Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Cursed slates in restaurants.
  • Pook

I went out in the peak for a wander and we decided to have a Sunday roast. Very nice it was too. But the dessert – chocolate cheesecake with a rasberry sorbet – came on a slate. A sodding slate.

Of course, the first I knew of this was when the waitress, handing over said dessert, angled it in such a way that the frozen, but melting fruity side took advantage of the super-lubed, flat surface ‘pon which it found itself to make a break for freedom and leap from plate into the lap of my as-yet-unaware-of-sugary-delights-in-the-vicinity son.

“O-oh” says he, sorbet melting into his freshly changed trousers.

“Oops” says the waitress, cruelly targeted by the evil slate.

Why do places insist on using a flat surface to serve food that is or could become liquid? What the hell is wrong with a plate??

On bringing a new scoop she said “is everything OK now?”

My two year old timed his “no, it’s still on my foot” perfectly

Bregante

I’d have hit the roof.

Slate them on TripAdvisor.

mogrim

There’s a Facebook page that would love to hear from you:
    https://www.facebook.com/WeWantPlates

binners

It’s a bloody stupid affectation.

We went out for lunch last week and were served our food on some type of wooden paddle type thing. As the waitress placed them down, and turned to walk away, my mate Jan piped up ‘Scuse me love – could you take all this lot away and bring us our food on proper plates please?’

She did. While sporting a face like a smacked arse.

Jay Rayner has had some epic rants on the subject

bearnecessities

“Oops” says the waitress, cruelly targeted by the evil slate.

Yes, but did she have a slaty cleavage?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Local pub served chips in a bucket. Shame was, it was a tiny pretend bucket that only held about 8 chips, for about £3.50 or something. Luckily, I wasn’t buying – as I said, I’d just had fish and chips and left over more than they were serving as a portion.

Another places I go to uses slates, but for something like a burger and pot of chips it works ok – almost more of a tray than a plate. Not that I’m a fan, but I haven’t actually gone as far as complaining (the horror!).

zippykona

I was served ham (which in fact was pork) egg and chips on a slate.
    Result, one very eggy table.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@bearnezzezideez

Hey, geology isn’t all just cleavage bedding and and thrusting, ya know!

(used under licence and courtesy of Keele geolsoc T-shirt c.1998 (Just to be clear I never owned one!))

chewkw
    Free Member

Went to a young-ish celebrity (that boy-man that like to say “pakka” this “pakka” that trying to look hip) restaurant chain in the toon coz someone suggested it so went along with the idea.

Served some fancy chips on small bucket but they called them wedges or something like that … they were so oily and burned that I was charged £3.50 for the privilege. I had a burger and yes, you guess it, it was shite. I can pay £5 with proper burger and chips at one of my local pub (they are good).

I would never eat there again and rather spent my hard earned money at my local fish and chips.

Served my friends from EU some pasta with missing ingredients. She knew it instantly so complaint and they gave her another but still got it wrong. In the end that did not charge her for her meal but the food was shite anyway …

If you have not tried expensive shite food (any food that is shite is expensive) go there.

Even Sainsbury pulled pork and Tesco chips are 100% better …

🙄

bearnecessities

That makes as much sense as a relationship post from Hora.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That makes as much sense as a relationship post from Hora.

ya norra Geordie aya?

*translates*
    Don’t go to an eatery with any relationship to Jamie Oliver.

marra.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m away this weekend – lovely resort thing near Tenby – foods not bad either, but everything comes on a bloody plank! – my be had a burger, a streak and now a Thai curry all served on a bloody plank – my wife’s got perfect maners and the hands of a surgeon (or rather one that fits female cathiters a lot) and she can’t eat with out spilling some on the table – my food flys about the place like a pinball.

molgrips
    Free Member

I once had about six chips served in a tiny miniature fryer basket. Amusing, but not enough chips. That wasn’t a good meal for a variety of reasons.

porlus
    Free Member

Our local has the annoying habit of using flipping chopping boards instead of plates. Can’t beat watching your sauce cascade over the edge.

vickypea
    Free Member

I had sardines served in their tin recently, along with pate in a mini flower pot and chutney in a tiny wheelbarrow. Oh, and sauce in a little watering can.

tomd
    Free Member

Was in a hipster pub last Friday. First thing I thought was they’d serve food in hats. Not quite but their burgers came in fake mini wooden shipping crates lined with fake newspaper with headlines like “POW! Best Ever Burger Served”. Grr.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had a burger on a slate at The Red Lion in Alnmouth. I’ll forgive them on this occasion cos the burger was MASSIVE & very very tasty. The chips however weren’t as good as The Hope & Anchors over the road.

A plate for me though, every time.

porlus
    Free Member

New pub in York called sutlers has a ww2 theme. Apparently serves food in mess tins and 40s period plates etc. By all accounts its geared up for the tourist trade.

BillMC

Good for a night on the tiles.

slowoldman

Ask for a plate.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

this place

http://meatmission.com/

doesnt even bother with plates/slates/chopping boards just comes slopped on a tray…

BUT BLOODY TASTY !!!!!!

Pook

At least a tray has a lip

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my mate Jan piped up ‘Scuse me love – could you take all this lot away and bring us our food on proper plates please?’

Is there a course I need to go on to get upset about this sort of stuff? I feel unequipped for this sort of getting upset over the thing my food is served on

Reckon this could send a few over the edge, pulled pork in there too 😉
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rEwjZb]Reward for the ride…[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

edhornby

does anyone remember when pork wasn’t pulled ????

binners

my mate Jan piped up ‘Scuse me love – could you take all this lot away and bring us our food on proper plates please?’

Is there a course I need to go on to get upset about this sort of stuff? I feel unequipped for this sort of getting upset over the thing my food is served on

Well Jan has run pubs all her life. Good pubs, serving decent food, and in here words… ‘serving food on wooden boards is disgusting and unhygienic. Just use some bloody plates FFS!’. You can argue with her if you like. I wouldn’t personally.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Argue? I’d just have rolled my eyes and walked off.

binners

Clearly you’ve not met many more mature pub landladies from Wythenshawe then? If you’d have rolled your eyes and walked off, I’d say there’d be a pretty good chance you’d be coming round, face-down, covered in food, and blood, with a wooden paddle/chopping board shaped indentation in the back of your head

footflaps

Personally, I quite like the variety of not having food always served on a plate.

serving food on wooden boards is disgusting and unhygienic

Only it’s not, wood is actually very good at not holding bacteria.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What a charming lady binners 🙂

Anyway everyone else will have had a great time delicately moving your food onto a plate almost certainly without using a penis…

hora
    Free Member

I went to a pub/restaurant on Sat where lots of people on tripadvisor rate it as ‘fantastic’!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1013018-d6072252-Reviews-George_s_Dining_Room_And_Bar-Worsley_Salford_Greater_Manchester_England.html

Have these people eated outside of Manchester in their lives or is everything posh when its almost £5 for a 330ml bottle of beer?

I’ve noticed that in general – EVERY non-ethnic restaurant in Manchester is basically pub food with the prices hiked up to make it look posh.

singletrackgrace
    Free Member

porlus – Member
    New pub in York called sutlers has a ww2 theme. Apparently serves food in mess tins and 40s period plates etc. By all accounts its geared up for the tourist trade.

Been there. Wouldn’t recommend the food- I left wondering what I had paid extra for. I’ve spoken to staff who claimed that they have a high price point to attract a classier type of customer. Sutlers- fine for a drink, but there is better food almost anywhere else in town.

footflaps

I’ve spoken to staff who claimed that they have a high price point to attract a classier type of customer.

It is important to keep the rabble out!

trailhound101

The Ubiquitous Chip in Glasgow’s West end (which incidentally is a great venue with great food and freindly staff… and a massive selection of single malts) serves food on slates and they’re not even real ones! In fact they are faux-slate floor tiles AND even worse… they appear to be left over from when they tiled the gents. Messed with my head that did…

Xylene
    Free Member

My big sister told me she went to a sWANKY restaurant/bar in London once, where the table cloth had pictures of plates on it, and food was served directly onto the table cloth.

She also went to a restaurant where all food was served on cracked, chipped, plates on purpose.

66deg
    Free Member

This is how to serve food.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pook one of my pet hates, slate is however preferable to wood which must be one of the most unhealthy fads ever to hit the restaurant business. I’ve asked in a couple of places that my food is served on a plate or also what can I order that comes on a plate. I’ve eaten from banana leaves more than a few times in Asia but those are clean and thrown away afterwards.

molgrips
    Free Member

I ate at a place in Sundsvall in Sweden where the food came on a strange square platter. Closer inspection reveealed it to be a bathroom floor tile. The waitress confirmed this, with an equally bemused air.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Hate it, but always just beared it. Until I was served a burger with peas on a piece of drift wood FFS. It wasn’t even flat.

These days I don’t even attempt to eat it, just send it straight back to be transfered to a plate.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

does anyone remember when pork wasn’t pulled ????

I think chewkie’s always pulled his pork

ourmaninthenorth

You’re all eating burgers and chips FFS.

I could understand the middle aged indignation if you were eating more than just fast food indoors, but you’re not.

Quit moaning. Especially anyone who has willfully gone into a hipster joint and then felt indignant that they don’t bring out your mum’s best porcelain (though maybe that’s an as yet unexplored angle).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Cursed slates in restaurants.’ is closed to new replies.