Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cycling on pavement carrying a child?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Can I cycle on the pavement if I am carrying a child? Can't seam to find any reference to this in the highway code.

richc
    Free Member

depends on if you are a immigrant or a daily mail reader, I think.

wwaswas

being pregnant doesn't change the rules.

No bikes on the pavements is the rules…

trailmonkey

No bikes on the pavements is the rules…

Err, no it's not. Children are not breaking the law by cycling on the pavement.

wwaswas

"The object of Section 72 Highways Act 1835 was intended not to protect all footpaths, but only footpaths or causeways by the side of a road, and that this is still the case has been ruled in the high court. The legislation makes no exceptions for small wheeled or children's cycles, so even a child riding on a footway is breaking the law. However, if they are under the age of criminal responsibility they cannot, of course, face prosecution."
    linky.
    so it's illegal, they just can't be done for it…

and I'd assumed the OP was over the age of criminal responsibility.

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are if the bike is larger than a certain size IIRC.

Earl
    Free Member

Sorry if Im not being clear wwaswas, I do mean carrying a child on a child seat.

wwaswas

sorry, I did realise, I just chose to misinterperet.

The answer's no – it's against the law. Whether you'd be prosecuted just for doign I don't know but if you had an accident (hit by a car reversing out of a drive, for example) you'd be on shakey ground.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nice find wwaswas. I was sure that there used to be some kind of rule where if the cycle was under a certain height ie childs bike then it was legal to ride on the pavement.

wwaswas

google's a wonderful tool if you phrase the question right 🙂 (and a pain if you don't)

enfht
    Free Member

Yes it's fine. I also found that sellotaping a doll to my handlbars is particularly effective in fooling pedestrians who leap out of the way at the last minute. Worth a try.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can I cycle on the pavement if I am carrying a child?

Technically no. Realistically yes, as long as you aren't being a nuisance to pedestrians.

Although wwaswas' point about accidents is worth bearing in mind.

tinribz
    Free Member

This reminds me of some chav I passed the other day on a muddy fox with a 2 year old tucked under one arm and a carrier bag in the other, nearly coming off riding round a pedestrian along the footpath. That had to be illegal.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have wondered this for a while. I am happy enough risking my own neck whilst riding on the roads. But when riding with my daughter on the back i do tend to use paths where possible. Obviously with the sole intention of pedestrians having full right of way to me.

Often wondered if a copper could tell me off for it.

Also, even though its not a problem now but when my little lad rides with me he rides on the road. In the past i have always made him ride on the paths whilst i was on the road. Where do you stand with that? He rides on the road with me now but his sister will be starting again and i will be damned if i am making a 2yr old with stabilisers ride on the road 😉

woodey
    Free Member

My kids safety comes a long way before worrying about whether the law allows it, simples.

miketually
    Free Member

There's nothing in the law about wheel sizes or bike sizes of number of wheels or anything.

However, as stated above, the advice to the police and PCSOs is to only issue a fixed penalty notice if the bike rider is riding irresponsibly.

People get very worked up about bikes on pavements. 0.3 people a year are killed by bikes on pavements.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find car drivers are much better and nicer when you have a child on the back or a trailer.

It is like they dont want to kill a child and it makes them drive better….perhaps I shpould always attach it.

Never been beeped at or sworn just lots of smiles though.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I just seen two cops riding alone the pavement like bloody chips!!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, it's totally acceptable

ChromedOranges
    Free Member

Well, whatever the law actually says as far as I'm concerned riding on the pavement is fine with a child. Even bike hating daily mail readers will forgive you with a child on the back seeing you as 'responsible' with, vs. 'scum' without.

The cops never take any notice either round here. Mind you, best to ride a joggers pace and not weave about. If a plod did have a beef it'd be a simple enough conversation and a promise not to do it again….

mattsccm
    Free Member

No and the suggestion that having a child in tow removes the need to obey the laws is plain selfish. Take them some where else. why should a child change things. I just can't accept people who feel that they should customise laws to suit their own desires.
    I assume that those who disagree with me have no objections to me carrying my shotgun loaded on cycle tracks. After all I am a smaller risk to others.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    I find car drivers are much better and nicer when you have a child on the back or a trailer.

It is like they dont want to kill a child and it makes them drive better….perhaps I shpould always attach it.

Never been beeped at or sworn just lots of smiles though.

This is my experiance too.
    You even get pedestrians saying hello and smiling.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Its all down to enforcement of the law and there is a standing order (somewhere on the web…) from the head of the police that fines for cycling on the pavement should only be applied for dangerous behavior, not because some one is avoiding a busy road or junction. I know in theory the maximum fine is £2000 and this decree was made when this came in to force as there was a bit of disent about it.

SSP

Earl
    Free Member

Was told off by a couple of counity support officers for cycling on the pavement with my 9month old in a weeride. We were both wearing helmets, I rang the bell as they were walking towards us. Pavement was very quiet, road was heaving with rushhour traffic. I can only hope for understanding next time

miketually
    Free Member

mattsccm, are you trying to say that a bike on the pavement is more dangerous than a loaded gun?

An average of 0.3 people are killed by bikes on pavements each year in the UK. The two most recent were killed by an bike thief with learning difficulties and by a guy who hopped off the road to bypass a red light (he maintains that he was avoiding a car). As far as I know, no one has ever been killed by a child on a bike, or by a dad with a baby on the back.

druidh
    Free Member

Actually, I sort of agree with mattsccm – I don't think we should just be able to pick and choose which laws we obey.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

slightly different take – I don't believe having a child with you entitles you to anything different. Sorry. certainly when it comes to obeying road law.

I do pick and chose some laws – mainly road laws as I decide what is safest for me. However my life is at least as precious as any childs – so only cycle on the pavement wit the child if you would on your own.

miketually
    Free Member

Actually, I sort of agree with mattsccm – I don't think we should just be able to pick and choose which laws we obey.

The law was actually written to prevent carriages driving on the pavement (and so it should have been, 40 people a year are killed by "horseless carriages" on pavements) and was written, IIRC, before the invention of the bicycle.

The law makers, and those charged with upholding the law, have said that riding responsibly on the pavement is not considered an offence, though they have not gone so far as to actually take the offence off the statute books. (Just as laws relating to killing Scots within York city walls after dark with a bow and arrow, or practicing archery on a Sunday, or not eating mince pies on Boxing Day are still on the statute books.)

so only cycle on the pavement wit the child if you would on your own

Okay 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – but we have lots of "old" laws. That doesn't mean we can just decide which are appropriate.

TJ – let's say I drive to a party in Paisley. I have a few drinks. I then decide to drive home because I reckon that's safer than walking the streets. Is that OK?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

let's say I drive to a party in Paisley. I have a few drinks. I then decide to drive home because I reckon that's safer than walking the streets. Is that OK?

Yes.

miketually
    Free Member

That doesn't mean we can just decide which are appropriate.

Will you be at the churchyard tomorrow to pracice your archery then?

Earl
    Free Member

I ride on the foot path with a child because I know I have less options in situations. If a car pulls out infront of me I cant just jump off the bike or put in a hard swerve as I can on my own.

Also I'm usually riding at a reduced pace and drivers get awful grumpy when you increase their oveall journey time by 10sec.

avdave2

If you drive to a party in Paisley what are the chances that your car will still be their when you leave. 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think you'll find you CAN pick and choose which laws to obey. Especially if its going to mean your child is considerably safer. Common sense applies here, not blindly following the letter of the law.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cycling on pavement carrying a child?’ is closed to new replies.