Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cut Gate in 'Janet & John' fashion
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Does anyone know a site / link that has a blow by blow account of the Cut Gate route from Fairholmes please?

Planning to do a first go at this tomorrow……never got round to it unbelievably!

Thanks,

tlr

Leave fairholmes, head north. When you hit a main road turn round and head south.

Stop when you reach your car.

You can do a bit of a loop at Langset, but that’s basically it, unless you want to do 70km?

docrobster
    Free Member

Have you got a map?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

tlr – I know that much…..i would like a janet and john version i.e. at a xx in the path turn right up a xxxx etc etc…..

Doc – OS 1:50, yes……

Descriptions of directions preferred – thought there may be a website with a map / description a la edge cycle works type thing…….

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Don’t turn right at the xxx. Or left…

Make sure you’ve got a bell.

😉

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Sod off and answer your texts

jeffl

Buy the dark peaks book from VP if you want a blow by blow guide. TBH it’s a pretty straight forward route. I did it for the first time a few weeks back and looked at the map maybe once or twice.

Not sure how wet it will be as there has been a bit of rain here (Chesterfield) today. May be a bit of a bog fest.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Plenty of blow by blow descriptions offered up on here for many routes…….I would have gone on Amazon had i wanted to buy a book.

Rain has been minimal vs the length of dry spell so it should be fine……according to the grapevine

DenDennis
    Free Member

Its more or less parts 12- 14 on this site

site

all i would say is be prepared for it to be a LOT harder than it looks or people go on about (climbing-wise). everyone goes on about how great the descents are but its a tough push up some bits unless you’re a riding god. the bit along the sides of the reservoir feels a bit longer than it looks too. hope its not a bog fest! 😀

docrobster
    Free Member

tlr’s directions are about right really.
    From fairholmes head north to slippery stones. On the eastern side of the water.
    You will come to a stream crossing with a narrow wooden bridge. Turn right and follow the signed bridleway up the hill. There a couple of options one is a footpath but you end up on the same path. A long hard slog up the hill on the only obvious path. You pass a cairn, ride along a flag stone section, then the sunken river bed bit at the top. This is where it’s wettest.
    Just follow the obvious path and eventually you start the descent down the other side. Again only one track to follow. After a while on some lovely rocky singletrack you get to a junction of bridleways. You can keep going straight on to langsett res but most would turn right here and follow the path downhill till you get to the ruins of North america farm. Again it’s really obvious as its a t junction with another bridleway. You go left through a gate in a wall passing the ruins on your right. Follow this track till you reach the main bridleway which you will see is coming from langsett res to the right. Turn left and you’ll soon be back at the junction where you first turned off the main path. Retrace your steps from there.
    We had quite a bit of rain this morning in sheffield but it dried up nicely and the sun shone all afternoon with no more rain forecast. It’s been so dry recently it’s should be fine up there. I rode it a few weeks ago and got caught in some rain, there were a few puddles on the top but all rideable. But it is pretty exposed on the top and a long walk from anywhere so make sure you’ve got everything you might need.
    The route I’ve just described is 19 miles and 2400 feet of climbing. Allow 3 hours I reckon.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Cheers Doc……

joat

Last weekend we started with the road, as it seems to gain height easier than the fire road type side, and just after the little bridge there’s a little used zig-zag singletrack climb through the wood on the right. At the bridleway junction we carried straight on, its a fun rapid descent that requires a little less concentration than the previous rockfests and the climb back up is all rideable with a little tenacity, concentration and luck. It was a bit boggy on top and at the start of the trail proper and this won’t have improved after the rain this morning, and beware of the odd wheel-swallowing puddle on top. It was my first time too as I had found it a little daunting previously but I really enjoyed it. Hope you have fun.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

What a great little there and back-er!

Great weather for it – very boggy (all relative I guess)…..

Rode it all down……tough hike up the first proper hill.

Cheers for the top tips…..will be back on a frosty Winters day…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate in 'Janet & John' fashion’ is closed to new replies.