Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Cycling the Wessex Way was the hardest ride I have ever done.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Brill, cheers for that!
    Now to plan my life around it!

No problem. You only need 2 days 😉

DrP

Indeed!
    But will need to train up to it, which is the hardest part….then just find a weekend and commit!
    125m per day will be über tough, but hey ho!

DrP

VanHalen

125m per day! madness. attempting the SDW tomorrow but looking at this with interest.

DrP

attempting the SDW tomorrow

Enjoy it – it’s a really rewarding ride 🙂
    It’ll be HOT HOT HOT though!

DrP

flanagaj
    Free Member

There are water taps along the route to save you having to drop off into the nearby villages

Water taps on the South Downs Way

Duffer
    Free Member

Is that a 4-day thrash? Or an enjoyable pace? I fancy a long-distance, short period, challenge-myself, charity fund-raiser thing.

A thought once awakened, doth not slumber…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

thank you

flanagaj
    Free Member

Is that a 4-day thrash? Or an enjoyable pace?

I think that even doing it in 4 days will be a bit of a thrash. The gradients of the climbs are hard going and it is a very up and down route.

It all depends upon your ability. I suspect there are some forum members who would easily do the ride in 2 days.

Don’t let me deter you though as I would recommend it

yomstar
    Free Member

Thanks Flanagaj

I saw this post a couple of weeks ago and with a week off coming up I thought I would give it a go.

I did this in four and a half days but on hind sight I think it could easily have done it just four and at a push three however I wanted to give myself time as I have never attempted a multi day ride like this before.

I did this route in reverse simple because I was already in London the week before and I was to meet my sister in Bristol the weekend after, so short train rides either end made sense to me. To be honest I am glad I did it that way round as the South Downs Way were brutal and I got to attack them hills with fresh(ish) legs. That’s not to say Mendips/Pewsley vale or any of the other hills were not as tough but SDW the hills just kept coming.

For this trip I packed lightly and stayed in B&Bs, I was very glad about that, nice hot showers, comfy bed each night and an awesome breakfast every morning. However I totally see the appeal of bike packing it, the stress of getting to a certain location on time would then be removed. Also starting and stopping when you feel like it must be so empowering.

Anyway, thanks again Flanagaj. That was a fantastic holiday and hopefully the first of many.

Duffer
    Free Member

[Thread resurrection]

DrP – did you ever get round to trying this one out?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycling the Wessex Way was the hardest ride I have ever done.’ is closed to new replies.