Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Current Shape Specialized Stumpjumper. Has anybody…
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Has anybody tried 160mm forks on one?

My enduro is getting a bit old and I could do with something lighter and longer, I want to keep all my components and just swap the frame. The forks have a travel reduction for climbing so I know it would go uphill just as well as a std build.

I reckon a stumpy is probably all I need frame wise, as I love my HT too, but would still like to run my Lyriks. Warranty wouldn’t be a consideration as I would be getting it second hand if it turns out to be viable.

Thanks.

tomaso
    Free Member

I run 150 Revelations on a 2010 Stumpjumper and its fine, but you do need the u-turn/dual position. I went from a Pitch to a SJ for the same reasons and I enjoy the lighter trail bike feel over the burlyness of the old Pitch. I ride Lakeland passes on it no problem but I’m no air merchant…

jim76
    Free Member

Running 160mm Talas on a 2012 Stumpy Evo. Only thing I’ve done dropped the stack height and gone with a set of Loaded AMXC flat bars – works for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This sounds promising, I’m going to have to have a good look at the numbers tomorrow.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Anybody else got any ideas about this?

patriotpro
    Free Member

My enduro is getting a bit old

That reminded me of rupertpostlethwaite’s classic thread.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ha, I’m certainly not worried about metal fatigue. I could do with something that’s a bit more upto date design wise that pedals better and is lighter and longer. New shape Enduros and Remedys are a bit pricey and quite rare as frames so I have come up with the genius idea of the Stumpy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

My enduro is getting a bit old

That reminded me of rupertpostlethwaite’s classic thread.
    Link? (even though I think I participated in it 😳 )

renton
    Free Member

I would be fine fitting them to an evo stumpy as that is 150mm as standard but the standard version is 140mm so it might make it a bit wandery!!

Stumpy also feels a bit more flexy around the headtube compared to the enduro!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is a SJer longer than Pitch?!

FWIW I fancy a new SJer too 💡

renton
    Free Member

Stumpy is slightly longer in top tube than enduro

I_Ache
    Free Member

Having a look at the numbers it looks like the Stumpy Evo is an almost identical frame to the std stumpy but the shock has a slightly longer stroke giving it an extra 5mm of travel. All the angles look very similar between the too leading me to believe that its just the extra height of the forks slackening it out a bit.

A large stumpy might be just the ticket for me.

hora
    Free Member

150 yes 160 is a step too far. The Superlights- I know a few Jungle(?) riders rode theirs at 140mm instead of the max 120.

Depends on how you ride as well I guess. If you are a smooth rider then you’d be fine?

Like your thinking though I_ache.

renton
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere the evo has a slacker head angle!! So not sure if it’s just the forks or not?

Great frame whatever you choose to do!

Will post some pics up of my standard stumoy with Fox float 150’s when I get my rear wheel skewer in the post

tinman66
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve read the current Stumpy FSR and Evo are the same frame just the Evo has different shock & linkage with 10mm longer forks to give the slacker geo.

renton
    Free Member

If that’s true then how do spesh justify the extra cost for the evo?

Also does that mean I can get an evo link for my 2011 stumpy which will give it 150mm on the rear to match my 150mm forks?

I_Ache
    Free Member

A Superlight isnt really equivalent to a Stumpy tho Hora. It’s more like a Camber or even an Epic. Stumpys come as standard with 140mm so all I would adding is essentially the width of my thumb under the front end.

There is a 1 degree difference in head angle and seat angle. An extra 10mm travel and bigger front tyre will account for that. If it was a different front triangle they would have kept the seat angle the same so it climbed just as well.

The rocker on the evo does look slightly different, this is probably to change the way the shock feels making it more or less progressive.

EDIT: tinman beat me to it. 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think spesh were selling evo kits at one point. Not sure if they still do.

renton
    Free Member

here you go ……

my 2010 comp with 140mm forks…….

my old 2010 elite with 150mm forks…

new 2011 american import stump with 150mm forks minus wheels…

all large too !

cheers

Steve

tinman66
    Free Member

Renton – Not sure on price, but think you’d need a different shock as well as the linkage to get the 150mm rear travel.

renton
    Free Member

Bugger that then !! im quite happy with 140mm to be honest.

How can you tell if you frame is a normal or evo model?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nice looking bikes renton.

Why have you gone for the yank build?

I would imagine an Evo would say Evo next to where it says Stumpjumper on the top tube.

JCL
    Free Member

An Evo wouldn’t have a Brain.

If you’re looking at large frames (or medium for that matter) you would have to have been smoking the crackpipe for a long time to not buy a 29″ Evo. It’s another world from the 26″ Evo, even with the 160mm 34 that I currently ride.

renton
    Free Member

Bought the yank frame off a lad who got it as a warranty replacement for a 2010 elite like my middle one!

He only rode it once I believe!!

renton
    Free Member

Yep didn’t think mine was an evo anyway so was just wondering

renton
    Free Member

How do you find the evo then JCL? Have you ever rode a normal stumpy to compare it against?

I_Ache
    Free Member

JCL or already be too heavily invested in 26ers to want to buy new wheels tyres and forks. All I want is a frame that I can hang my existing kit off.

tinman66
    Free Member

JCL – Christ I must have smoked so much I’d forgot I’d even started smoking crack.

I have a brand new 26″ Evo sat at home and very happy I am with it. 😀

michaelbowden

I ache

YGM

MIke

JCL
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong the 26″ is a great bike but I think it’s a little too steep stock and needs the Fox 34. I’ve done a year on it and it’s been good in all types of races but the 29″ Evo easily out climbs and descends it and I bet has about 20% more grip. It isn’t just because of the wheels, it’s the geometry too.

I Ache, investment in 26″? You have no idea! I’ve got new 240s on Arches, 2012 26″ 32 and 34 forks. I’m the most anti 29″ marketing guy out there but after a couple rides on the Evo 29″ a 26″ isn’t an option if you want to go fast.

chrismac

I would want to try and work out what it will do the BB height as raising the front end will raise the BB too which will affect stability. Whether its enough to matter for you to decide.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought the bb would move much but its a good point.

honourablegeorge

I_Ache – Member
    A Superlight isnt really equivalent to a Stumpy tho Hora. It’s more like a Camber or even an Epic. Stumpys come as standard with 140mm so all I would adding is essentially the width of my thumb under the front end.

Bit more – the difference between a 140mm 32mm fork and a 160mm 36 fork is more than 20mm – differences in chassis add another inch or so, you’re adding more like 45-50mm.

james
    Free Member

“Stumpys come as standard with 140mm so all I would adding is essentially the width of my thumb under the front end.”

Your thumb is 34mm wide?
    2010 – 2012? 26″ wheel SJer FSR’s came with QRdropout Fox 32 140mm which are 511mm Axle-Crown irrc
    Lyriks, Domain, (Totem,) Fox 36 @ 160mm are 545mm
    Not sure on Fox 34 @ 160mm

“wouldn’t have thought the bb would move much but its a good point”
    I’d have thought the shortened reach/front centre measurement would be more of an issue

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmmm hadn’t thought about the difference in chassis height. Still it might be something worth pursuing if I can get a cheap enough frame. I might even strip the paint off as I have been getting so much love for how my Enduro looks recently.

tomaso
    Free Member

Depending on which year SJ Evo the main differences have been things like tapered headtube pressfit BB 142 bolt thru rear and longer travel. The additonal rear travel and slacker angles is from a different shock that is shorter and has a longer stroke – by a few mm on both, plus the longer front forks.

Not sure if when it went from 145 to 150 rear whether they changed the linkage as well?

I’ve got a 2011 SJ Evo RP23 on my 2010 SJ and it drops the BB and slackens the head angle and adds a little more travel. Its a straight swap and fairly cheap to do. I’ve also got 150 Revelation Dual Position RC3 forks on the front and a 10mm rear axle to clamp up the rear. And i find it a great bike, really capable.

This is it with the old shock triad on it thats got lock out at the Coed y Brenin enduro.

I_Ache
    Free Member

where did you get the shock from Tomasz? One of the things I worry about with a stumpy is the shock. Not sure a brain would suit me and I really like the 3 position compression switch on my current shock.

renton
    Free Member

Is that my old frame tomaso or was it someone else I sold it to?

tomaso
    Free Member

@I Ache I bagged the RP23 shock off here for a mere £65. But mine came with a non-brain Triad shock which is pretty good and has open, pro-pedal and lock out.

@Renton yes my flaky memory says it was you! Its all holding up well enough although the bearings were shot in 4 months of Lakeland abuse! But its all good and I am enjoying riding it. Its definately more playful as a trail bike than the Pitch it replaced, just not quite so burly and stable on the big stuff – but you can’t have it both ways – its either going to be long stable heavy and planted or playful light short and not quite as stable and planted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Current Shape Specialized Stumpjumper. Has anybody…’ is closed to new replies.