Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Snapped Chain
  • simmy
    Free Member

Got a small twig caught in the chainrings earlier on the middle ring and stupidly rather than get off and remove it decided to shift upto big ring.

Yep chain snapped, first time I’ve had it happen. Its a SRAM 951 with powerlink.

I just wanted to get home so I didn’t even check the chain out proper just put another powerlink in and got moving again.

Just had a look now and it was the powerlink that snapped ( I’ve put a bit of felt tip on the powerlink so I know I’m not counting it twice when spinning the cranks ) are these weaker than the rest of the chain or is it just coincidence ?

I’ve read about SRAM chains not being brilliant, but this is the first bit of trouble I’ve had in a couple of years of using them.

Suggsey
    Free Member

The power link itself is normally he strongest link. Just check for any twisted section either side of the break as this will lead to all sorts of gear issues and further snappages!
    I use SRAM 951 and they in general are fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve read about SRAM chains not being brilliant, but this is the first bit of trouble I’ve had in a couple of years of using them.

People seem to whinge about them a lot but never had any real issues that were not really due to something else (stupid cranking, bad setup, shit happening etc.)

Been using them for years with no issues.

njee20
    Free Member

The power link itself is normally he strongest link.

I disagree, I’ve broken 4 or 5, which considering they make up less than 1% of a chain, isn’t good odds. Not enough to stop me using them, but IMO they are marginally weaker than a normal link.

damascus
    Free Member

How old is the powerlink? Did you re use it from a previous chain.?

simmy
    Free Member

Got the link with the chain, it’s been on a few months with a few hundred mile covered.

Northwind

People often say the powerlink is the strongest part but I don’t buy that at all, most of the time if I break a chain it’s at the link, and considering that about 98% of the chain isn’t powerlinks, that’s a bit suggestive!

stumpy01

Mate of mine broke his SRAM chain across the powerlink a while back.

I tried a SRAM chain once, but it wore really quickly. I now use KMC.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Chain’ is closed to new replies.