Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • CYB beast on a rigid; will i die?
  • robob
    Free Member

going on my jolly hols to dolgellau and due to having a small sprog who loves the bike seat i'm taking the rigid bike, but was hoping to nip over to cyb. i have ridden the beast a few times but can't remember if it will kill me or not if i'm on a rigid bike, the first 100yds are v.rocky but after that it's not so bad… is it?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

It'll be fine – yes the first bit will be the worst

My mate borrowed my hardtail with RC31 forks and he was fine apart some slightly sore hands at the end

loddrik
    Free Member

Unless you are trying to prove a point I cannot see why you'd want to…. 😕

KonaTC

Depends on your skill level

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

As jamesgarbett says – the first bit is the worst, the rest will be fine.

robob
    Free Member

loddrik, to be fair i don't want to but i need to take the bike that i can fit the kiddie seat on, and that is a rigid bike.

kona tc, massive.

😉

loddrik
    Free Member

To be honest I haven't been for over a year but the first section has been smoothed out a bit. Cyb is one of the rockier centres but a lot of it seems to be being sanitised a little. There are a couple of sections where you'll wish you were on a sus and you'll be a good bit slower but it's all rideable on a rigid. My advice would be to try and get some 2.4ish Tyres and run em at slightly lower pressures and that will take the sting out a bit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mate enjoys riding a carbon forked Zion around The Beast – he's not really a downhill guy, really more into saddle-up climbing. He says it's fun just slower going down and more taxing.

sofatester
    Free Member

will i die?

One day, yes.

CYB beast on a rigid

You mean riding round a man made track on a bike that doesn't happen to have suspension? You'll be fine, probably be faster than some on here who ride 160mm trailcore bikes. Plus, with about 43.654%* less faffing in the car park before and after the ride.

*Yes, i have timed the Audi and BMW drivers in the car park before now**

**No, not really it was a wild guess but feel free to add you own made up statistics. This is STW after all!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Not a problem. switched to a 17 on the back though

singlespeedstu

You'll be fine.
    I've riden round there with a couple of girls on cross bikes that managed to pass quite a few full suss riders.

Keef
    Free Member

done it loads of times SS/rigid,great fun.
    loddrick- because it makes it more fun than doing it on a 'feather bed skillz compensator'

😉

brakes
    Free Member

I've ridden round there on a penny farthing with a caravan attached to the back filled with hippos
    really fat hippos with lead in their pockets

singlespeedstu

Come on now bakes. We all know you're lying there.

Hippos don't have pockets. 🙄

Houns

I first rode the Karimoor back in the day on a rigid, i've never ridden a bike round CYB quicker since

Keef
    Free Member

Ah,Stu,you're wrong,they clearly had Hippo trousers (pocketed) on !

singlespeedstu
    Keef
    Free Member

possibly,but you know,I'm not sure if I believe bakes after all.
    There's a few bits of the trail where you'd struggle with the width of the caravan.

robob
    Free Member

i can take the caravan around?? in which case i can take the full suss anyway and leave el sprog in the van while i tow it… solved!

cheers peeps!

singlespeedstu

The postie managed to tow his small caravan round on a rigid singlespeed.

loddrik
    Free Member

Stu, what trail did you ride? I am picking a trailer up this week and having never used one before I am keen to know more about where you can use them?

singlespeedstu

It's not me in the picture it's Postie Rich.

I think he takes it most places though.

Houns

Oooh thats his best side

bakes – Member
    I've ridden round there on a penny farthing with a caravan attached to the back filled with hippos
    really fat hippos with lead in their pockets

I've ridden to the stars on acid in a caravan full of hippies – does that count?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘CYB beast on a rigid; will i die?’ is closed to new replies.