Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycle shorts issue
  • B_Leach
    Free Member

Recently bought a cheapo pair from decathlon as i was a bit sick of getting a numb arse whilst commuting (as i'd heard padded shorts could alleviate this)

While it has made my backside considerably comfier (and had the added benefit of keeping things down there a little warmer!) i've found i have an issue; they don't quite "cup" the family jewels, making things uncomfortable (i usually wear pretty tight H&M boxers and don't get along with things being "free and easy")

Now is this a case of "you gets what you pay for" and i need to get some higher quality cycle shorts that have a bit more panelling/shape to them, or is it something i'm just going to have to live with?

Cheers STW collective!
    (hmm alternatively i could just wear my kegs under my shorts…)

retro83
    Free Member

wear some of these underneath:

job done

pedalhead
    Free Member

Getting a decent (expensive, sadly) pair of riding shorts made more difference than anything else to my comfort on the bike, particularly for long rides. It's all about fit though…might take some trial & error to find one that works for you.

Android
    Free Member

Gaffer tape them to your leg, you'll be fine 🙂

Maybe you need to drop a size to keep it all together.

Never tried Decatlon shorts so couldnt say. I have some DHB ones and dont have the problem, but maybe my jewels are smaller than yours.

When it gets a bit colder, everything disapears anyway so the problem should aleviate its self over the winter at least.

hp_source

You will find some differences in the shape/size of the 'nappy' bit in the shorts, I have some decathlon ones and a few pairs of others, I tend to use the decathlon ones for shorter rides/trail centres as they're not as 'restrictive' :cough: and the others, endura and pearl izumi are better for full days in the saddle as the fit is better.

Did the Decathlon shorts help with the numbness? If not it may be worth trying a different saddle instead, one with a bit more pressure relief.

B_Leach
    Free Member

Retro83, i was expecting somebody to drop something like that, but not so quick, BRAVO!
    Yeah the shorts have definately sorted out the numbness issues, so i'll definately be using them for the forseeable future.
    I'll definately look into some pearl izumi and endura shorts. Thing is i'd toyed with the idea of buying some pearl ones a while back from my LBS but balked a little because of the cost (still paying off the student overdraft and JUST breaking even supporting me and the Gf) ta guys!

ex-pat
    Free Member

Lycra – keeps it all tucked up out the way, see…

Interesting that as a team they all have different shaped helmets don't you think.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and don't get along with things being "free and easy")

so you're uncomfortable being naked ? How odd!

and i need to get some higher quality cycle shorts that have a bit more panelling/shape to them

unless that padding fits your shape, it might actually be worse ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycle shorts issue’ is closed to new replies.