• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Crystal ballers – What cassette for 2020?
  • nedrapier

So my 13 year old “future-proofed” (7 or 8 speed!) suntour thumbies are getting a bit baggy and imprecise. The Microshift thumbies look good, and hopefully I’ll get a good long stretch of use out them.

9 or 10 speed, though?

9 speed’s a slice cheaper at the moment and I could keep the same rear mech, but how long’s it going to be around for?

wwaswas

I’d like to help but I don’t have 2020 vision.

cynic-al
    Free Member

well 7 is still available, 22 years after coming in and 20 (?) years after 8s coming in?.

Milkie
    Free Member

The Hope cassette might be out before 2020…. I wouldn’t hold my breath tho! 😆

justatheory
    Free Member

Along with the Hope pedals too

Milkie
    Free Member

Pedals are at Crankworx, Hope-fully won’t be too long now. 😉

teamslug
    Free Member

2020? surely we will all be riding the much hype gearbox bikes by then with 75 gears and hover mode!!!!

PaulD
    Free Member

ned,

If 9-sp does for you now, just stock up with a couple of shifters and a few cassettes as bargains arise.
    Given the massive inflation over the last 5 years, buying new at the right time has been much better than saving or stuffing the mattress.
    9-Sp XT/Ultegra or PG990 is the way to invest.

I still run 7-sp and 8-sp on old bikes and have a stock of new cassettes.

PaulD

LsD
    Free Member

In 2020 we will all be riding hoverbikes. And visiting the moon in flying cars…….

GW
    Free Member

hopefully there’ll be nice 5 or 6 speed cassettes around by then along with decent bolt thru hubs with short freehub bodies and wider dishless flanges.

nedrapier

tht’s the thing really, 8 speed is doing well for me now, except teh shifters are getting tired. The curmudgeon in me says 9’s fine and lighter, and cheaper, but if I’m changing anyway, why don’t I play safe and go for 10?

GW
    Free Member

we may even see less fannies riding around with one chainring and massive dinnerplate sprocket cassettes and no chain device by then.. (it’s only 1000000 or so “1x?” STW threads away

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gearboxes, everything else is a stopgap IMO.

As long as the Pitch doesnt die prematurely I reckon my next expensive bike will probbaly be gearboxed if the price continues to drop.

As for 9x Vs 10x I picked up a 1050 cassette and KMC chain for £25 and £15 inthe CRC sales, so for the sake of about £5 a year I’m 10speed.

we may even see less fannies riding around with one chainring and massive dinnerplate sprocket cassettes and no chain device by then.. (it’s only 1000000 or so “1x?” STW threads away

I’ve started answering the question “Is a droper post worth it?” or “how are you finding 1×10?” with “it’s great, it winds GW up and that’s all that matters”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Belt driven internal gears.

GW
    Free Member

TINAS don’t flatter yourself, you’ve never wound me up 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Crystal ballers – What cassette for 2020?’ is closed to new replies.