Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Cutting a car tyre off a wheel
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Easy to do?

TIA

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Lots of smoke if you use a grinder!

fasthaggis

Getting it off the bead is the hard bit.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just set fire to it. You’ll be left with one slightly blackened rim.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take it to a tyre shop? Fiver will be better than the hassle

trail_rat
    Free Member

Getting it off the bead is the hard bit.

Plank of wood , reverse car onto plank , bead broken.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why?

I have removed tyres with a crowbar before. Same as bike tires, just more difficult. I dislodged the bead by standing on it deflated.

Stoner
    Free Member

I cut some tyres of an old tractor mower before weighing it in.

Makes a hell of a mess with the cutter disc on the grinder and everything gets splattered with sticky melted tyre rubber.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bolt cutters not up to the bead?

Stoner
    Free Member

cant see how youd get at the bead. Maybe a cold chisel and hammer

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cut the tread off, cutting through the sidewall?

Gary_M
    Free Member

cant see how youd get at the bead. Maybe a cold chisel and hammer

Deflate tyre, jump on tyre, bead moves to middle. You need big metal tyre levers to get the bead over the rim though.

submarined
    Free Member

Massive ballache, messy, and you’ll probably damage yourself and/or the wheel. Give a tyre place some beer tokens.

Source: prior personal experience.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve got a horse-shoe shaped tool with a long lever that works like a rim brake. Still requires patience and effort.

Gary M has just reveled he weighs more than Geoff Capes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Massive ballache, messy, and you’ll probably damage yourself and/or the wheel. Give a tyre place some beer tokens.

Source: prior personal experience.

mmm I did manual tyre removal when I was at collage as part of my yts course. Now I know it was over 30 years ago but the principal remains the same.

I’m 70kg btw.

Edukator
    Free Member

So the tyre was taken on and off regularly, Gary. And the tyre and rim were probably 165/70 13. I’ve had to give up on some tyres and take them to the fitter even with the correct tool.

avdave2

I’ve always used one of to take tyres off rims

mc
    Free Member

Bolt cutters might work to cut the steal bead if you’ve got the tyre broken away from the bead, but they’ll only handle the metal. If it’s not broken away, and you can’t get the bead moved, the only real option involves a grinder. I’ve seen it done in the process of removing totally shredded tyres where there’s not been enough left to grip the sidewall to break the bead, and it isn’t a nice job.

As others have said, pay somebody a few beer tokens to remove it. The hassle to do it yourself really isn’t worth it.

Speeder

Tyre place – no question. I once spent an afternoon swearing at the crappy cheap Chinese front tyre I had to cut off a KMX125 the previous owner had put on to pass an MOT before sale. The new one went on pretty easy but it would have been a fiver to get the old one taken off by a pro and I could have done something useful with my time.

scc999

I cut some off a set f steel rims with a hacksaw. Not that hard as I recall.

sweepy
    Free Member

I cut one off once, never will again.
    Break bead as per Trail rat then use crowbars as levers is my method.

oldschool

Also, if a low profile you’ll struggle even more. Acquired son 17″ alloys complete with tyres a few years ago, tyres were worn but thought. I’ll weigh the wheels in “I’ll have them tyres off in a jiffy” about 2 hours for the first tire. The other 3 are still behind the garage.

nealglover
    Free Member

when I was at collage

Did you use a lot of glue.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looking at online vids it seems breaking the bead will be the issue, but I have a car jack!

Might give it a go…the car’s off the road just now so it’s a good time to get new tyres and DIY refurb the wheels – and taking them for the wheel fitting is a PITA so saving a trip to get them removed saves a ballache.

Thanks all, esp the spoon joker 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

How serious a wheel refurb are you doing? I’ve repainted wheels with the tyre on with some masking tape and card to protect the tyre before.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Same as above, wire brush attachment in drill? Then paint? Leave the tyres on

spacehopper

I have done this in the past..

I tried cutting with a grinder.. lots of smoke and mess.. i gave up..

also tried using some crowbars as tyre levers.. they worked.. eventually..!! but it took a long time and a lot of energy..

a bit of a breakthrough moment came when i used plenty of grease
    on the tyre bead and the edge of the rim.. it made levering it over a LOT easier as the bead had a tendency to REALLY grip the rim when it was nice and tight..

breaking the bead was relatively easy.. deflated the tyre then stood on it..

would i do it again? nope not a chance!!! I’d take it to a tyre place and pay the fitter to take them off..

andrewh
    Free Member

Cutting off with a grinder is fairly easy, but wear decent gloves – it will spray meted rubber up your arm and it hurts/smells/doesn’t come off easily

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh. I quite like learning the hard way sometimes 😛

I want to make a decent job, bought 2 pack lacquer, and a few gouges to fill/or grind out (yes, I am thinking of using the jacked up car as a lathe!)

porter_jamie

i have a tyre machine if you are anywhere near essex

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta, I was last week! Back to Edinburgh now

leffeboy

yes, I am thinking of using the jacked up car as a lathe!

applauds and presents danger award

sweepy
    Free Member

Breaking the bead is the easy bit. Wheel off and spare on, wheel flat on ground with a fencepost on the tyre, drive car onto fencepost.

andrewh
    Free Member

yes, I am thinking of using the jacked up car as a lathe!

applauds and presents danger award
    Brilliant 🙂
    Sensible head on – axle stands and big chocks (Got some 6 ton axle stands you can borrow, near Galashiels so not far from you)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks but bricks or nothing 🙂

I have no spare!

I may just bail and get Hellfrauds to do it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*gleefully has a go*

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YBNFY2]2017-09-11_09-13-44[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried whacking the bead with a club hammer /wooden block, that bead is going nowhere 😐

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dave Starsky is going to be gutted when he finds his car up on bricks.

joefm

Take the front wheel off and lower the cars disc onto the side wall of the tyre.

Failing that take it to a fitters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You mean move the tyre to the side so the disc pinches the sidewall?

The front tyres are brand new…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Cutting a car tyre off a wheel’ is closed to new replies.