Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Curtis 835/Freeride
  • bobster
    Free Member

Considering a Curtis – either an 853 or a Freeride, based upon a 140mm fork for trail riding, don't know what the current niche core name is – aggressive XC????

So, tell me about them.

Alternatively, just get a good old STW favourite, a Soul.

Anyone able to comment on a Curtis compared to a Soul?

Ta

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Candodavid from this here forum has and 853. Its pretty light and optimised for 100mm.

I'm sure he'll be along to elaborate.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Woo I'm here,
    Over a period of 15 plus years riding mountain bike I had the Curtis built for exactly what I wanted it to be.

71/73 angles ideally suited to 100mm travel, have ridden it with 115mm reba with 30% sag, and in its current guise it is fully rigid SS.

Had it built with 23.75 inch T/T length, and 17.5 inch C-C so to give a little more standover.

Had it nearly 2 years now, the ride it gives is amazing, stays are very thin 853 and the frame weighs in at 4.06lb.

It is a real blast on tight whippy singletrack, very responsive and incredbly well balanced as a built bike.

PS Scienceofficer is hoping my son doesn't grow to tall so he can steal it when i'm too old to ride.

Well worth the wait

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigsi
    Free Member

Is it really going to be better than your Hummer though Bobster or are we going to have another Soda/Orange5 situation ?

Although out of the 2 i would get the Curtis based on nothing more than looks/nicheness 😉

bobster
    Free Member

Bump

Anyone else? I know I've seen a couple of Freerides on here…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I could afford a Curtis, I wouldn't look anywhere else. I love 'em. 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Bobster… speak to Gary @ Curtis explain what you want and how you would like it ideally built, I believe he can adjust head/seat angles to your requirements, especially if you want to run 140mm travel 853

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

If you intend riding anywhere that points down don't go with the standard 71 HA

Candodavid
    Free Member

If you intend riding anywhere that points down don't go with the standard 71 HA….

Not a problem on mine 😯

bobster
    Free Member

mundiesmiester – Out of interest what HA did you go with?

GlennG
    Free Member

Got a 18" Curtis FR for sale if your interested, had it built a few years ago around the geometry/sizing of my Hummer.

Also got one of the new Souls, to be honest I love the Soul over the Curtis although the Curtis can take a bit more abuse (head angle with a set of Pikes with sag is about 69.5deg.) If I was going for a new Curtis (they are very nice, rare-ish and well put together) I would defo get the head angle slackened off a bit but its good for tight twisty singletrack with the 71deg head angle but can suffer a bit when the going gets a bit technical/rocky, The Soul is just 'perfect' but common as muck.
    £780 v's £470 hmmmm.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Mine was standard @ 71 degree's – I believe Gary still recommends this as the optimum angle, however as each Freeride frame is bespoke he will build you want you want. As Glenn says perfect for twisty singletrack but is too twitchy when things get steep. It's replacement does love to point down.

walleater

Maybe it should be called the 'Uphill Freeride'? It sure as hell isn't designed to go down!

bobster
    Free Member

Damn that Evil looks nice….

bobster
    Free Member

GleenG – you've hit my dilemma on the head.

Bumhands
    Free Member

I've currently got 2 curtis frames and I'm a bit of a fan.
    I love the way Gary's frames ride. I like small frames with lots of stand over height so you can get
    really low over the bike. This gets used for Jumps, XC, BMX tracks, Pump Tracks and Alpine business.

The 'standard' head angle works for me but I'm no expert like the rest of you.

The best thing for me is the Curtis refurb – a new colour and a brand new looking frame
    each time it looks tatty for £100. Think its going grey next.

robidoo
    Free Member

Bumhands I would love a bike that rides like my Curtis SX but I also
    take out on longer rides with a bit of seat up action.
    I too like small frames (16 inch Soul and Orange Alpine) what is the geometry on yours?

bigsi
    Free Member

Bobster what about the Broady Holeshot. Best looking frame I've seen in a long time and would say its would be able to handle anything you could chuck at it (6" curbs etc 😆 )

Bumhands
    Free Member

robidoo I have an SX24 – amazing frame.

The brief to Gary was to make it feel as close to that as possible.
    Inevitably the frame has to be bigger I had to be able to get the seat high enough to climb comfortably.

I'm 5'11 and opted for a 16.2" seat tube. This was based on having ridden a 15.5 a 16 and a 17 and I knew I could get the post high enough but also super low.

robidoo
    Free Member

Thanks Bumhands I am 5/11 too,
    now what can I sell?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Curtis 835/Freeride’ is closed to new replies.