Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cx Open clincher, Explanation?
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at Challenge open griffo tyres for the cx bike but I’m struggling to get my head round the idea of it being a tub but still having to run a tube, What is the benefit of running an open clincher over a normal clincher tyre?

Cheers
    Gordymac

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

None at all in my eyes, unless maybe a supple casing for a better ride? but the whole point for using tubs is that you can run them very soft without pinching tubes or rolling them off the rims in corners, thay and the rims for tubs are normally a lot lighter. none of these would hold true with ‘open’ tubs like the griffo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Without having looked at The product, everything he says makes sense.

crikey
    Free Member

Open clincher is just a way of saying that they use the same carcass for the clincher as they do for the tub. It’s marketing speak for a reasonable quality tyre.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Thanks guys, Seems like a bit of an odd ball idea then, I’ll stick to standard clinchers as they are cheaper too.

Cheers
    Gordymac

hammerite
    Free Member

I use these, like them a lot.

And yes, they’re made in the same way as a tub, but cut open and structured as a clincher.

Gordymac
    Free Member

hammerite, Do you use the griffos specifically or just open clinchers in general?

Tell me more?

Cheers
    Gordymac

Gary_M
    Free Member

And yes, they’re made in the same way as a tub, but cut open and structured as a clincher.

So they’re a clincher then but made by a company famed for tubs.

hammerite
    Free Member

Gary – here’s an explanation shamelessly copied and pasted from someone more eloquent than myself (it’s what I found when I was wondering wtf open tubulars were when I was about to buy these a month or two ago)…..

Open Tubulars. An open tubular is a tubular tire whose edges have not been sewn together. Instead, a flexible bead of kevlar is sewn along the edges turning it into, if I may be allowed to mix up my definitions here for a second, a clincher that performs almost as well as a tubular. All the techniques of making the tubular; the high-thread-count unwoven casing and the cold-treated tread application are used in the manufacture of Open Tubulars. For this reason, a rider who is not willing to suffer the trouble of dealing with sew-up glue and the tricky job of repairing a flatted sew-up, the open tubular is a wonderful choice.

Almost everything that was written above about hand-made tubulars applies to open tubulars. Their high-thread-count casing makes them strong, while able to roll fast and resist punctures. The cold-treated tread application along with the fine casing give the tires a wonderful feel that must be experienced to understand.

hammerite
    Free Member

Gordy – yes I use the Griffos. I asked a question of Gabby Day on twitter, and she recommended them for drier/faster cross conditions.

I’ve found them to be great so far, not had any sketchy moments when cornering at speed, and they seem to roll pretty fast too. No idea how they’ll be in the wet or when there is a bit of mud, should find out soon enough – I am planning to run different tyres if it gets very wet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

all tubs have a tube no?

Gordymac
    Free Member

Thanks hammerite

Sounds interesting, I think I’ll need to give them a go soon when I need new tyres.

Gordymac

nomakoman
    Free Member

i use the tubular versions…lovely supple carcass!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cx Open clincher, Explanation?’ is closed to new replies.