Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Crud Road Racer Mudguards
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone using these? How do they fit round close clearance road calipers?
    I have no respect for my road bike, so don't care if they look shit!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My brother has some, he rates them quite higly and they look OK too, IMO

sofatester
    Free Member

Hardly notice them, fit under standard Dura-Ace calipers and keep the road spray to a minimum. Anything else?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've got a question – can they only be mounted on the front if you have a caliper brake to attach them to? if not, is it possible to get them close to the front tyre with no front brake, and a larger gap up from guard to crown?

DezB
    Free Member

Hardly notice them, fit under standard Dura-Ace calipers and keep the road spray to a minimum. Anything else?

Nope that'll do for me. On the Christmas list they go. (anyone got Santa's address?)

JoB
    Free Member

they fit under close clearance road calipers fine, because they're designed to

if you haven't got a front caliper to mount them to i guess you could put a bolt through the hole in the fork and strap the guards to that, might require bodging

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers for the info.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have attempted to fit these mudguards to a cross bike with Cantis, the problem is there is no brake bolt to hang the mudguard from, I tried mounting them to the crown of the fork/frame but the distance was too large and they rubbed on the tyre at the rear. I then tried making a spacer but that was pretty crap.
    I ended up putting my SKS Race Blades back on with a cable tie to attach them to the crown of the fork/frame.
    The Crud guards are also pretty flimsy, I know they are designed to break if they get caught in your machinery, but they don't look like they will last long. I am sticking with the SKS Race Blades.

Doug

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I have attempted to fit these mudguards to a cross bike with Cantis, the problem is there is no brake bolt to hang the mudguard from, I tried mounting them to the crown of the fork/frame but the distance was too large and they rubbed on the tyre at the rear. I then tried making a spacer but that was pretty crap.

😕

So, basically you've attempted to use them for something they are not designed for, and due to them not working you think they are crap?? 🙄

redhairjon
    Free Member

Take them off before sticking your bike in the car! I now have to straighten one of the arms – doh!

Maltloaf

I've got a set I've fitted but don't now need. Will do them for £15 posted if anyone is interested.

Email in profile

BigDummy
    Free Member

I couldn't use the forward extension of the rear mudguard without it fouling the tyre. In fairness, I had as much rubber under the brakes as I was going to et away with, so I'm not surprised. Wettest ride in today I''ve had for a while, and my feet and backside in particular arrived a lot drier than I expected. I like them, and they look vastly better than raceblades. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Maltloaf, I guess having them before Xmas won't hurt. ygm

JoB
    Free Member

if you want to fit guards on a 'cross bike you've bought the wrong bike and should have got a tourer with the ability to fit a nice proper full set of mudguards on

😉

DezB
    Free Member

JoB's got a point there!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought them for my touring bike as I hate propper guards with a passion (shocking looks, disproportionate weight, noisy, not exactly aero, snap-tastic, need adjusting ecary time the bike gets clattered in the rack).

Anyone got a bodge to fit them?

Or care to recomend some good touring guards that actualy work in the real world? Mr Crud, are you out there? Can you make one (or just addapters) for touring bikes pretty please?

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, Jo's just a mudguard Nazi (Godwin?) 🙂

JoB
    Free Member

i'm a YouThinkYoureTooCoolForATouringBikeSoYouBoughtACrossBike Nazi actually

🙂

momentum
    Free Member

I bought them for my touring bike as I hate propper guards with a passion (shocking looks, disproportionate weight, noisy, not exactly aero, snap-tastic, need adjusting ecary time the bike gets clattered in the rack).

I didn't have any of those problems with my SKS chromoplastics attached to proper mudguard eyes, apart from the aero point, but when I'm commuting in the rain and wind with a bunch of stuff I'm more worried about being dry than being aero. Looks are for you to decide, but I quite like the look of bikes that have been well designed for their function.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Dont fit on my Giant SCR3 with 25c tyres and I suspect they may not even fit with 23c tyres either as the arms dont quite seem long enough so I have switched back to front race blade and rear bolt on SKS.

theflatboy
    Free Member

see i've got this fork:

(though not attached to the same bike as above) and want to achieve a nice snug fit for the front guard, but don't know what is used in this pic:

or where one obtains one!

rolfharris
    Free Member

A guy at work has the cruds and hates them. We all use Race Blades, and unless you're the guy sat behind them and aren't bothered about how they look they're better it'd seem. Bits keep falling off his! The end bits of the flaps, the bushings etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Theflatboy – I'd hazard a guess that's a cork. Or, if it isn't I think a cork would probably work. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Jo, what's your take on a cross bike for racing and commuting on during the week (with raceblades)? 😉

adeward
    Free Member

i have just put some crud ones, on my old 70's pug it has campag brakes they fitted very well , they do fit very tight to the tyre tread and side wall , but with the adjustment provided it was possible to get them clear ,,
    not sure how well the little furry pads on the braking surface will last

overall well engineered product

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe its just the make/model I had on my last bike, no idea what they were, but they were properly attached, yet the slightest knock would bend the stays, making them rub, which meant when locking the bike up the either the lock, the stand or the next bike to be pile in would add 5 minutes faffing before I could get on my way again,

They were last seen flying over a hedge soemwhere in Berkshire folowed by a streak of expletives so blue they'd make an Italian blush.

JoB
    Free Member

"Jo, what's your take on a cross bike for racing and commuting on during the week (with raceblades)? "

over

😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers BD, the man himself has confirmed the very same! sure i've got a cork or two lying around!

adstick
    Free Member

they're designed for tyres up to 23mm…

genesis
    Free Member

Won't fit my carbon Defy, so have had to get SKS Raceblades instead 🙁

oddjob
    Free Member

I fitted a pair to my Cervelo soloist, no problem on the rear, but I couldn't get the front on without it rubbing and it drove me mad so I took them off again. Wish I'd bought the SKS ones now 🙁

halfbee
    Free Member

rtfm or failing that wtfv

gray

I couldn't get them to fit under my Mavic SSC brakes (with 23mm GP4000), even after WTFV.

plop_pants
    Free Member

very happy with my crud road racers, but I did have to modify them by extending the rear mudguard down to the BB with a bit of old sks mudguard. Without that extra bit any water picked up would get thrown straight onto the back of my legs and chain.

GlenMore
    Free Member

adstick – Member

they're designed for tyres up to 23mm…

25mm actually

cheers_drive

I like them apart from the pathetic squeaking they make and I just can't adjust them to stop it.

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

good guards, used on TCR with Ultegra.

I know two people who have fitted them and have done it wrong so they dont like the crud guards. Shame as I think its a good fix.

The best thing is get a winter bike with mudguard eyes cos none of the race guards/clip on options are the real deal are they.

you will Get kicked to the back of the winter club run

GlenMore
    Free Member

Anyone found a source of re-usable zip-ties yet?

john_l
    Free Member

My 2penneth…..

I had to take a craft knife to my crud guards as the clearance under the fork on my Scapin was very tight. Think this is mentioned in the instructions as a possibility. But it really didn't take long (would recommend a responsible adult does this for you though) they now work beautifully.

I've got a Peregrine too, & the wheel clearances are huge, so spacers required to get a nice snug & streamlined fit for full length guards. You can get proper spacers but I've just used cork (like Sam in the pic above). Looks spot on & the huge clearance means that I can whip the guards off & race 'cross at the weekend :0)

simondbarnes

I think they're great. Million times better than raceblades which look awful, rattle and give no brake coverage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Crud Road Racer Mudguards’ is closed to new replies.