Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • CX Racers – your kit advice please.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Really enjoying my CX bike at the minute. Completely reinvigorated my love of cycling. So, I’ve decided to enter some CX races with a view to enter some of the bigger events next winter (peaks maybe). At the minute I’m just riding with my very old road cycling gear which has been fine for the local trails, tow paths I’ve been riding but wanted to know what essentials I should be looking to buy for racing. What shoe/pedal combos should I be looking at?

tomd
    Free Member

Decent set of mtb spd shoes that can take toe studs is all you’ll need shoe wise. The toe studs are essential for running up steep muddy slopes. Normal Shimano M520 pedals work well for me, although they can suffer a bit more in mud than some other designs like Crank Bros egg beaters.

Other than that you don’t need much kit. The races are short and hard so just a cycling top and shorts will do. Arm and leg warmers (cheapo ones of On One are fine) are a good idea to wear to warm up and remove just before the start. Similarly a jacket you don’t mind stuffing in a tree to wear and take off just before the start.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Skinsuit or GTFO

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Tomd – what shoes would you recommend? Luckily I’ve got a pair of M520 pedals so that’s handy.

aP
    Free Member

I just use what I ride on the road – bib shorts help stop saddle snags. For normal cx I use sidis with spikes, not recommended for the 3 Peaks though as I nearly toppled down the stepped climb up Whernside when I had a comedy slippyslippy feet moment, fortunately the guy behind me put his hand in the small of my back and kept me upright! The next year I wore northwave boots with rubber soles – much better.

benji
    Free Member

Zip off tights are good, that way you can warm up, and then not have to take off your shoes. Other than shorts and shirt, skinsuits are nice but they are a pain to pin numbers on if you race on your own.

I personally like the egg beater pedals as they clear mud very well, and have float for my knees.

Tarpaulin to go in the back of your car to keep the mud at bay.

As for licence just a bronze race from the BC as it covers everything except national champs and trophy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Same as my road kit, the only addition is fleece/zipped leg warmers for warm ups.

Normal MTB shoes (Giro Privateers) with toe studs. Candy’s.

Warm up kit you can leave track side, you’ll be warm when racing.

Laundry bag.

mdb
    Free Member

This is my first cross season and I’m loving it.

As for kit you don’t need anything specific although I’ve found egg beaters are better for mud clearance. Oh and it’s all about the tyres and tyre pressures, but that’s a different thread.

What I have learned is more about what to do before and after the race. So for example drink plenty as you don’t use a bottle during the race. Energy gel about 15 mins before the start. You get hot so don’t over dress, which is easier said that done in the depths of winter. Get your heart rate really going before the race so when it starts you don’t feel like your about to have a heart attack when you go from resting to 190bpm in 30 secs.

I got myself a roof rack as car took a beating after every muddy race. Take a packed lunch for post race munchies.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Sound advice. Glad I’ve got a bit of Christmas money to spend on some kit. First race entered for end of January. Excited already!

aP
    Free Member

If you’re in the SE then you should come along to Footscray on Sunday for London League and Herne Hill on New Years Day for the Madison.

jonba
    Free Member

Normal kit. Hardest part is warming up and staying warm before the start while on the grid.

I just wear old things over my race kit that I don’t mind leaving in a bag in the pits.

mooman
    Free Member

I prefered shoes I could actually run in instead of the usual stiff soled mtb shoes with studs.

Leg warmers are good also. If only to take them off without faff of mud soaked tights.

Good set of mud tyres too ..

tomd
    Free Member

I just use a pair of diadora xtrail shoes with massive rugby studs in the front. Any decent shoes with aggressive soles and stud holes will be fine. Shimano or specialized have some good options around £80. Ratchet straps are useful for a secure fit and cost a bit more.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘CX Racers – your kit advice please.’ is closed to new replies.