Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Cursed slates in restaurants.
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

binners

Thats the problem though. Its spreading like a rash. If you were in some Hipster Pop-up abomination in the Northern quarter, being served overpriced tat by people with full-sleave tattoos and facial hair, then you’d expect it.

But this has now infected society to such a degree that they now do it down your local boozer.

I’ll predict that within a couple of years it’ll be viewed in the same way as chicken in a basket, in that it will single-handedly personify everything that is just utterly naff about a certain period of time. In fact I think we probably got there a while back, when we hit Peak Beard.

Just **** off, and get me a plate!

allthepies
    Free Member

Did the waiter look anything like this ?

rusty90
    Free Member

Had this in a trendy bistro we visited recently. Very nice lamb cutlet with new potatoes and ‘heritage’ veg accompanied with a generous jug of gravy (or ‘jew’ as the staff described it), all artfully arranged on a slab of cold stone.
    Managed to persuade the 12 year old waitress to put it on a proper plate, which was a shame really as my next step was going to be to pour the full jug of gravy over it and watch it spread across the table and drip onto the floor 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just **** off, and get me a plate!

chewkw
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

does anyone remember when pork wasn’t pulled ????

I think chewkie’s always pulled his pork [/quote]

Well it’s written on the package as pulled pork so I guess I just have to stick to the term. Why the term is so trendy now I don’t know.

I don’t always pulled my pork but it can be a pleasure to pull it though … 😆

hora
    Free Member

OP for abit of balance. Recently I was in Reiss and a dad pushing his baby around in its pushchair dropped its dummy on the floor so I went over, bent down infront of him to pick it up and coincidentally had a whole metal racking fall over and land on my head. The Dad flipped with the staff in there saying why wasn’t the racking safe/why was it overloaded and if it wasn’t for me the lot would have landed on his son instead. I was dazed and kept holding my head but didn’t complain or ask for any sort of compensation.

Have you engaged a law firm yet for your dribble of ice cream? 😉

hooli

Where do STW stand on massive plates with writing and pictures around your very carefully arranged food?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

slates are bad enough as is, but when food comes on them after a week of re-slating a massive barn it really takes the biscuit.
    would’ve complained but it was a first date and i like to keep the true extent of my obnoxiousness hidden until the third or fourth

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

a whole metal racking fall over and land on my head

there’s a few things that might explain 😉

porlus
    Free Member

Been there. Wouldn’t recommend the food- I left wondering what I had paid extra for. I’ve spoken to staff who claimed that they have a high price point to attract a classier type of customer. Sutlers- fine for a drink, but there is better food almost anywhere else in town.

Cheers for that. Another person added to the list of ones not to recommend it for food. Showed my lass a photo of one of their puddings and she said the metal tin gave her the heebie jeebies 😆

Another one for the list (might be in a minority here though)

Brioche buns for burgers. Way way too soft and the slightest bit of moisture makes them fall apart in your hand. Give me a chunky bap any day.

thegreatape
    Free Member

with a generous jug of gravy (or ‘jew’ as the staff described it)

I wonder if they said ‘jus’?

onewheelgood

There’s a FB page for you https://www.facebook.com/WeWantPlates

Some real horrors on there.

Bunnyhop

Puddings should be served in a bowl with ice cream, cream or custard, not on a silly piece of wood, metal, slate or in a shoe.
    Barmy.

CountZero

jambalaya – Member

@Pook
    one of my pet hates, slate is however preferable to wood which must be one of the most unhealthy fads ever to hit the restaurant business. I’ve asked in a couple of places that my food is served on a plate or also what can I order that comes on a plate. I’ve eaten from banana leaves more than a few times in Asia but those are clean and thrown away afterwards.

So the use of wooden serving implements and bowls and plates for centuries has been just a fad, then? You’re familiar with the term ‘trencherman’? Describes someone who really appreciatiates his food, taken from ‘trencher’:

A trencher (from Old French tranchier; “to cut”) is a type of tableware, commonly used in medieval cuisine. A trencher was originally a flat round of bread used as a plate, upon which the food could be placed before being eaten.[1] At the end of the meal, the trencher could be eaten with sauce, but was more frequently given as alms to the poor. Later the trencher evolved into a small plate of metal or wood.

I’ve eaten twice at Oslo, the music venue/bar/restaurant in Hackney, and my burger was served on a slab of wood, at least an inch thick, just a slice cut through a branch and sanded smooth. Once it’s been oiled properly, it’s perfectly good for eating from, no different to using a slab of wood as a chopping board, like the piece of beech I have, an inch and a half thick a foot across and eighteen inches long, been using it for years. No more or less hygienic than the slab I was eating from at Oslo.
    The chips came in a bucket, but they were as good a helping as I’d have had on a plate.
    An order of soup might have presented a problem, mind… 😉

binners

Given that, it’s absolutely amazing anyone bothered to manufacture ceramics at all. You must laugh heartily at us idiots as you lick soup off your cricket bat 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m used to being served on a myriad of implements, thankfully Londons returning back to plates… You lot have still got another 2 years of eating off window sills and rubber mats and the like until your regional trend fades, by which time we’ll all be eating off our fellow diners bare backs or something equally stupid.

When I’m home in Hampshire only one place I know of went for serving on abstract timber, lasted about 2 months before most folk boycotted the place.

Its really a distraction method imposed when the foods a bit crap.

Try somewhere else I say.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Cursed slates in restaurants.’ is closed to new replies.