “not how I want it” become uninhabitable? Most bathroom/kitchen fitters would struggle to survive if they insisted the customer leave the building for the duration of the works due to it being uninhabitable.

ebygomm

My local council consulted on the changes and the vast majority of people voted to remove all exemptions apart from single person discount. Rarely seen so many people in agreement with a council proposal.

julianwilson

Perhaps they should do an uninhabited property discount based on what they don’t do for you if there is no one living there (bins, social care, errrr) and what they still do (street sweeping/lighting, local road maintenance, monitoring residents parking if applicable) or could do if you really needed them (pest control, and i forget whether fire and polis are LA funded in any way).

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Fine then! I’ll just suck it up.

*scuttles back under pile of plaster & lats*

julianwilson

Forgot to mention earlier OP, but you are going to keep the bar aren’t you? 😀 my 80’s rockin next door neighbours had one with labatts beer towels and all sorts. It was ace!

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Councils are struggling for money so using every loophole they can. I suppose you are lucky they don’t try and surcharge you eg 150% as property is unoccupied. They are removing/reducing most discounts. I pay nearly £2,000 for a two bedroomed flat in Hampshire.

@cynical_al having to pay CT on an unoccupied property wouldn’t make any difference to my thought process, I suppose that means its reasonable to charge it 😥 I do think that by removing the discounts the councils are encouraging fraud as youl’l see an increase in properties declared single person occupied.

@mudshark second homes used to get a discount (50%) as logic was they where not using services like education, hospitals, refuse collection and the owners where paying full ct elsewhere. However in current situation of councils needing revenue it’s reasonable to charge full price.

sharkbait

OP: The LA have had the power to do this in Wales for a number of years. As the owner of a second home (inherited not bought myself) this a shame but frankly it’s fair enough.
    Although we’re only there 20% of the year we still want street lights, waste collections, policing, etc.

tpbiker

Difficult one, in which you would hopefully think the council would have some kind of qualifier in place to stop this happening, ie you get a 3 month grace period from buying if you can prove you are paying on a second residence

So going against the grain on this one, I’m with the OP.

divenwob

How much would it cost to implement a scheme? To check and verify who is/isn’t telling porkies? How many admin? Who pays for the scheme? Whats to stop everyone jumping on the 3 months free? Would it cost less than £80 per applicant per month?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Did you know this about Council Tax?’ is closed to new replies.