Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Currys Harlow
  • Aidy
    Free Member

Just had literally the worst customer experience there.
    I'm providing this as a warning to any others considering offering their custom there.

I walked in, casually browsed around (Christmas shopping y'see) for a little while, then made to leave the store.

I found my exit blocked by the (alleged) store manager, who asked "What have you got?".
    That's it, no kind of politeness, or enquiry. Just a plain accusation of theft.

Then then insisted upon checking my bag, which I happily complied with, though I'm aware of my rights and I know full well that I had every right to refuse. But y'know, I had nothing to hide – figured it could have been an honest mistake, I'm reasonably easy going.

Upon finding merely my top, and an empty sunglasses case (yes, she checked), she insisted upon me emptying my pockets, and then, upon *still* finding nothing, insisted upon me removing my top!

Bear in mind, this is all at the front of the store.
    And she'd gathered about 10 employees around her. I'm fairly accepting of safety in numbers, but seriously. My 9.5 stone frame just isn't that intimidating.

Upon *still* finding nothing (for there was nothing to find, see), she told me I had a poor attitude, and told me not to come back.

Excuse me? I have a poor attitude? I've complied with even your most ridiculous requests, I've not raised my voice, or used bad language at any stage. I hadn't even spoken to any other members of staff there.

I asked why she'd felt the need to stop me, and she muttered something about me "suspiciously" browsing. Bear in mind I didn't actually pick anything up (I might have played a little on one of the laptop keyboards). I'm not sure how normal window shopping can be considered suspicious.

I asked to speak to the manager, and she told me that she was the manager, and I couldn't talk to anyone else. She insisted upon me leaving once again.

Another person came over and told me that he was also the manager, and that there was nothing he could do, if I'd just like to go quietly on my way.
    I asked for the head office phone number.

He gave me the wrong phone number. Thanks for that.

At no stage was any kind of apology offered. I was told I had a poor attitude on several occasions.

Anyway, I've lodged a complaint. Should I not get an answer to my satisfaction, I'll be standing outside next weekend, advising potential customers of the managers' poor attitudes.

Thought I'd warn people in advance.

Don't shop at Currys Harlow.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Once had a similar experience in Borders

Walked out and set the alarm off, staff member grabbed me and asked to search my bag.
    I refused knowing I had done nothing wrong, he then said he was calling the police.

I replied he had better be sure because if they came and found nothing I would sue the arse of them.
    He didn't seem too sure even though by now the shift manager was present (slightly different because my 14st frame,few scars and missing front tooth is slightly more intimidating)

Then said I was leaving and if they touched me I would consider it assault and would have no other recourse than to act in self defence

Walked out unhindered and then just to see what set the alarm off went back and tested the only item it could have been which was something I had just bought in Maplins (obviously hadn't had any anti theft protection removed) and yes I did have a receipt for it

Bit unnerving, but your experience sounds a lot worse, hope you feel ok now.

Aidy
    Free Member

I don't believe that I did *anything* to even remotely suggest that I'd be shoplifting anything.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

having worked in retail they are generally on high alert round about xmas, but seems to me they got a bit over zealous on this occasion. Also sounds a bit like they shat it when you asked for head offices number.

Unfortunately you'll probably get knowhere with head office, they'll just say you must have been acting suspiciously.

Next time have a proper benny at the top of your voice and start claiming that they're hitting you

LMT
    Free Member

We have a very strict policy on this we watch and follow this rule:

Selection
    Concealment
    Observation
    Non-payment
    Exit

If any are not 100% conclusive we can't stop at all, if the barriers go off thats a different story, we do stop, if we get it wrong which now and then we do, we apologize alot!! most customers understand, based on your experience i would complain big time! would even threaten to take legal action as they had no reason to stop you, and the embarrassment factor, friend or neighbour was possibly in the store at the same time……

pacemaker
    Free Member

I think a call to the local paper to highlight there "customer service".
    A friend of mine has a large scar all the way across his chest(from major surgery) and would hate to think that someone like him could suffer the embarrassment of being asked to take his top off.

You should have stripped naked whilst screaming and shouting that " I hid it up my arse, look!!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

False imprisonment?

project
    Free Member

Last Christmas, Waterstones in Shrewsbury, two smartly dressed women walk in, go to childrens books and take a large pile each and place in large designer bag,and walk out,told member of staf and she just looked at me and said thanks.

Sadly if you fill the stereo typical mould of a shoplifter,male mid 20,s,casual dress,alone,then you will be followed and stopped possibly.

If youre old,with a grotty old wheelchair with a bag down the side,then you can nick 2 bottles of whisky from the local spar,and get away with it,as the bitch did in front of me earlier this year,strangely she was on first name terms with the staff behind the counter.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm kicking off as much as I can.

I spent about an hour and a half logging a complaint over the phone.
    I've just written a letter to their complaints department, which I'll also be sending to their head office.

If I don't get a satisfactory response this week, I'll be there next weekend, advising any potential customers of their likely treatment. And if it comes to that, then yes, I'll probably be informing any local newspapers of this, too.

Aidy
    Free Member

Sadly if you fill the stereo typical mould of a shoplifter,male mid 20,s,casual dress,alone,then you will be followed and stopped possibly.

Well, yes, that is me.

But seriously? Isn't the stereotypical shoplifter going to be in their teens?

djglover
    Free Member

Next time, if they ask you to bend over, DON'T!

LMT
    Free Member

There is no stereotypical shoplifter anymore, last year i stopped a smartly dressed man he shopped twice a week, looked like a banker always on the mobile to someone, brief case in his trolley, he was pinching 4 bottles of whisky every shop he had a woman come in with him sometimes again very professionally dressed, never saw her again.

Another one we watched was a scruffy bloke, holes in shoes etc, turned out when we stopped to chat to him it was just cold outside and he had no where else to go, got him a coffee advised him where the nearest shelter was so he could get a bed for the night.

But going back to what i wrote earlier we have to be very careful, any doubt don't stop its not worth the hassle, bad press etc..

project
    Free Member

Teens have parents that usually pay for stuff for them.

20 somethings are aspireing to have more,than they can afford,thats how the staff think of it,and how they remember themselves wanting it.

Wear a suit,carry a laptop bag,talk loudly into a top of the range mobile,walk out with a freezer,and see if you getb stopped.

LMT,there is a stereo-typical shoplifter to untrained staff who sell microwaves, as opposed to trained and experienced security guards,who only prevent stock being nicked and protect the staff and assets of a buissness,and who do a difficult and demanding job,for little thanks or pay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Currys Harlow’ is closed to new replies.